The Student Room Group

Best unis with that are diverse?

I want to go to a good uni but also want to make sure I have a good time and fit in with people there. I don’t want to end up being the only black kid in my classes. Does anyone know any good unis that have a decent amount of black/POCS ( I know there’s no uni that can have a lot as were minority obvs but unis where black people aren’t scarce is what I mean.)
any London university
@TTAva2000

Cities tend to be more diverse, so a big city would be an obvious choice, that being said, most universities have a large amount of international students so even campuses that you would not expect to be so diverse may be more diverse than you think.

Universities tend to have an African and Caribbean Society and usually other societies based around nationality e.g., the Nigerian Society, so this can be a good way to get know more black people.

I can understand your concerns, but remember that university is an opportunity to get to know lots of different people. All being well, you will get on with the people on your course because you have the same interest in the subject, or you will make good friends with others because you have the same hobbies.

Race can be a factor when it comes to friendship but it doesn't have to be the only one!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by TTAva2000
I want to go to a good uni but also want to make sure I have a good time and fit in with people there. I don’t want to end up being the only black kid in my classes. Does anyone know any good unis that have a decent amount of black/POCS ( I know there’s no uni that can have a lot as were minority obvs but unis where black people aren’t scarce is what I mean.)

City universities would be the best option but it's also down to each course as well as each university so is really difficult to give advice on this on.

If you want to see what we are doing around this area you can check out this link.

if you have any other questions around this feel free to ask!
Reply 4
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@TTAva2000

Cities tend to be more diverse, so a big city would be an obvious choice, that being said, most universities have a large amount of international students so even campuses that you would not expect to be so diverse may be more diverse than you think.

Universities tend to have an African and Caribbean Society and usually other societies based around nationality e.g., the Nigerian Society, so this can be a good way to get know more black people.

I can understand your concerns, but remember that university is an opportunity to get to know lots of different people. All being well, you will get on with the people on your course because you have the same interest in the subject, or you will make good friends with others because you have the same hobbies.

Race can be a factor when it comes to friendship but it doesn't have to be the only one!

All the best,

Oh okay how do I join the societies when I apply? Or enter the university?

You can check the ones out on offer before joining, but otherwise it will usually be something which is advertised in your first 'welcome week'.

You can always start your own society as well if there is not the exact thing you are after!

Our list is here as an example: https://ccsu.co.uk/

The University of Leicester is an incredible University for diversity. As the most cukturally diverse city in England it attracts a lot of international students and POC from the UK. I take psychology there and i’d say 60% of my class is POC (of about 350 students)

Hey there!

I would really advise you to look at De Montfort University as we are one of the most diverse universities in the UK!
These are the words of our VC:
"DMU takes enormous pride in its diverse community. Your backgrounds, cultures and faiths make our university a more vibrant place to learn and grow. I want you to know that we are committed to creating an environment where all individuals feel valued and supported, regardless of their background or identity." You can read more here: https://www.dmu.ac.uk/current-students/hot-topics/2023/may/vc-student-blog-may-2023.aspx

Also, De Montfort University has around 38% of international students, which makes our community even more diverse

I am an international student myself, and I am looking forward for answering any questions you may have,

Take care,

Ilya :smile:

@TTAva2000

You can't join societies before you apply, but you can reach out to different societies to find out more about them. You can check to see if they have a social media page and can reach out to them for more info.

When you start university there will usually be a Freshers' Week where you get to learn about the different societies, meet students from them, and where you can find out information about the events they run and when they meet. They will typically let you know when the first meeting is, which means you can check it out and see if you want to join.

Some societies are free to attend, some have a membership fee.

Hope that helps,

Hi @TTAva2000,

As mentioned before by others, race does not have to be the only factor in making friends but sometimes it does help to establish common ground. At the University of Kent we have over 250 societies. Some of these include POCAS (people of colour arts society), you can check them all out before you apply. We also encourage societies to be inclusive and diverse, this year Barbell (a weightlifting based society) was awarded the 'equality, diversity and inclusion champion club of the year'.

As also mentioned before, Canterbury is a city (where our campus is based) which may mean that it is more diverse compared to other locations in the UK. There are also many international students that come to study at Kent.

Take a look at our website and Kent Union website to see how we encourage diversity and inclusivity.

As someone from the BAME community myself, I have never felt out of place or that my background prevented me from doing anything that I wanted to achieve at this University.

Let me know if you have any more questions or want to talk more about this! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi there , I can relate to your concerns I am a black female originally from South Africa and I had the same concerns when I applied to university. I got into all the universities I applied to but ultimately when I went to open days I felt like there wasn't a great representation of people of color. One of the reasons I picked DMU was because the city is very diverse and so is the campus. I felt well represented at the open day and continue to feel that way as a student living in Leicester.
Being away from home, it is very important that you live in an environment where you feel safe and are a part of a community that you can connect with. DMU is home to thousands of international students and students of color and there are many societies and clubs that promote unity among different ethnic groups and you would definitely feel accepted , valued, and seen.

I suggest you try to attend some open days and see how you feel when you are there in person. I hope this helps and goodluck !
Cece
Energy Engineering student
De Montfort University
(edited 8 months ago)

Hi there,
Like a few people have mentioned, aiming for those that are in main cities rather than smaller towns tends to result in more mixed intakes. Many uni's tend to be diverse due to students from all over the world attending too. Sunderland welcomes around a fifth of students from outside the UK from over 100 countries. Attending open days is a good way to get a feel for the campus, I know that when I visited Sunderland for the first time, that's when I got a true sense of what they were offering and whether I could see myself there or not. What course are you looking to study?
As also advised above, joining clubs and societies can also help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending