The Student Room Group

biochemistry course - help

hello! :]

i'm about to start biochemistry at uni this september and i just wanted to see if maybe any of u guys have any advice? how to approach it, any tips for the very beginning? literally anything u wish u knew when u were starting

thanks for reading :smile:
Original post by j3lly_f1sh

i'm about to start biochemistry at uni this september and i just wanted to see if maybe any of u guys have any advice? how to approach it, any tips for the very beginning? literally anything u wish u knew when u were starting

Hi @j3lly_f1sh

I'm in my third year of biochemistry at Lancaster (currently on placement)! I'd recommend learning to make notes in the lecture to reduce the time spent re-watching the lecture recordings. Also pay close attention to the questions coming up in workshops and coursework, as often exams can have similar questions!

If you have any specific questions about studying biochemistry, please let me know!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
I would say make sure to ask Qs if you don't understand something (especially in the lab) to make sure you're confident with the basic skills and knowledge you'll need to understand more complicated parts of the subject. You want to make sure that you build a solid foundation for yourself so you don't get lost later on in the course. Good luck!!
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @j3lly_f1sh

I'm in my third year of biochemistry at Lancaster (currently on placement)! I'd recommend learning to make notes in the lecture to reduce the time spent re-watching the lecture recordings. Also pay close attention to the questions coming up in workshops and coursework, as often exams can have similar questions!

If you have any specific questions about studying biochemistry, please let me know!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Thank you! If I'll have some questions i'll for sure ask! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by kaorimiyazono
I would say make sure to ask Qs if you don't understand something (especially in the lab) to make sure you're confident with the basic skills and knowledge you'll need to understand more complicated parts of the subject. You want to make sure that you build a solid foundation for yourself so you don't get lost later on in the course. Good luckT

Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by j3lly_f1sh

Hi J3lly_f1sh,
I think other than discovering what note-taking/ revision style works for you, a good knowledge of the amino acids and their properties is very helpful in a biochemistry degree. I would also say that keeping a good, detailed lab book/ record of your lab sessions is essential. It helps to have detailed notes when you need to start writing lab reports. It is also just really helpful for actually understanding what you are doing in the lab and why.
I hope you enjoy studying Biochemistry, it's a great course! :smile:
Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry Student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending