The Student Room Group

Concerns about Potential Academic Dismissal.

I am scared to send an email to a professor at the university I'm currently in requesting whether or not I can repeat the year because I don't want to be kicked out.

From as far back as I can remember, I dedicated my life to the goal of studying robotics engineering. This dream has been my North Star, inspiring me to persevere through countless challenges and invest every ounce of effort into achieving it. Through hard work and determination, I was fortunate enough to secure acceptance to a good university.

However, upon my arrival at university, I found myself already grappling with burnout—a result of the intense preparation it took to even reach this point. This exhaustion slowly but surely took its toll on my academic journey, and unfortunately, matters only escalated during the second semester, leading to a distressing decline in my grades. Alongside these challenges, I also faced mental health struggles and imposter syndrome, both of which further eroded my motivation and self-confidence.

I have failed two modules only in the second semester but been given the opportunity to re-sit the modules. However, due to the lack of time I am confident that I won't succeed the re-submission and fear that they might kick me out and my life is over. I am asking for help because I don't know what to do or whether or not I should send an email in regards to my situation.
Reply 1
If you are a first year it is unlikely that that they withdraw you, but it is possible. But if you fail the two units there are generally two options available: take them into the next year and retake the credits again, or retake the whole year, which will usually be capped at the pass grade or below (so usually 40, and in some places 30).

You need to speak to someone ASAP. It is not going to be possible now to successfully apply mitigation to the previous round of examinations, but if your situation can be attested to by, for example, a GP or counsellor, then it might be possible to gain mitigation for the upcoming resits - that would take a bit of pressure off.

Ultimately, whatever the outcome is to be, you need to find a way to cope better with the workload and to ensure that you do not hit burnout again. To this end it is worthwhile engaging with the university's student support/wellbeing people for practical advice and maybe eve some accommodations if the situation requires them.

Your first port of call should be your personal tutor/academic advisor, who can then put you in touch with the relevant people to get this stuff going.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
If you are a first year it is unlikely that that they withdraw you, but it is possible. But if you fail the two units there are generally two options available: take them into the next year and retake the credits again, or retake the whole year, which will usually be capped at the pass grade or below (so usually 40, and in some places 30).

You need to speak to someone ASAP. It is not going to be possible now to successfully apply mitigation to the previous round of examinations, but if your situation can be attested to by, for example, a GP or counsellor, then it might be possible to gain mitigation for the upcoming resits - that would take a bit of pressure off.

Ultimately, whatever the outcome is to be, you need to find a way to cope better with the workload and to ensure that you do not hit burnout again. To this end it is worthwhile engaging with the university's student support/wellbeing people for practical advice and maybe eve some accommodations if the situation requires them.

Your first port of call should be your personal tutor/academic advisor, who can then put you in touch with the relevant people to get this stuff going.

I've spoken to my personal tutor as I knew that unfortunate events may arise but they have not responded to me at all nor has my director of studies. Sure I came to my director of studies numerous times about wanting to suspend my course or raised my concerns about the year but surely that shouldn't be an excuse to get annoyed and ignore me as a whole and let fate do the rest. I'll call the student well-being because that's my best bet at this point. Thank you for your response and I hope further success.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I've spoken to my personal tutor as I knew that unfortunate events may arise but they have not responded to me at all nor has my director of studies. Sure I came to my director of studies numerous times about wanting to suspend my course or raised my concerns about the year but surely that shouldn't be an excuse to get annoyed and ignore me as a whole and let fate do the rest. I'll call the student well-being because that's my best bet at this point. Thank you for your response and I hope further success.

Yeah, if no quick turnaround with the others, get onto wellbeing and push this stuff through. It can be hard to sort of... fight for yourself like this. But it's really important that you do.

I hope it pans out for you, and as an aside, I'm disappointed for you that the staff you should be able to have help with this are not picking up the slack.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending