The Student Room Group

How difficult is it to get a job as a Biomedical Scientist without a placement year?

Hi, I'm about to start my 2nd year studying Biomedical Science at Oxford Brookes University.

Even though this degree is IBMS accredited, the university doesn't offer placement years unless they've been organised by the student themselves. Whilst I've been trying to get some relevant work experience in hospital laboratories, I'm acutely aware of how competitive BMS trainee positions are and to be honest, I'm trying to create a plan B whilst trying to execute plan A.

If I'm not able to get a placement year to complete a training portfolio before graduating, how would I go about doing this after graduating? How difficult is it to become a BMS without a placement year? I'm also aware that BMS trainee posts are also very rare/difficult to come by.

I'm just really stressed.

Thanks x
Reply 1
It is very very difficult. Your best choice will be to get a Band 3 or 4 job in a lab. Then apply for trainee posts. Some labs will support you to do the HCPC registration portfolio as a Band 4 or 3. Those are the ones you want. Associate Practitioner is the job title in a lot of places.
It is incredibly difficult to get a training position at the moment.

To add on to the previous commenter, you should also look into Medical Laboratory Assistant roles as well and see about applying for a trainee postion when they become available.

Keep in mind though, that some labs will either not hold training positions, or take kindly to people becoming MLAs solely to get the chance at a training position later . When you do get a position in a training lab, I'd suggest that you work hard, get along with colleagues and senior staff, and keep your intentions to yourself until the option for training is available and then you apply.
Also remember that you are eligible to apply for jobs in the hospitals already. Contact and ask about weekend/bank work as a medical laboratory assistant. If you're at Oxford Brookes you're very close to the JR at OUH and there are very large departments there. It won't get you the HCPC registration but will get laboratory experience in an NHS lab and make it far easier to apply for roles after your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending