The Student Room Group

Applying for Linguistics 2024

Hi, I am planning to apply for Linguistics for 2024 entry. I am currently interested in Lancaster, York, Sheffield, Birmingham, Cardiff, Leeds, Wolverhampton, Newcastle and Manchester and I achieved AAB in my mocks.

I wondered if anyone else was considering applying or if anyone doing Linguistics at undergrad level could provide some advice on personal statements, like what to include or resources I should be reading or experience I should be gaining over the summer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and it would be lovely to speak to any other people who are considering applying. :smile:
Original post by maishhh
Hi, I am planning to apply for Linguistics for 2024 entry. I am currently interested in Lancaster, York, Sheffield, Birmingham, Cardiff, Leeds, Wolverhampton, Newcastle and Manchester and I achieved AAB in my mocks.

I wondered if anyone else was considering applying or if anyone doing Linguistics at undergrad level could provide some advice on personal statements, like what to include or resources I should be reading or experience I should be gaining over the summer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and it would be lovely to speak to any other people who are considering applying. :smile:

There is a Personal Statement Advice forum on TSR that will help you. Also some examples of personal statements by subject:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/linguistics/

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6666418
Original post by maishhh

Hi!

We have some handy personal statement advice on our website that you might find helpful! If you like, I can get in contact with our Linguistics department and see if they have any extra advice to give you?

Hazel :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by University of York
Hi!

We have some handy personal statement advice on our website that you might find helpful! If you like, I can get in contact with our Linguistics department and see if they have any extra advice to give you?

Hi, this is so helpful thank you! I'd really appreciate it if you could get in contact with them for me.

I am particularly interested in York's BSc Linguistics degree but also the BA, does the department have any particular desirable qualities for BSc applicants, e.g. is a science related A Level subject a preference, or are the requirements the same as for the BA? :smile:

Additionally, advice for my personal statement would be super valuable! Thank you so much.
Original post by maishhh
Hi, this is so helpful thank you! I'd really appreciate it if you could get in contact with them for me.

I am particularly interested in York's BSc Linguistics degree but also the BA, does the department have any particular desirable qualities for BSc applicants, e.g. is a science related A Level subject a preference, or are the requirements the same as for the BA? :smile:

Additionally, advice for my personal statement would be super valuable! Thank you so much.

Hi,

I've contacted the department and I'll let you know their response :smile:
Original post by maishhh

Hi!

This is the advice from the department:

- What one university is looking for may not be the same as another and your personal statement will be the same for all five of your UCAS choices, so it's difficult to give advice on what your personal statement should include.

- The entry requirements are the same for the BSc and the BA. We don't ask for any specific subjects.

- There's no compulsory reading to be done in advance but here is some suggested background reading:

- The language instinct by Stephen Pinker
- The unfolding of Language by Guy Deutscher
- Language Myths by Laurie Bauer/Peter Trudgill
- The Articulate Mammal by Jean Aitchison
- The Stories of English by David Crystal

- We would also recommend any other books by David Crystal on language, linguistics or the English language.

Hope this helps!

Original post by maishhh

Hi @maishhh

Thanks for your interest in our Linguistics BA Honours (Q100) programme.

You can use the link above to find further information on course content and module choices, funding options and tuition fees, entry requirements, and contact details for any further queries you may have.

Furthermore, reading lists for this programme can be found by scrolling to the ‘Modules & Learning’ section on the course page. Click on the module you are interested in to bring up more information including the reading list (usually found by scrolling to the end of the page). Please be assured that pre-reading is not essential.

You can view our tips for writing a great personal statement on our handy eBook. This guide will help you catch the eye of admissions tutors and secure a place on your chosen degree.

I hope this helps!
Scott
Original post by maishhh

hiya @maishhh, my name is Emmanuella from London! i am also considering studying linguistics in 2024. i am also interested in both york and leeds and i will definitely check out the other unis u listed :smile:!!!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by emm4nuella
hiya @maishhh, my name is Emmanuella from London! i am also considering studying linguistics in 2024. i am also interested in both york and leeds and i will definitely check out the other unis u listed :smile:!!!

That’s great!! I’d love to speak to someone else who is applying - let me know if you’d like to contact to discuss applying etc :smile:
Original post by maishhh
That’s great!! I’d love to speak to someone else who is applying - let me know if you’d like to contact to discuss applying etc :smile:

yes sure!! that would be nice <3! let me know how you want to do that :smile:!! do you have a top choice yet?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by emm4nuella
yes sure!! that would be nice <3! let me know how you want to do that :smile:!! do you have a top choice yet?

hey!! can you send me your snap or insta or something through pm and i’ll add you? it doesn’t let me use private messaging on here yet because i’ve not commented on forums enough oops.

regarding top choices, i’m still yet to visit a few unis so not sure yet but york is my top at the moment!
Original post by maishhh
hey!! can you send me your snap or insta or something through pm and i’ll add you? it doesn’t let me use private messaging on here yet because i’ve not commented on forums enough oops.

regarding top choices, i’m still yet to visit a few unis so not sure yet but york is my top at the moment!

yay york is also my top at the moment!! unfortunately, i dont have snap or insta! do you have other apps like pinterest or bereal?
Original post by maishhh

ooh i see yeah i did try and private message you :smile:! anyway, let me know whether you have pinterest or bereal! if not, im sure we can find another way!
Reply 13
Hii everyone! I'd love to join in the conversation as my UCAS form has just gone in last week!
I'm looking to do linguistics in 2024 for Edinburgh x2, UCL x2, Lancaster.
My A-levels are as follows: achieved A, predicted AAA, also predicted AS level A.
@maishhh or any other linguistics applicant, feel free to message me on snap: @kijetasantakalu :smile:
hello all have you guys heard of the linguistics olympiad? you can check out the website here if you might want to take part: UKLO for schools: Surprise your students with language puzzles - UKLO :biggrin:!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending