The Student Room Group

biochemistry accrediation

i've recently found out about accredited courses and at the university im going to biochemistry isn't accredited unlike some other universities where it is, i was just wondering if this was something i should be concerned about, what does it mean if the course isn't accredited? also is this really relevant for biochemistry or is it more to do with other courses, thank you! :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by astrostial
i've recently found out about accredited courses and at the university im going to biochemistry isn't accredited unlike some other universities where it is, i was just wondering if this was something i should be concerned about, what does it mean if the course isn't accredited? also is this really relevant for biochemistry or is it more to do with other courses, thank you! :smile:

i don't think it really matters but depends on the uni. i'm going to do biochemistry and i don't think that's accredited. i will still get my degree at the end of it.

i think a lot of newer unis get their courses accredited because they are less established and well known so the accreditation sort of shows that the degree is actually up to standard, whereas older, more established unis don't need it as it's sort of implied that the degree will be up to standard.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by jdjdhjdsl
i don't think it really matters but depends on the uni. i'm going to do biological sciences (biochem) at the uni of edinburgh and i don't think that's accredited. i will still get my degree at the end of it.

i think a lot of newer unis get their courses accredited because they are less established and well known so the accreditation sort of shows that the degree is actually up to standard, whereas older, more established unis don't need it as it's sort of implied that the degree will be up to standard.

im not an expert on this though, just a guess.
Reply 3
Original post by jdjdhjdsl
im not an expert on this though, just a guess.

okay thank you but that does make sense, im going cardiff which is quite old as well
okay thank you but that does make sense, im going cardiff which is quite old as well

possibly they chose to do it as i think internationally it's less well known for biological sciences. so like the accreditation may help if you're thinking of studying somewhere outside the uk. i think no matter what, the accreditation won't detract from the degree. it will probs just give it a little more support in case someone is silly enough to question it.

Hi @astrostial

I study biochemistry at Lancaster and I have never seen a situation where an accredited biochemistry degree would give an applicant an advantage to any role. In some situations accreditation is very important, like IBMS accredited Biomedical Science degrees which open up the pathway to becoming a Biomedical Scientist working in the NHS, but in my experience I have not seen anything require an accredited biochemistry degree.

I hope I could help! :smile:
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending