The Student Room Group

A levels for Architecture

The following table lists the A level subject requirements for RIBA validated architecture courses in the UK (as at June 2023). Please note that entry requirements can and do change slightly so check university websites before you apply. Also check websites for details of other qualifications that are accepted, such as Scottish Higher/Advanced Highers, IB, Btecs, etc., and for GCSE requirements.

In the table, if the 'A level subject requirements' column is blank, no specific subjects are required. Courses are grouped according to entry grades/UCAS points.

In addition to A level (or other) qualifications, the majority of courses will require you to submit a portfolio of your creative work as part of the application process.

Those courses marked with an * have not yet been fully validated by RIBA. New courses apply for ‘candidate status’ from RIBA and can become fully validated after the first cohort graduates.

Edit: Lancaster's course has now been validated (Feb 2024). Table will be updated shortly.

Check the following link for updates:

https://www.architecture.com/education-cpd-and-careers/riba-validation/riba-validated-schools-uk

Table 3a.jpg
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by normaw
The following table lists the A level subject requirements for RIBA validated architecture courses in the UK (as at June 2023). Please note that entry requirements can and do change slightly so check university websites before you apply. Also check websites for details of other qualifications that are accepted, such as Scottish Higher/Advanced Highers, IB, Btecs, etc., and for GCSE requirements.

In the table, if the 'A level subject requirements' column is blank, no specific subjects are required. Courses are grouped according to entry grades/UCAS points.

In addition to A level (or other) qualifications, the majority of courses will require you to submit a portfolio of your creative work as part of the application process.

Those courses marked with an * have not yet been fully validated by RIBA. New courses apply for ‘candidate status’ from RIBA and can become fully validated after the first cohort graduates. Check the following link for updates:

https://www.architecture.com/education-cpd-and-careers/riba-validation/riba-validated-schools-uk

Table 3a.jpg

this is so organised wish i had this last year, don't suppose you know which universities offered clearing last year too? it opens later in july but my a levels are more difficult than i anticipated and im worried about meeting my offers but i cant find an official list or website
Original post by arch17
this is so organised wish i had this last year, don't suppose you know which universities offered clearing last year too? it opens later in july but my a levels are more difficult than i anticipated and im worried about meeting my offers but i cant find an official list or website

Tag me in next week and I might be able to pull out the stats (it’d be for architecture, building and planning degrees but close enough)
Original post by arch17

I do :smile:. I made notes on results day last year:

Arts Uni Bournemouth, B'ham City, Brighton, Cardiff, UCLAN, Coventry, Creative Arts, DeMontfort, Dundee, Falmouth, Glasgow SA, Greenwich, Herts, Kent, Lancaster, Leeds Beckett, Lincoln, Liverpool John Moores, London Met, London South Bank, Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, Oxford Brookes, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Queen's, Revensbourne, Robert Gordon, Salford, Sheffield Hallam, Westminster, Huddersfield

(Bath Spa, Cardiff Met and Gloucester were also on the list but none of these courses have RIBA validation.)

Just be aware that it doesn't mean that the same courses will be in clearing this year. Best of luck with the rest of your exams.
(edited 10 months ago)
@Fizza naeem The table above should answer the question you posted on another thread regarding subject choices.
Architecture, Building and Planning Clearing 2022 acceptances:
ArchClearing2022Accepts.PNG
ArchClearing2022Accepts2.PNG
Original post by normaw
I do :smile:. I made notes on results day last year:

Arts Uni Bournemouth, B'ham City, Brighton, Cardiff, UCLAN, Coventry, Creative Arts, DeMontfort, Dundee, Falmouth, Glasgow SA, Greenwich, Herts, Kent, Lancaster, Leeds Beckett, Lincoln, Liverpool John Moores, London Met, London South Bank, Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, Oxford Brookes, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Queen's, Revensbourne, Robert Gordon, Salford, Sheffield Hallam, Westminster, Huddersfield

(Bath Spa, Cardiff Met and Gloucester were also on the list but none of these courses have RIBA validation.)

Just be aware that it doesn't mean that the same courses will be in clearing this year. Best of luck with the rest of your exams.

Adding (clearing) accept numbers to this list:

Arts Uni Bournemouth, 5
B'ham City, 75
Brighton, 40
Cardiff, 50
UCLAN, 30
Coventry, 45
Creative Arts, 15
DeMontfort, 40
Dundee, 5
Falmouth, 5
Glasgow SA, 10
Greenwich, 50
Herts, 10
Kent, 35
Lancaster, 5
Leeds Beckett, 65
Lincoln, 20
Liverpool John Moores, 75
London Met, 35
London South Bank, 65
Northumbria, 25
Nottingham Trent, 130
Oxford Brookes, 70
Plymouth, 30
Portsmouth, 20
Queen's, 0
Ravensbourne, 20
Robert Gordon, 15
Salford, 70
Sheffield Hallam, 40
Westminster, 80
Huddersfield 20
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by PQ
Architecture, Building and Planning Clearing 2022 acceptances:
ArchClearing2022Accepts.PNG
ArchClearing2022Accepts2.PNG

thank you!!
Reply 8
Do any of these accept UAL qualifications? I am currently doing a level 3 extended diploma and I am planning on doing a UAL foundation diploma at my college. Is there any way I can check to see if a course accepts these? Im not fully set on what I want to do after college.
Original post by lozza1308
Do any of these accept UAL qualifications? I am currently doing a level 3 extended diploma and I am planning on doing a UAL foundation diploma at my college. Is there any way I can check to see if a course accepts these? Im not fully set on what I want to do after college.

You would need to check the Entry Requirements section on the course pages of uni websites. If it's not clear, then email the admissions department.
Reply 10
Original post by normaw
You would need to check the Entry Requirements section on the course pages of uni websites. If it's not clear, then email the admissions department.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by normaw

Those courses marked with an * have not yet been fully validated by RIBA. New courses apply for ‘candidate status’ from RIBA and can become fully validated after the first cohort graduates. Check the following link for updates:

Table 3a.jpg

Your an absolute angel
Reply 12
Original post by normaw

Table 3a.jpg

How about Btec Level 3 national diploma requirements? Unless Uni wont look into that type of grading.
Original post by SABL1201
How about Btec Level 3 national diploma requirements? Unless Uni wont look into that type of grading.

You will need to look at the Entry Requirements section for the unis you are interested in. Many will take Btecs - you just need to do the research.
Original post by normaw

Table 3a.jpg

Perhaps there is information: has Lancaster University received RIBA accreditation? https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/arts-and-social-sciences/news/riba-stamp-of-approval-for-lancaster-university-architecture-degree-course "A panel representing the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) have granted full and unconditional validation (Part 1) to the BA (Hons) Architecture and Candidate Course status to the Master of Architecture course at Lancaster University." But on the RIBA website the bachelor's degree is still listed as "candidate" ((
Original post by Anburgerin
Perhaps there is information: has Lancaster University received RIBA accreditation? https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/arts-and-social-sciences/news/riba-stamp-of-approval-for-lancaster-university-architecture-degree-course "A panel representing the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) have granted full and unconditional validation (Part 1) to the BA (Hons) Architecture and Candidate Course status to the Master of Architecture course at Lancaster University." But on the RIBA website the bachelor's degree is still listed as "candidate" ((

Thanks I am aware of this but I'm not going to update the table until it is confirmed on the RIBA website. :smile:
@Anburgerin RIBA has now updated its website and confirmed Lancaster's validation for BA Hons Architecture. :smile:

I will update the table in the OP soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending