The Student Room Group

University of birmingham computer science

Hello, I got into university of birmingham to study computer science. I would like to ask whether I need to know Java before getting into the course or they will teach me everything and do not need to worry that much. Personally, I programmed before on Python and just understood the syntaxes and commands in Java and I find it kind of hard
Reply 1
Hey! Im an applicant to Comp Sci this year too, although im not going to Birmingham, what i can say from what i know is that, very often a computer science degree at Uni requires (according to them) no prior Comp Sci experience, Coding etc. Hence why in many cases you can get into the course with just a maths A level. You dont have to worry that much, and as for java, youll have to see what languages the Uni teaches, but trust me, the syntax of Java only gets easier with practice, although annoying);

I have experience with VB, Did python years ago so ive pretty much forgotten it lol, and recently been doing some personal stuff with HTML CSS and JS.

Honestly dont worry about it, any questions you have ill try my best to answer them but my info is also a bit limited haha.
Reply 2
Original post by LeviLM
Hey! Im an applicant to Comp Sci this year too, although im not going to Birmingham, what i can say from what i know is that, very often a computer science degree at Uni requires (according to them) no prior Comp Sci experience, Coding etc. Hence why in many cases you can get into the course with just a maths A level. You dont have to worry that much, and as for java, youll have to see what languages the Uni teaches, but trust me, the syntax of Java only gets easier with practice, although annoying);

I have experience with VB, Did python years ago so ive pretty much forgotten it lol, and recently been doing some personal stuff with HTML CSS and JS.

Honestly dont worry about it, any questions you have ill try my best to answer them but my info is also a bit limited haha.

No worries. Thanks man. I was just interested if I need some prior knowledge for the course .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending