The Student Room Group

Physics Chem or fm pls help

If I'm naturally good at maths compared to sciences (I've had to work harder at gcse for good science grades) what would be the best option to take?? Im predicting a high 8 in maths bc I made some stupid mistakes and I've seen the unofficial marks schemes so I think I'll just miss a 9. I'm terrified of physics bc everyoneeee is saying don't do it, so then I was thinking chemistry but wouldn't that be just as hard?
Original post by gracevickers
If I'm naturally good at maths compared to sciences (I've had to work harder at gcse for good science grades) what would be the best option to take?? Im predicting a high 8 in maths bc I made some stupid mistakes and I've seen the unofficial marks schemes so I think I'll just miss a 9. I'm terrified of physics bc everyoneeee is saying don't do it, so then I was thinking chemistry but wouldn't that be just as hard?

I did maths, biology and chemistry at A Level. Maths is great. I did chemistry instead of physics, as I enjoyed it more
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
People who are good at maths usually do well in Physics A level (cos it's more about working things out than remembering loads of stuff)

Have you any thoughts about what you want to do after A levels?

What sort of career path / uni course etc are you considering? Also, would you actually enjoy chemistry or physics in lieu of FM?

Having done chemistry, FM and physics, I would say the easiest one of those three is chemistry and the hardest is physics, but that is purely because I have always been much more invested in chemistry than maths or physics.

As such, if you don’t know what career / uni course to aim for, you will be better off if you pick the subject you will enjoy the most out of those three.
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
People who are good at maths usually do well in Physics A level (cos it's more about working things out than remembering loads of stuff)

Have you any thoughts about what you want to do after A levels?

Honestly not too sure, I was thinking architecture and therefore I have applied for physics for sixth form, but now I'm not even 100% on that. (I'm doing maths and art aswell)
I initially hated chem in y9/y10 but in y11 after picking physics and feeling the pressure/starting to dislike it more, chem started to click better in my head😭
Reply 5
Original post by TypicalNerd
What sort of career path / uni course etc are you considering? Also, would you actually enjoy chemistry or physics in lieu of FM?

Having done chemistry, FM and physics, I would say the easiest one of those three is chemistry and the hardest is physics, but that is purely because I have always been much more invested in chemistry than maths or physics.

As such, if you don’t know what career / uni course to aim for, you will be better off if you pick the subject you will enjoy the most out of those three.

When revising for gcses chemistry was clicking in my head, whereas I started to feel the pressure of doing physics at a level. I was planning on doing architecture but honestly idk atp I've been rlly burned out since gcses💀 I feel like physics is too invisible for me lmao
Honestly not too sure, I was thinking architecture and therefore I have applied for physics for sixth form, but now I'm not even 100% on that. (I'm doing maths and art aswell)
I initially hated chem in y9/y10 but in y11 after picking physics and feeling the pressure/starting to dislike it more, chem started to click better in my head😭

You don't need physics for architecture - it's a design-based degree (approx 50% of the modules) - and most unis don't require specific subjects. Of the 40+ unis offering architecture, only around 5 require/prefer maths or physics. A lot of courses require high grades so pick subjects that you enjoy and will do well in. Essay-based subjects are also a good option.

Have a look at the following thread: A levels for Architecture
Reply 7
Somehow I managed to get 9s in sciences and maths so now I'm questioning if art is even the right thing 😭 I'm still probably going to do it but will unis look down on it?
Reply 8
Somehow I managed to get 9s in sciences and maths so now I'm questioning if art is even the right thing 😭 I'm still probably going to do it but will unis look down on it?

(If I did something stem related at uni)

Art is an acceptable A level for unis and a good A level if you are considering architecture. For STEM courses, then it will depend if the uni requires specific subjects for all three A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest