The Student Room Group

Computer science undergraduate degree without any prior experience in CS.

I have enrolled at a non RG university for a computer science undergraduate degree. I have absolutely no prior experience in computer science. The entry requirements for the course didnt specify any subjects that I needed. It just said I needed the grades and didn't mention any subjects. Im worried I might not be able to handle the course without any prior experience in computer science. I'm a hard worker and can follow instructions easily. Will they teach me from the very basics or just throw me straight in. I'm a bit worried. Any answers will be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Venom765
I have enrolled at a non RG university for a computer science undergraduate degree. I have absolutely no prior experience in computer science. The entry requirements for the course didnt specify any subjects that I needed. It just said I needed the grades and didn't mention any subjects. Im worried I might not be able to handle the course without any prior experience in computer science. I'm a hard worker and can follow instructions easily. Will they teach me from the very basics or just throw me straight in. I'm a bit worried. Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

They won't expect any prior knowledge, but many other students on the course will have it. This means they may pick up things faster than you, which isn't ideal. If you are "a hard worker and can follow instructions easily" then hopefully you'll catch up with them before too long and it'll stop being an issue.

Note, by the way, that many uni courses are of the "work this out on your own" rather than "follow instructions" variety. So you need to prepare yourself for some of that.

Fortunately, there are lost of on-line resources for IT and Computer Science related topics, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending