The Student Room Group

Official: Aston University A100 2024 Entry Applicant thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GANFYD
I would have thought the reduction in grade inflation will drop the cut off by a point or so

This is ulikely to have an impact as 8 and 9 are scored the same. So a fall to 8 by all applicants will not make any difference.
Reply 81
I have got AAA in alevels

99876655 in gcse

2590 band 3 in ucat

have I got a chance in getting an interview at Aston?
Reply 82
Trying to pick my final choice, excuse the brain dump…
UCAT 2580, band 2. Predicted grades A*A*A*. GCSEs are 9s and an 8 for Eng lang. I have a strong PS / lots of work experience.

For Aston I score 31. (Just short of last year but potentially it will drop). I know they then rank on this score to select for interview. If many people are tied on their lowest ‘acceptable’ score (eg 31), does anyone know how they then select / tie break - would they use the UCAT score to come up with the required number of people to interview or just interview everyone with that score? (100 places but 40 are WP)

For Keele, my UCAT is 6th decile at the moment which would be 3rd quintile, giving a score of 4 UCAT-linked points and possibly 1 point for Keele region (we’re borderline - am investigating!) plus PS points. (who knows!) (154 places).

So Keele has more places than Aston but an unknown scoring system which takes the weight off the UCAT score.

My other choices are Sunderland, Queens and Leicester (v risky but a friend got in there last year with exactly the same scores as me). Not contextual and no extra points for KMMS, not a high enough score for Lincoln.
Any words of wisdom would be gratefully received (before I drive myself and my parents nuts going round in circles!). I just want to get in somewhere! Thanks so much for your time.
Original post by hyuuu
I have got AAA in alevels

99876655 in gcse

2590 band 3 in ucat

have I got a chance in getting an interview at Aston?

even if contextual, applying to aston would not be advisable due to your gcses
Have a look perhaps at Kent.
Reply 85
Original post by Pepsycharlie
This is ulikely to have an impact as 8 and 9 are scored the same. So a fall to 8 by all applicants will not make any difference.

But a certain number of 8s will fall to a 7?
Original post by GANFYD
It does not feel unreasonable :smile:

Thanks for the help!
Original post by reubenn05
what are your 7s in ?

Hi, it is in English literature and spanish. I have attached my stats again below, thank you so much!! :smile:

- GCSEs - 99998888877
- Predicted A-levels - A*A*A
- UCAT - 2710, B3
- WP - POLAR 4 QUINTILE 1, first in family to go to university
Thank you!!
Reply 88
Original post by Pepsycharlie

GCSE results
In 2021 (ie people doing A levels 2023) there were approximately
387,500 grade 9s
476,500 grade 8s
628,400 grade 7s

In 2022 (ie people sitting A levels in 2024, this cohort) there were approximately
344,500 grade 9s
443,650 grade 8s
568,900 grade 7s

So 43,000 fewer grade 9s - an 11% drop
32,850 fewer grade 8s - a 7% drop
59,500 fewer grade 7s - a 9.5% drop

In 2021, 3606 people got all grade 9s
in 2022 it was 2193 - a 40% drop.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 89
Guys I'm a gap year student
achieved A levels: A*AB and c (history, bio, chem, maths respectively, waiting for a maths remark as i was 1 mark off a b)

going to resit only chem to get my top 3 grades to an a*AA

ucat: 2630 b1
vr = 730
dm= 640
qr =620
ar =640

gces (my grades were predicted due to covid):
bio=9
chem=9
maths=9
physics=9
eng lang=9
eng lit=9
history=9
religious studies=9
computer science=8
citizenship=8
further maths=8
french=7

i am considered a contextual applicant: in receipt of ucat bursary, polar 4 quintile 2

is it worth applying to aston after my chem resit? or too risky?

ps not really sure what my score is, i think this makes 31.5?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Worriermum
Thanks will email them

hi did you get a response?
Original post by epoch.ly
hi did you get a response?

Yes only GCSE’s and UCAT score is taken into consideration
Reply 92
Original post by Worriermum
Yes only GCSE’s and UCAT score is taken into consideration

Alright thanks!
Original post by ~𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕣𝕪 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥~
Hi, it is in English literature and spanish. I have attached my stats again below, thank you so much!! :smile:

- GCSEs - 99998888877
- Predicted A-levels - A*A*A
- UCAT - 2710, B3
- WP - POLAR 4 QUINTILE 1, first in family to go to university
Thank you!!

you have a strong score then, you score 32, wp cutoff last year was 30.5
Reply 94
My postcode comes under POLAR 4 quintile 2. Would I be eligible for the contextual cut off?
Original post by Rose2576
My postcode comes under POLAR 4 quintile 2. Would I be eligible for the contextual cut off?

yes, as long as you attend a state school
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 96
Hi I want to apply to Aston , I am a resit applicant ( resitting all 3) so despite having achieved a levels as I am resitting all 3 i don't think they contribute to my points ( please let me know if I am wrong ), my gcses are 9888888777 and ucat 2700 band 2 I'm not contextual or WP , i believe my points are 32 however online i think i saw cut off last year was 31.5 . Will this cut off increase or decrease , would you guys advise me to apply or is it too risky.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by amxliaa_c
Hi I want to apply to Aston , I am a resit applicant ( resitting all 3) so despite having achieved a levels as I am resitting all 3 i don't think they contribute to my points ( please let me know if I am wrong ), my gcses are 9888888777 and ucat 2700 band 2 I'm not contextual or WP , i believe my points are 32 however online i think i saw cut off last year was 31.5 . Will this cut off increase or decrease , would you guys advise me to apply or is it too risky.

Hi Some people think it might come down because of the GCSE - but I think this will not have a big impact and due to other factors eg being better know this may actually go up. So it is anyones guess really.
Original post by amxliaa_c

32 points should be fine - an increase in the cutoff to 32.5 would equate to a 200 ucat point increase, which would be unprecedented and thus unlikely. imo, the cutoff will either stay the same or decrease to 31
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by reubenn05
you have a strong score then, you score 32, wp cutoff last year was 30.5

Hi, thank you for your help :smile:

do you know what the cutoff was for previous year and whether the cutoff is likely to go above 32 this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending