The Student Room Group

Extra strong mints

I eat over 10 packs of extra strong trebor mints a day . I've gained loads of weight I'm not sure if it's the medicine I'm on or the mints. Can someone help thanks
Original post by Tillyt29
I eat over 10 packs of extra strong trebor mints a day . I've gained loads of weight I'm not sure if it's the medicine I'm on or the mints. Can someone help thanks

Trebor Extra Strong Mints are 94% sugar (94g of sugars per 100g of mints: source). Each packet is 48g, so you're eating over 480g of mints and therefore over 451g of sugar a day. Let me change the unit, to see if that helps: that's half a kilo of sugar a day. :eek: And that's in addition to what's in your "regular" food.

Picture yourself grabbing a spoon and tucking into a standard 1kg bag of sugar - the kind that's probably sitting in the kitchen cupboard right now.

You're getting through one of those every couple of days. I don't know what meds you're on, but it seems a safe bet that munching your way through a 1kg bag of sugar every couple of days isn't going to be helping your weight.
Reply 2
its the mints.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Trebor Extra Strong Mints are 94% sugar (94g of sugars per 100g of mints: source). Each packet is 48g, so you're eating over 480g of mints and therefore over 451g of sugar a day. Let me change the unit, to see if that helps: that's half a kilo of sugar a day. :eek: And that's in addition to what's in your "regular" food.

Picture yourself grabbing a spoon and tucking into a standard 1kg bag of sugar - the kind that's probably sitting in the kitchen cupboard right now.

You're getting through one of those every couple of days. I don't know what meds you're on, but it seems a safe bet that munching your way through a 1kg bag of sugar every couple of days isn't going to be helping your weight.

Wow I don't eat much because of the mints I've stop as of last night but it's killing me . Thank you so much for the information
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
mate are you thick? your eating ten packs a day and asking if its ok? sort your life out

Wow no need at all ino its not good but it don't hurt to be nice and I'm not a mate I'm a lass
Reply 5
Wow I don't eat much because of the mints I've stop as of last night but it's killing me . Thank you so much for the information

My medication is for my mental health venlafaxine and matazapine
Why are you eating so many mints every day? As above the mints definitely contain a lot of calories in the form of sugar, which will likely contribute to weight gain if you're eating them alongside regular meals. However understanding why you are eating them so often might help identify if there are alternatives that might meet that need while being less calorie intensive :smile:

Some kinds of antidepressants can be associated with weight gain, but it's almost certainly being largely affected by the significant caloric intake from the mints you're eating. 10 packs is a lot!
Reply 7
Wow no need at all ino its not good but it don't hurt to be nice and I'm not a mate I'm a lass

Trebor extra strong mints caused me to lose weight in my teens, I ate so many that eating anything tasted awful. I would feel sick frequently but if I had a mint it stopped. It was a viscious circle until my mum twigged on and stepped in. Studies show that mint can cause a spike in serotonin, that shouldn't be ignored.
However, and I sat this as a person that cares, you also get huge spikes of serotonin from lifting heavy weights 👍 get to the gym and get some compound moves in!!!!!
Bin the mints!
Good luck chick x

Quick Reply

Latest