The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Science with AAB?

What are some good universities for computer science that will take AAB. The B is in maths and I know some unis require an A or A* in maths.
Reply 1
There’s QMUL, QUB, Surrey, Glasgow, Loughborough etc. However, there are AAA requiring universities that do accept AAB students, so it’s not a bad idea to apply to AAA universities such as York or Lancaster. Have a look at whatuni.com and see where you can go with your grades. They recommend you the best universities you can go to with your grades.

However, I personally don’t think it’s a good idea to go to CS with a B in maths. CS is heavily maths-related, so you have to be good at maths in order to complete the course. If you did your best and got a B in maths, you probably won’t do so well in CS. But if you think that you didn’t do your best and you can do better, CS is a great major to major in so I won’t tell you not to go into it.
Reply 2
Original post by sk0917
There’s QMUL, QUB, Surrey, Glasgow, Loughborough etc. However, there are AAA requiring universities that do accept AAB students, so it’s not a bad idea to apply to AAA universities such as York or Lancaster. Have a look at whatuni.com and see where you can go with your grades. They recommend you the best universities you can go to with your grades.

However, I personally don’t think it’s a good idea to go to CS with a B in maths. CS is heavily maths-related, so you have to be good at maths in order to complete the course. If you did your best and got a B in maths, you probably won’t do so well in CS. But if you think that you didn’t do your best and you can do better, CS is a great major to major in so I won’t tell you not to go into it.

I had an A in computer science so I think I will be fine. I also have loved the subject since Year 8 and do well in it. Thank you for your assumptions. Thank you for your help also.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by marsx
I had an A in computer science so I think I will be fine. I also have loved the subject since Year 8 and do well in it. Thank you for your assumptions. Thank you for your help also.

Here is a list of universities that didnt require Maths A level for CS, Have a look through these and then check their current requirements.

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics
Reply 4
Thank you! Forgot to mention in the post I did my A Levels abroad and moved back recently, and hence I am on a gap year.
It shouldnt really have any impact. Check the entry requirements as these are 2 years out of date but I suspect most will accept you with a B in A level Maths.
Original post by marsx
What are some good universities for computer science that will take AAB. The B is in maths and I know some unis require an A or A* in maths.

Hi,
The University of Kent asks for BBB in your A Levels for Computer Science with no specific subjects as a requirement. They also ask for at least a 4 in GCSE maths.
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/124/computer-science
This degree is accredited by the BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council and is an Academic Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security Research. The university of Kent also offers a year in the industry, if this interests you, this will give you further connections in your field to expand your future prospects :smile:
- Malek
University of Kent Rep
Hi @marsx,

I saw that Loughborough was mentioned, so I wanted to reply to your comment.

At Loughborough, we have two courses that may be of interest to you and you can read more information about them at the links below.

Computer Science BSc: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc/
Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence BSc: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-and-artificial-intelligence-bsc/

The pages above include entry requirements for the courses, module information and information about careers related to the courses.

If you have any other questions at all, let me know. Good luck with your future studies!

- Lindsay :smile:
Original post by marsx

Hi there,

It's really great to see that you're interested in studying Computer Science at university, you're clearly passionate and it's a fantastic subject to study :smile:

At Aberystwyth we have a very long list of Computer Science based courses, you can see the full list on our website here:
https://courses.aber.ac.uk/subjects/undergraduate#computer-science
We have everything from Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence to Robotics and Embedded Systems Engineering.
We also don't require Maths A Level to study these courses.

Here are a few facts for you about our Computer Science Department:
- Top 10 in the UK for Teaching Quality for the subject of Computer Science
- Top 15 in the UK for Student Experience for the subject of Computer Science
- Top 5 in the UK and 2nd in Wales for overall student satisfaction for the subject of Computer Science
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/study-with-us/subjects/computer-science/

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, I would be very happy to help :smile:
Anna
Reply 9
City University is a good option.
Reply 10
Original post by swanseajack1
It shouldnt really have any impact. Check the entry requirements as these are 2 years out of date but I suspect most will accept you with a B in A level Maths.

Hi, just wondering are there any good universities that are taking January admissions at the moment?
Original post by marsx
Hi, just wondering are there any good universities that are taking January admissions at the moment?

I doubt there will be many. I know Swansea were due to covid but generally admissions are September. You will just need to check.
I doubt there will be many. I know Swansea were due to covid but generally admissions are September. You will just need to check.

Swansea are taking students in Jan but it is for international students only. You could give them a ring to see if they will accept you.
JOIN SWANSEA UNIVERSITY IN JANUARY 2023
We are pleased to offer a number of Undergraduate courses that start in January 2023, for international applicants only. So, it’s not too late to join Swansea University and graduate in 2025.

All courses available for start in January 2023 will involve an accelerated first year that will see you studying throughout the summer and progressing to Year 2 in September 2023, meaning you can graduate alongside your September 2022 classmates, in summer 2025.
Reply 13
Swansea are taking students in Jan but it is for international students only. You could give them a ring to see if they will accept you.
JOIN SWANSEA UNIVERSITY IN JANUARY 2023
We are pleased to offer a number of Undergraduate courses that start in January 2023, for international applicants only. So, it’s not too late to join Swansea University and graduate in 2025.

All courses available for start in January 2023 will involve an accelerated first year that will see you studying throughout the summer and progressing to Year 2 in September 2023, meaning you can graduate alongside your September 2022 classmates, in summer 2025.

It says their January applications are closed on the website. :frown: Thank you anyways!
Reply 14
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi @marsx,

I saw that Loughborough was mentioned, so I wanted to reply to your comment.

At Loughborough, we have two courses that may be of interest to you and you can read more information about them at the links below.

Computer Science BSc: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc/
Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence BSc: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-and-artificial-intelligence-bsc/

The pages above include entry requirements for the courses, module information and information about careers related to the courses.

If you have any other questions at all, let me know. Good luck with your future studies!

- Lindsay :smile:

Do u accept AAB as an alternative offer cause the other websites state that entry requirement is AAB
Original post by shin.lwin
Do u accept AAB as an alternative offer cause the other websites state that entry requirement is AAB

Hi @shin.lwin,

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying at Loughborough.

I would recommend emailing [email protected] to discuss your question.

If you have any questions about life at Loughborough in the meantime, let me know :smile:

- Lindsay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending