The Student Room Group

Journalism / A Level Grades 2023

Edit: I’ve got my answer so that’s it. Not quite sure on how to close this thread though.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by nuradin_m
I’m sure many of you know about the grade boundaries this year and how less people got A*/A. Im disappointed with my grades as I’ve worked so hard only to get BCC. I got into my firm to study journalism at City, university of London despite the fact I needed 3 BS but I feel like I’m starting to rush into things. Do you guys think my A level grades will impact my chances of getting a good graduate job? I want to maybe resit them at another college because I know I would have done much better overall and just need to put in more work but my parents think it’s a complete waste of time :frown: I can’t even get the words out because I know the response will be bad😕

You applied to City. City made you a conditional offer. You firmed that offer (i.e. it was your first choice). They now confirmed that place. Yet you're considering declining that place to resit your A levels. And then reapply to City again next year? Personally, this sounds like madness.

If it were me, I'd put all my efforts into university now. Don't let those A level grades define you. Let an excellent degree define you instead. Aim for a 2:1, of even a first. Spend any spare time you have at uni making contacts, trying to get experience here and there. Contacts and experience will be much more valuable to you, career-wise, that A level resits.
Original post by DataVenia
You applied to City. City made you a conditional offer. You firmed that offer (i.e. it was your first choice). They now confirmed that place. Yet you're considering declining that place to resit your A levels. And then reapply to City again next year? Personally, this sounds like madness.

If it were me, I'd put all my efforts into university now. Don't let those A level grades define you. Let an excellent degree define you instead. Aim for a 2:1, of even a first. Spend any spare time you have at uni making contacts, trying to get experience here and there. Contacts and experience will be much more valuable to you, career-wise, that A level resits.

As harsh as it sounds I really needed to hear this! I’ve had some time to think about everything and I think I’m going to move forward with everything. I was just really disappointed with my grades because I’ve worked really hard and I know I would of got higher if it wasn’t for the harsh boundaries this year:frown: but I’ll take it as a lesson for next time.🤍 Thanks for your insight!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending