The Student Room Group

What is a townhouse in student accomodation?

I was told it was the same as halls of residence, but with a shared bathroom between 2, but recently someone has said that it's more like an actual house??

Can someone please clarify?

I'd prefer something very similar to the halls of residence for the social life.

Thanks
Original post by comprehensive
I was told it was the same as halls of residence, but with a shared bathroom between 2, but recently someone has said that it's more like an actual house??

I'd prefer something very similar to the halls of residence for the social life.

Thanks

Hi @comprehensive,

It will probably be different at every uni but at Lancaster a townhouse is a building with 12 bedrooms with a bathroom shared between two. On the ground floor is the kitchen, living space and another toilet. The townhouses are usually all adjacent to each other so are very near.

Comparatively, the flats are divided into 4/6/8 with an ensuite in each room or a shared bathroom depending on the accommodation type. They have a shared kitchen and living space as well. There will be multiple flats in a building.

Both are good for social life as you live with new people, it just depends how many people you want to live with. On this website: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/ you can find room tours for the undergraduate accommodation at Lancaster. Most universities have virtual tours on their websites so it might be helpful to try and look at some to help you decide which accommodation type fits best with your idea of 'halls'.

-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by comprehensive

Thanks

Hi there,
This depends on the accommodation. Townhouse can mean a type of terraced housing but I have heard of student accommodations where it essentially means a two-person (or more) flat with a shared bathroom.

I'd highly recommend contacting the accommodation that you're interested in to clarify.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending