The Student Room Group

Macbook accounting and finance

Will a macbook be fine for a accounting and finance degree
I mean it's not the most cost effective personal computer you could get for that kind of course...

Also consider that if your aiming is accountancy professionally, a lot of the things you learn and then use in your course and later job to do with specific accounting softwares and excel may well be windows focused. Although apparently some of the big 4 give an option between windows and mac for new starters.

I'd honestly recommend a much cheaper windows laptop. You can get the exact same performance as any given mac much cheaper on windows, and you don't need to worry about whether a given software is or isn't available or if the equivalent might have a slightly different process of doing the same thing - when you're doing some kind of pivot table wizardry you probably don't want to first have to parse that through "how does this work on the mac equivalent of excel?".
Hi blobfishhhhhhh

When i started my degree at UCLAN there was students who had macbooks however they had issues putting some of the software on such as SAGE and SAP. This meant that to use the software they had to use a windows computer either in the classroom at home.

So my advice would be that you get a windows computer instead of a macbook as it will allow for all the software to be used on the computer if your university offers SAGE and SAP training.

Many thanks
Emma
3rd year Accounting and Finance Student
Original post by blobfishhhhhhh
Will a macbook be fine for a accounting and finance degree

Hi there!

I use a Macbook for my course and an iPad for taking notes and reading/annotating books. I can say that Safari doesn't always work well with university systems, but I just downloaded Google Chrome and it solved any problems. I already owned a Macbook and decided to use it for my course because of how slim and quiet it is. However, nowadays, other companies have more than caught up, and I'd be happy to use a Windows laptop for my course. You're on the winning side if you can do the same thing as everyone else whilst saving money.

About making notes, I think pen and paper is important to follow calculations and learn to make tables, as your exams will most likely be paper-based. iPad helps, but if I could go back, I wouldn't buy it again, as the value for money isn't quite there.

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending