The Student Room Group

Help me choose my A-level subjects!

I am doing my 6th form applications. I'm aiming for 4 A* (like everyone else). It'll be super useful to have some feedback on my choice of subjects. I plan to study computer science at Uni.

I stupidly took Art and Product design right now (GCSEs) and the volume of coursework is insane! I'm hoping to choose wisely for A-levels -
Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Economics.

How does this sound?

I have some questions:

1. I don't particularly enjoy Maths. Predicted a 8 right now (GCSE). Working hard to get a 9. I did not take FM even though I had this option. Do I have to take FM if I want to study CS at Uni?

2. Are there any "easy" A-levels?

3. I have Grade8 ABRSM in one instrument. Should I consider music for A Levels? How easy/hard is it to get an A*?

4. I am predicted 9 in both Physics and Chem. Is it better to choose one of these over Economics to maximise chances of A*?

Thanks for reading. Grateful for any advice.
Reply 1
Original post by Robin8
I am doing my 6th form applications. I'm aiming for 4 A* (like everyone else). It'll be super useful to have some feedback on my choice of subjects. I plan to study computer science at Uni.

I stupidly took Art and Product design right now (GCSEs) and the volume of coursework is insane! I'm hoping to choose wisely for A-levels -

How does this sound?

I have some questions:

1. I don't particularly enjoy Maths. Predicted a 8 right now (GCSE). Working hard to get a 9. I did not take FM even though I had this option. Do I have to take FM if I want to study CS at Uni?

3. I have Grade8 ABRSM in one instrument. Should I consider music for A Levels? How easy/hard is it to get an A*?

4. I am predicted 9 in both Physics and Chem. Is it better to choose one of these over Economics to maximise chances of A*?

“Easy” A-levels are probably a bit out of your sector haha. Classical Civilisation, Film Studies, and Sociology are all considered to be quite easy. I chose a subject at A-level that I just about got an 8 in at GCSE, and it’s pretty much impossible for me to get an A* in it right now, so maybe choose a subject you got an 9 in for an “easier” grade (that’s what I would do if I got to choose my A-levels again.
Original post by Robin8

How does this sound?

I have some questions:

I am currently doing maths, further maths, history and English language (I got a 9 in maths, English lang, history at gcse and did not have the option to do fm)
1) maths was my favourite gcse and further maths is currently my favourite a level and I have no regrets about taking both of them and I personally haven't felt like they are too time consuming although I have heard others in my class complain about the extra time that further maths takes and if you dont particularly like maths, then it could be challenged to find the motivation to put the extra effort in, however if you hope to study computer since at a top uni, then I would definitely recommend taking fm at level as many courses will require/ prefer it as it is a maths heavy course
2) I would say that there are definitely easiER a levels, such as things like film studies, however for most subjects it will vary greatly depending on the person, for example, looking at my subjects, many would say that English language is the 'softest' and assume it would be the easiest but it is actually the one I am finding the most challenging and getting the lowest grade in so nobody but you can tell you which a levels you will find easiest
4) as I have just said, nobody can tell you which level you will find easier and gcse performance is not necessary a good indicator of what you will get at a level as you can't rely on natural abilities to the same extent. I would say that physics would make a computer science application look slightly more competitive than economics but I can imagine there would be too much of a difference. I would suggest picking whichever out of physics, chemistry and economics interests you the most as that will be the one you are most likely to get an A* in as it will but th thing which motivates you the most to revise
Reply 3
Original post by ameliasutherland
I am currently doing maths, further maths, history and English language (I got a 9 in maths, English lang, history at gcse and did not have the option to do fm)
1) maths was my favourite gcse and further maths is currently my favourite a level and I have no regrets about taking both of them and I personally haven't felt like they are too time consuming although I have heard others in my class complain about the extra time that further maths takes and if you dont particularly like maths, then it could be challenged to find the motivation to put the extra effort in, however if you hope to study computer since at a top uni, then I would definitely recommend taking fm at level as many courses will require/ prefer it as it is a maths heavy course
2) I would say that there are definitely easiER a levels, such as things like film studies, however for most subjects it will vary greatly depending on the person, for example, looking at my subjects, many would say that English language is the 'softest' and assume it would be the easiest but it is actually the one I am finding the most challenging and getting the lowest grade in so nobody but you can tell you which a levels you will find easiest
4) as I have just said, nobody can tell you which level you will find easier and gcse performance is not necessary a good indicator of what you will get at a level as you can't rely on natural abilities to the same extent. I would say that physics would make a computer science application look slightly more competitive than economics but I can imagine there would be too much of a difference. I would suggest picking whichever out of physics, chemistry and economics interests you the most as that will be the one you are most likely to get an A* in as it will but th thing which motivates you the most to revise

Thanks. I have to pick 4 subjects :frown: . So, do you recommend this combo? :
Maths, FM, Computer Science and (one of: Phy/Chem/Eco)
Original post by Robin8
Thanks. I have to pick 4 subjects :frown: . So, do you recommend this combo? :
Maths, FM, Computer Science and (one of: Phy/Chem/Eco)

yep! good luck:smile:
Original post by Robin8

How does this sound?

I have some questions:

I take Economics, Geography, Maths and Further Maths

Maths was my favourite subject at GCSE and I got a 9 and now Further Maths is my favourite subject because I really enjoy maths - but if you say you don't particularly like maths then maybe reconsider taking further maths because it means literally half of your time will be spent doing maths. I think you need Maths if you want to do Computer Science at uni but not necessarily FM?

Also the best way to maximise your chances of getting an A* is CHOOSING SUBJECTS YOU ENJOY - otherwise you won't be motivated to study and work hard in it - so think about whether you actually enjoy Physics and Chemistry or whether you would be happier studying Econ

Good luck in your GCSEs!!
Maths is generally the only required subject for CS. You will need to take it at A level. CS is helpful for a couple of universities. Other than Maths take whatever subjects you enjoy and will do well in. Given your interest in Music it seems worth taking. The other subject can be literally anything that interests you but Economics and Physics are likely to involve Maths and FM is probably unwise if you dont enjoy Maths at GCSE.
Reply 7
Original post by Robin8

How does this sound?

I have some questions:

For competitive universities to do CS, you want to be doing FM. However, to do well in FM you need to enjoy it and not look for ‘easy’ routes. Also Economics isn’t great for CS, stuff like Physics/CS A levels are much better.

By the way, get this idea of ‘easy’ A levels away since much of the point of A levels is fundamentally that they are meant to be hard and each person approaches them differently. GCSE grades don’t correspond greatly to A level grades either - a friend 9 9s and 1 8 at GCSE but got predicted BCC or something like that, while another person did less well at GCSEs but is predicted A*AA or above.

Think carefully and do not just base your decisions on rumours
Reply 8
A levels are a long old slog to be honest. If you’re going to do 4 then pick an “easy” 4th one. I would personally suggest that you study Maths, Computer Science, and Physics. You can do Economics or Further maths as an AS level if you want, or depending on how you find it in year 12, you might decide to continue to your final year with 4 A levels. Also music has a hell of a lot of coursework from what I’ve heard as well so keep that in mind, although if you’ve achieved grade 8 then it shouldn’t be too difficult but you might just find it very time consuming. If I was you though I would go for Maths, Comp Sci, and Physics.
Original post by Robin8

How does this sound?

I have some questions:

In regards to music, I would definitely advise picking it if your theory is strong and your composition skills are good too. It will be an easier a level. I do it as a 4th alongside bio chem and maths and it's great.

I would definitely advise doing physics or chem instead of econ if you want an A*. If you keep up with chem's concepts and exam questions it is definitely possible to get that grade.

Best of luck with the rest of year 11!!

Quick Reply

Latest