The Student Room Group

Taking 2 year gap before uni

My daughter got rejection from all 5 choices for Economics course. She got A*A*A and took a gap year last year and doing furthermaths as an additional A-level. Now if she takes another gap year, are there courses or experience that she can look for in Economics. if so what are the best options.
My question is where the heck is she applying to for her to be rejected by all 5 options with those grades??
Where is she applying? And what did she do in her gap year? If she hasn’t mentioned what she done in her gap year - that may have been her downfall.

Do not fret. UCAS Extra is an option, clearing is also an option so I would recommend looking to apply through UCAS Extra for the time being and maybe get some work experience here and there to really amp up her personal statement.
She ia working parti time and also taking Furthermaths as an additional A level in this gap year.
We really dont know what was wrong with personal statement. Is there some past economic course related personal statement that we can refer?
Also what is best for her to do to get work experience in economics related area?
Original post by Anonymous
She ia working parti time and also taking Furthermaths as an additional A level in this gap year.
We really dont know what was wrong with personal statement. Is there some past economic course related personal statement that we can refer?
Also what is best for her to do to get work experience in economics related area?

I would recommend looking on studential. They have example personal statements and they show where those students got offers and which universities they firmed so your daughter maybe can look at those as a compare.

I don’t know enough about economics to say where she can get experience but some small local economic firms may take her for some experience.

If she applies through Extra and does get an interview, make sure she mentions what she done in her gap year because universities will be looking at that.
Where did she apply? Some of the top economics courses are super competitive. It may be that she was just as strong as most that got offers but was just unlucky. What were her A level subjects?
Once you start going past three years universities will often look at other applicants with recent education. I would consider extra if I was in your daughters shoes.
My daughter got rejection from all 5 choices for Economics course. She got A*A*A and took a gap year last year and doing furthermaths as an additional A-level. Now if she takes another gap year, are there courses or experience that she can look for in Economics. if so what are the best options.

I really feel for you and was in a similar situation last year to be honest but as someone else has said there are still some decent options in Extra. What does your daughter want to do?
She wants to do economics. it will be really hard to get thru extra or clearing. She did all the hardwork to get good grades and really dont want to do some random degree. hence cheking if taking a second gap year is better.. but then need to had some strong case - work experience to put in her application for next year
Not really sure how extra works. It does not list what course are available..
Original post by bsanthas
She wants to do economics. it will be really hard to get thru extra or clearing. She did all the hardwork to get good grades and really dont want to do some random degree. hence cheking if taking a second gap year is better.. but then need to had some strong case - work experience to put in her application for next year

A second gap year will in no way disadvantage her. She doesn't need any work experience (although it might be a plus). She does need to show an ongoing interest in the subject.

If she’s not doing anything worthwhile and productive during her gap year there’s not much point doing it. Look at gap placement years at Deloitte etc.

Also, what makes her think taking a gap year and reapplying would grant her any more chances to get into a top university for economics (one of the most competitive courses) she will need to up her personal statement more during this gap year.

There’s a few courses on UCAS extra that are pretty good. Nottingham, Loughborough, York. They all provide a good quality econ course.

What universities is your daughter applying for? If she’s looking into investment banking, yes a target university will help. However, it’s largely to do with the individual aswell. I hope she understand that getting into a target university does not mean she’s getting a job in investment banking. It’s incredibly competitive and hard to break into.

Keep in mind, she can always do a masters at a top institution. Though that may be expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending