The Student Room Group

Opportunity to switch Unis after a year or 2?

I was an A* Maths A* History A Physics predicted student but massively underperformed due to certain circumstances 2 years in a row. Got CCC the first time and DDE the second respectively.
I only qualified and got offers for foundation Physics courses as a result and am going to accept one of em soon.
My main question is whether it is a possibility that I can get a place in a better university a year or two into my course based off of me doing well. I dont have anything to stop me from achieving anymore but top unis all still want students that met their original first year entrance grades for AL which I clearly wasnt able to do. Will I end up at the Uni I end up choosing for the rest of the course or is there any proven methods of getting the chance to switch to a higher ranking uni (like top 15)?
Original post by M3NT4LB0o
I was an A* Maths A* History A Physics predicted student but massively underperformed due to certain circumstances 2 years in a row. Got CCC the first time and DDE the second respectively.
I only qualified and got offers for foundation Physics courses as a result and am going to accept one of em soon.
My main question is whether it is a possibility that I can get a place in a better university a year or two into my course based off of me doing well. I dont have anything to stop me from achieving anymore but top unis all still want students that met their original first year entrance grades for AL which I clearly wasnt able to do. Will I end up at the Uni I end up choosing for the rest of the course or is there any proven methods of getting the chance to switch to a higher ranking uni (like top 15)?

It is usually extremely difficult to "trade up" like this, most universities will still want any transfer in students to match their standard off, and many won't accept year 2 transfers.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Wednesday
It is usually extremely difficult to "trade up" like this, most universities will still want any transfer in students to match their standard off, and many won't accept year 2 transfers.

Thanks for the clarification. I wanted to ask since you didnt say its impossible, do you know of any cases where it has happened?
Reply 3
Thanks for the clarification. I wanted to ask since you didnt say its impossible, do you know of any cases where it has happened?

I've seen it once in about 10 years
Reply 4

There is no proven method of getting the chance to switch to a higher ranking uni and it's very unusual because as you know, they will still look at your A level grades however well you are doing on the degree. Honestly, you should just throw yourself into uni life at the uni you choose to accept, make friends and settle there. The uni you attend is unlikely to matter for a Physics based job. The class of degree you get and your particular academic interests will be more important by that stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending