The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

University options

Hi guys just wanted some advice so I am in yr13 and im picking my choices on where to study at uni. So i am contemplating between Lancaster, Leeds and Exeter and I was just wondering about the diversity and the people at these unis.
P.S I want to study business economics in uni
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi guys just wanted some advice so I am in yr13 and im picking my choices on where to study at uni. So i am contemplating between Lancaster, Leeds and Exeter and I was just wondering about the diversity and the people at these unis.

Leeds student here. It's known as a social uni since it's right next to the city center and is generally a welcoming place even if your a bit quieter than most. It's also known to be progressive politically and is very diverse in the people you will meet.
Don't know much about Lancaster but I know it's far from the city meaning almost all your time would be spent on campus. Other than that I'm not too sure what the atmosphere is like.
Got an offer from Exeter so know it's also not far from the city, but the nightlight and social side is nowhere near as big as what you'd get at Leeds if that's what you want. It's more focused on study, but like most unis you will eventually find your people. Exeter is stereotypically associated with being less diverse, but my friends who went have positive things to say about it so I'm sure you'd enjoy it if you went.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2

I´ve applied to Leeds and Exeter as well! (for PPE in both). The difference is I´m applying from abroad. If there's anything you find out please lmk. It´s quite hard for me to research unis in England from where I live :/.
Reply 3
Lancaster has a lot of international students. I was at the chinese new year celebrations this weekend and there was a lot of diversity there which was great. They also have their statistics if it helps, https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/media/lancaster-university/content-assets/documents/edi/EDIAnnualReport2021-22PostCouncil.pdf you want page 21. If you go down the table in years, the white student % is getting less and less and other ethnicity gaining.
It might be worth looking at the EDI annual reports at each of the unis.

Hi there,

It's great to hear you are considering the University of Exeter! From personal experience, I have found the student community to be really welcoming and friendly! It can definitely feel daunting when arriving at university, however, I found the transition to be really smooth! My best advice would be to join any clubs and societies you can, and put yourself out there - you really shouldn't have any problem meeting some really great people!
As with diversity - there is a general perception that Exeter lacks diversity. However, I have friends from all different backgrounds. As with any university, some crowds tend to stick together, but there is no reason to let this affect your decision. As I have already mentioned, as long as you make the effort to engage with the student community, there will be plenty of opportunities to meet new friends!

Aside from this, I know it can be really daunting making a decision! There are a few factors I found helpful to consider:

Take a closer look at the course you are interested in - university course usually vary slightly in terms of contact hours, modules on offer, placement opportunities, assessment types, areas of expertise. You may find that one course suits you better than the other!

Consider the societies and clubs that are available - engaging with the student community is a key part of university life! It helps you make new friends, find new interests and escape from the pressures that come with studying at university. You may be involved in a certain sport, or have a certain hobby - again, societies vary from university to university, so this may be worth taking a look at!

Think about the area you want to live - do you prefer a city or campus? Personally, I have found Exeter to be the perfect mix of the two. On campus, everything is really close together and easy to navigate. It is only a 10-15 minute walk into town, where there are plenty of pubs, restaurants, bars, clubs to choose from. It is a 20 minute train ride to the beach - perfect when the weather is a bit nicer! I am also only a 2 hour train ride from home - this was really important to me, especially in first year when I knew I would be travelling back and forth more regularly. Again, something worth considering!

On a personal note, I have really enjoyed my time at the University of Exeter! The staff are excellent and always on hand to deal with any concerns. The Careers team are also really helpful - available for interview practice, CV writing tips, finding job opportunities, etc.

I hope this has helped in some way! Please feel free to get in touch with any further questions!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending