The Student Room Group

What a-levels should be the best for computer science degree?

Hi I’m in yr11 going to do my GCSEs. A levels are gonna come up and I want to do a computer science degree preferably or something to do with finance/mathy. I want to do 3 alevels at most. I heard further maths is very recommended. But if I take further maths I will have to take maths with it aswell. What should I take for the third option. Computer science or physics for example. I don’t know if I have to take cs or a science. I’m so baffled about this because other people who do cs do a science. HELP PLS AND THANK YOU.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by alistudysforfun
Hi I’m in yr11 going to do my GCSEs. A levels are gonna come up and I want to do a computer science degree preferably or something to do with finance/mathy. I want to do 3 alevels at most. I heard further maths is very recommended. But if I take further maths I will have to take maths with it aswell. What should I take for the third option. Computer science or physics for example. I don’t know if I have to take cs or a science. I’m so baffled about this because other people who do cs do a science. HELP PLS AND THANK YOU.

Top universities for CS require A-Level Maths. Only a few prefer Further Maths alongside it. Have you checked out some sixth forms/colleges since not all sixth forms/colleges will offer Further Maths.

A-Level Computer Science is not a requirement so as long as you have A-Level Maths you can do any science subjects or if you want to keep your options open you can do a mix like A-Level Maths, Computer Science, Economics.
Reply 2
I'm going to university for computer science this September, and all the universities I applied to required maths as an A-level so would recommend definitely picking this as one of your choices. I also did further maths and computer science alongside this, but I know some people who did physics too. You don't have to do a science but it is recommended if you're aiming for the top universities. Look into what your sixth form offers subject wise, because not all will offer further maths and computer science, and go with what you think will be best for you :smile:
Original post by megpar
I'm going to university for computer science this September, and all the universities I applied to required maths as an A-level so would recommend definitely picking this as one of your choices. I also did further maths and computer science alongside this, but I know some people who did physics too. You don't have to do a science but it is recommended if you're aiming for the top universities. Look into what your sixth form offers subject wise, because not all will offer further maths and computer science, and go with what you think will be best for you :smile:

Yeah my sixth form offers further maths and computer science. So what university are you studying at if you don’t mind telling. Also so if I pick a science instead of cs is it considered better and the top Russel group unis would prefer it? Also do you have any friends doing cs and like what a levels did they do. Sorry for my curiosity I just need to know. Thanks. Also do you HAVE to do cs for an alevel for computer science degree? If I don’t will I be lacking?
(edited 8 months ago)

Yes, FM requires A-level Maths. That's because the content from A-level FM assumes the content of A-level Maths - you can't do FM without it. However, degrees in CS, maths, economics, and some finance courses that are more mathematical require A-level Maths anyway. So you really should be planning to take A-level Maths as a bare minimum regardless.

After A-level Maths, then yes FM is the next best choice for your second A-level for CS or degrees in e.g. economics etc, both in that it provides you with important background that you'll cover in the degree at some point anyway, and because a couple of unis strongly prefer (or even implicitly or explicitly require) it for those courses.

Your third subject can be in whatever. CS degrees normally do not assume any prior knowledge of the subject or prior experience of programming so not taking A-level CS doesn't limit you. Beyond that literally any subject is fine - there is no preference for those doing a science for example. Just take whatever you'll get the best grade in - the only caveat that it's probably recommended to take a subject that is traditionally academic (i.e. not a vocational or applied subject - there aren't many of these left, stuff like accounting, electronics, anything with the word "applied" in the name).

People applying to CS with a science do so not because it is required, but because normally strong mathematical skills are required, and those who do well in maths often also do well in the sciences and they have just taken subjects they are good at. You would be perfectly well off doing a language, politics, history, economics, philosophy, sociology etc, as you would taking CS, physics, chemistry, biology or similar.
(edited 8 months ago)
Yeah my sixth form offers further maths and computer science. So what university are you studying at if you don’t mind telling. Also so if I pick a science instead of cs is it considered better and the top Russel group unis would prefer it? Also do you have any friends doing cs and like what a levels did they do. Sorry for my curiosity I just need to know. Thanks. Also do you HAVE to do cs for an alevel for computer science degree? If I don’t will I be lacking?

Further maths would be a major benefit if you apply to the likes of Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick etc. Take a look at their entry requirements.
Reply 6
Yeah my sixth form offers further maths and computer science. So what university are you studying at if you don’t mind telling. Also so if I pick a science instead of cs is it considered better and the top Russel group unis would prefer it? Also do you have any friends doing cs and like what a levels did they do. Sorry for my curiosity I just need to know. Thanks

I'm starting at Bristol in September and all the other unis I applied for were top Russell groups and I got into all five of my choices. I did computer science, maths and further maths for my A-levels, so I wouldn't say you need to do one of the typical sciences. However, further maths would benefit you a lot if you were thinking of applying to Oxbridge, Warwick, Durham etc. I think computer science might be considered as a science by some universities anyway and would put you in a good place knowledge wise when you start your degree. My other friend who applied for computer science did maths, computer science and physics and also applied to top Russell groups and got into most of her choices (rejected from Oxford), so I would say you could really mix any of the subjects I've mentioned, and other sciences, as long as you have maths.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, FM requires A-level Maths. That's because the content from A-level FM assumes the content of A-level Maths - you can't do FM without it. However, degrees in CS, maths, economics, and some finance courses that are more mathematical require A-level Maths anyway. So you really should be planning to take A-level Maths as a bare minimum regardless.

After A-level Maths, then yes FM is the next best choice for your second A-level for CS or degrees in e.g. economics etc, both in that it provides you with important background that you'll cover in the degree at some point anyway, and because a couple of unis strongly prefer (or even implicitly or explicitly require) it for those courses.

Your third subject can be in whatever. CS degrees normally do not assume any prior knowledge of the subject or prior experience of programming so not taking A-level CS doesn't limit you. Beyond that literally any subject is fine - there is no preference for those doing a science for example. Just take whatever you'll get the best grade in - the only caveat that it's probably recommended to take a subject that is traditionally academic (i.e. not a vocational or applied subject - there aren't many of these left, stuff like accounting, electronics, anything with the word "applied" in the name).

People applying to CS with a science do so not because it is required, but because normally strong mathematical skills are required, and those who do well in maths often also do well in the sciences and they have just taken subjects they are good at. You would be perfectly well off doing a language, politics, history, economics, philosophy, sociology etc, as you would taking CS, physics, chemistry, biology or similar.

Thank you so much. Are you doing cs because you got quite the knowledge there about it. Thanks again.
Original post by megpar
I'm starting at Bristol in September and all the other unis I applied for were top Russell groups and I got into all five of my choices. I did computer science, maths and further maths for my A-levels, so I wouldn't say you need to do one of the typical sciences. However, further maths would benefit you a lot if you were thinking of applying to Oxbridge, Warwick, Durham etc. I think computer science might be considered as a science by some universities anyway and would put you in a good place knowledge wise when you start your degree. My other friend who applied for computer science did maths, computer science and physics and also applied to top Russell groups and got into most of her choices (rejected from Oxford), so I would say you could really mix any of the subjects I've mentioned, and other sciences, as long as you have maths.

Appreciate it a lot this info will really help me in the long run since I’m going into yr11. What unis did you get accepted by or by your friend. If you don’t mind telling.
Thank you so much. Are you doing cs because you got quite the knowledge there about it. Thanks again.

No, but I was doing EE previously though and have known people doing CS.
Reply 10
Appreciate it a lot this info will really help me in the long run since I’m going into yr11. What unis did you get accepted by or by your friend. If you don’t mind telling.

No problem :smile: I applied and got into Durham, Warwick, Birmingham, Bristol and Cardiff. My friend is going to Birmingham, but I'm not quite sure where else she applied to other than York, and got rejected from Oxford as I mentioned before. Good luck with your GCSE's!

Quick Reply

Latest