The Student Room Group

UCL Linguistics or Experimental Linguistics

I have just received offers for both Linguistics and Experimental Linguistics at UCL, but I’m not sure which to pick as I’m not sure which one would suit me more.
I’m more interested in psycholinguistics, language acquisition and multilingualism, but I don’t know which of the two will cover these areas more.
I know that the Experimental Linguistics programme will be better for my future in terms of career options as its BSc as compared to the BA for the Linguistics programme, but given that I’m more of a humanities person, which of the options would suit me more?
I think it comes down to just how much more of the STEM side will I be learning in the experimental linguistics programme and what that looks like.
Can someone help?
Original post by mimi_113
I have just received offers for both Linguistics and Experimental Linguistics at UCL, but I’m not sure which to pick as I’m not sure which one would suit me more.
I’m more interested in psycholinguistics, language acquisition and multilingualism, but I don’t know which of the two will cover these areas more.
I know that the Experimental Linguistics programme will be better for my future in terms of career options as its BSc as compared to the BA for the Linguistics programme, but given that I’m more of a humanities person, which of the options would suit me more?
I think it comes down to just how much more of the STEM side will I be learning in the experimental linguistics programme and what that looks like.
Can someone help?

Experimental linguistics is no better for any kind of career elements? Employers don't give a toss if you have a BSc or BA. They barely even care what subject area you're doing usually. You should be careful before making sweeping assumptions, especially when basing major decisions on that...

Both programmes are based in the same department and share module options. You just have certain experimental ones that are reserved for the experimental students (although several are available to both). They're both as "STEM like" as each other (which is not very - linguistics is not a STEM subject).

Language acquisition is probably better represented on the BA programme as it links a lot to the syntatic theory that is the basis of that. I don't really think multilingualism is a huge feature of the department at UCL at all. Psycholinguistics would be available on both sides. Note that the experimental side of the experimental course is more to do with phonetics and experimental phonology as I understand it?
Can someone help?
if i was you i would go to the UCL offer holder day tomorrow and speak to the lecturers about it. they will be able to give you the best answer!
Can someone help?

oo i applied for bsc experimental linguistics :smile:
Reply 4
I'm in the EXACT same boat! holding offers for both of them and not knowing which to firm!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending