The Student Room Group

Enhanced dbs checks

I have been offered a job at a hospital who will carry out an enhanced dbs check against me.

However last year i was arrested for a sexual assault alligation made against me but the case was dropped. This incident took place in my previous role which was also in a hospital and i was dismissed from this hospital for gross misconduct. I did not tell my new employer any of this.

Will the dbs check show the arrest and details of it? Will the dbs show my dismissal?

Im losing my mibd as i thought it was behind me and i did not even do anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cote1
Do you mean you did not put the arrest on the enhanced check?

I think it may show up on the check.
If so, if you did not tell them or declare it on the check then I guess you will have to explain why you didn't tell them.

I don't suppose it will show the dismissal.

You can Google information on DRB checks.

If in future you go for a job with an enhanced check at least you will know if the arrest shows.

It was an arrest and the case was dropped. You should be able to move on with your life now.

I am trying to move on but i dont understand why an arrest shows on an enhanced dbs? Furthermore it was a sexual assault allegation and its hard to explain if it does show on the dbs. Will a hospital employ someone who was arrested for sexual assault?
Original post by John12343567654
I am trying to move on but i dont understand why an arrest shows on an enhanced dbs? Furthermore it was a sexual assault allegation and its hard to explain if it does show on the dbs. Will a hospital employ someone who was arrested for sexual assault?

I used to administer DBS checks myself in the care home I used to work in.
I'm pretty sure that arrests do NOT show up on DBS checks, only convictions.
Original post by mathperson
I used to administer DBS checks myself in the care home I used to work in.
I'm pretty sure that arrests do NOT show up on DBS checks, only convictions.

Yes but do arrests show up on an enhanced dbs check. My previous role was in a hospital where i was arrested forvsexual assault so will the police tell my new employer this. My new employer is also a hospital.

Would it be better if i tell my new manager about the arrest rather than them finding out through dbs?
Yes but do arrests show up on an enhanced dbs check. My previous role was in a hospital where i was arrested forvsexual assault so will the police tell my new employer this. My new employer is also a hospital.

Would it be better if i tell my new manager about the arrest rather than them finding out through dbs?

We had to do enhanced DBS checks where I used to work.
I was responsible for doing them for new staff.

I am 99% certain that arrests don't show up on DBS checks.
Why would they?
Just because you get arrested, doesn't mean you've done anything wrong - it's the courts that decide if there has been any wrongdoing.

I'm sure it's only convictions that show up on DBS checks.

I would advise against offloading this to your future employer as you are likely going to trip yourself up for no reason.

Relax. You'll be fine.
Original post by mathperson
We had to do enhanced DBS checks where I used to work.
I was responsible for doing them for new staff.

I am 99% certain that arrests don't show up on DBS checks.
Why would they?
Just because you get arrested, doesn't mean you've done anything wrong - it's the courts that decide if there has been any wrongdoing.

I'm sure it's only convictions that show up on DBS checks.

I would advise against offloading this to your future employer as you are likely going to trip yourself up for no reason.

Relax. You'll be fine.

You just never know with the police. I read somewhere tgat on enhanced dbs checks police can include arresrs if they think its relevant
Reply 6
You just never know with the police. I read somewhere tgat on enhanced dbs checks police can include arresrs if they think its relevant

I have read this too but I don't know for sure.
Reply 7
I have been offered a job at a hospital who will carry out an enhanced dbs check against me.

However last year i was arrested for a sexual assault alligation made against me but the case was dropped. This incident took place in my previous role which was also in a hospital and i was dismissed from this hospital for gross misconduct. I did not tell my new employer any of this.

Will the dbs check show the arrest and details of it? Will the dbs show my dismissal?

Im losing my mibd as i thought it was behind me and i did not even do anything.

The DBS should not show the dismissal as it is an employment matter.
Original post by Cote1
I would imagine that they might do as the police did not proceed.
However, they may not be keen on the dismissal if they knew about it. This still doesn't mean that they won't employ you.
If you have lied on the application and/or DRB check this could be a reason why they could decide not to employ you.

If the DRB check is still to be completed with you, then if you say yes to the question it asks, and your arrest does not subsequently show up, that will be problematic for you as you will still need to tell them about the arrest and this may lead to them looking into the dismissal. You will then know for future checks that it did not show up.

If you say no on the check and it then shows up, then you will have not declared it which will be a problem.

If the check has already been completed and you have said no to the question and not declared it, then if you now admit to not declaring it (regardless of whether it later shows up) they won't be happy that you did not initially declare it and you will have to tell them there was an arrest and also they may look into the dismissal aspect if they link it to your last job.

If the check has been done and you didn't declare it, and you still say nothing, then it later shows up, you may not get the job but at least you will know for future jobs. You can then decide whether to go for this sort of job and tell them about the arrest and dismissal or not go for these sort of jobs.

If the check has been done and you ticked 'no' to the question and it doesn't later show up (probably quite a likely scenario) then you don't have a problem.

The only question i was asked at interview and appkication was if i have any convictions which i dont so there is no need to tell my manager about the arrest. If its revealed on my dbs i can just say that it was nfa case closed and it shouldnt affect me getting the job? But my new role is regulated work so i am just concerned that they might taje this arrest into consideratuon as it was a sexual assault allegation.
The only question i was asked at interview and appkication was if i have any convictions which i dont so there is no need to tell my manager about the arrest. If its revealed on my dbs i can just say that it was nfa case closed and it shouldnt affect me getting the job? But my new role is regulated work so i am just concerned that they might taje this arrest into consideratuon as it was a sexual assault allegation.

The other poster is incorrect.

Yes, an arrest can show on an enhanced DBS check, which is what you are having. The following information can be shown on an eDBS check:

Incidents for which individuals were never arrested, charged or prosecuted;
Incidents for which individuals were found Not Guilty;
Incidents which were dealt with by other bodies (such as Local Authorities in their disciplinary processes, employers, schools, hospitals etc.); and
Third party information information about people other than the applicant.

Given the nature of the allegations against you, it's highly likely that this will be present on a DBS.
Original post by Reality Check

Yes, an arrest can show on an enhanced DBS check, which is what you are having. The following information can be shown on an eDBS check:

Incidents which were dealt with by other bodies (such as Local Authorities in their disciplinary processes, employers, schools, hospitals etc.); and

Given the nature of the allegations against you, it's highly likely that this will be present on a DBS.

Do the police have ibformation about investigarions in a work place and are they able to disclose dismissal details.

This, and I came to post this.

I understand you felt the incident was behind you, but it’s relevant information in order to safeguard vulnerable adults/children.

Personally, honesty is the best policy.
Do the police have ibformation about investigarions in a work place and are they able to disclose dismissal details.

Whatever was recorded by the police and any other relevant information could be recorded and show up on an eDBS check. As I said above, given the workplace was a hospital and the allegations of a sexual nature, I think it's an easy argument for the police that the information recorded is necessary and proportionate and it is appropriate to disclose it. I think it's most likely that this matter will come to light via your DBS check.

Don't tell me you didn't disclose this incident during your application for the job?
Whatever was recorded by the police and any other relevant information could be recorded and show up on an eDBS check. As I said above, given the workplace was a hospital and the allegations of a sexual nature, I think it's an easy argument for the police that the information recorded is necessary and proportionate and it is appropriate to disclose it. I think it's most likely that this matter will come to light via your DBS check.

Don't tell me you didn't disclose this incident during your application for the job?

No i did not disclose this in my application form as the case was closed. There was no need to mention a police case which was closed. But from what i undersrand the police carry out thier own investigation and a dbs check does not reveal dismissal.
No i did not disclose this in my application form as the case was closed. There was no need to mention a police case which was closed. But from what i undersrand the police carry out thier own investigation and a dbs check does not reveal dismissal.

You understand incorrectly then. This information will in all likelihood come to light during your DBS check and your application will then be cancelled.

I don't believe that you genuinely don't realise that this information is highly relevant to the position for which you applied and should have been disclosed.
You understand incorrectly then. This information will in all likelihood come to light during your DBS check and your application will then be cancelled.

I don't believe that you genuinely don't realise that this information is highly relevant to the position for which you applied and should have been disclosed.

I understand what your ssying but why woyod i mention a closed case. On tge application form it only asks if i have any convictions, it does not ask about arrests or closed cases.
Reply 16
So your future employer only asked about convictions on the application.

There is no way round the fact that, if you don't mention it on the check, it would not be disclosing this on the DRB check when it should be disclosed but you know that.

Thinking about it, it could certainly be information the police think is relevant which will therefore show up on the DRB. However, there is no way of telling for sure until the check is done but you know that now too.

There is also the dismissal issue because your employer doesn't know about that.

It's a matter for your conscience.

Edit: I deleted a previous post as I think part of it may have been bad advice.
(edited 2 years ago)
Even if the police don’t disclose the information on an enhanced DBS, your new employer will want to know if you have ever had any disciplinary proceedings brought against you at work. A simple phone call to your previous employer will tell them all they need to know. I am fairly certain that collecting such information is a CQC requirement.

So although you don’t have a criminal record to disclose to your employer at the point of application, you should have told them about the circumstances surrounding your dismissal.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cancelled Alice
Even if the police don’t disclose the information on an enhanced DBS, your new employer will want to know if you have ever had any disciplinary proceedings brought against you at work. A simple phone call to your previous employer will tell them all they need to know.

After the dismissal at my previous hospital i gad 2 other jobs in warehouses so i used these as references. There was no need to inckude the hospital as a referenxe ir tge incident.
After the dismissal at my previous hospital i gad 2 other jobs in warehouses so i used these as references. There was no need to inckude the hospital as a referenxe ir tge incident.

How long where you employed in the warehouses for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending