The Student Room Group

Medicine Interview Discussion 2024 Entry

Welcome to the Interview Discussion Thread 2024 Entry.

Link to last year's thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7269207

Do not discuss specific questions, tests, or any other details regarding interviews or MMIs.
(1) It is against TSR rules and most likely the med schools' rules, and
(2) it is in your advantage not to share, because you will be giving your "competitors" an advantage.

Please quote me if you wanted any advice. I will periodically pop in to give helpful tips and general feedback as the interview cycle goes on.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Shamelessly ripped from @_Rusty_ 's post from last year, thank you! 😜

The below tag list is to receive a notification for when daily/weekly questions are posted. Please do let us know if you would like to be added to this list. When questions are posted, please feel free to post your answers and we can provide feedback from there - avoid including any personal information.

Tag list:

Spoiler

(edited 4 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Universities which use MMI style:
Brunel
Imperial
KCL
SGUL
UCL
Aberdeen
ARU
Aston
Birmingham
Bristol
BSMS
Buckingham
Cardiff
Chester
Dundee
Edge Hill
Edinburgh (blended)
UEA
Exeter
HYMS
Keele
KMMS
Lancaster
Leeds
Leicester
Lincoln
Liverpool
Manchester Newcastle
Nottingham
Plymouth
QMUL
QUB
Sheffield
St Andrews
Sunderland
UCLAN
Warwick

Panel Interviews:
Cambridge
Oxford
Southampton (blended)
Glasgow

Feel free to correct me or add anything below! 😊
Reply 2
Could you please recommend a good interview prep course?

BW
Original post by tminett

BW

It's difficult to rely on interview prep courses, but would really recommend utilising all the free resources online as well as on here
Hi please free to message about interview help , i have a close friend who is a second year medical student and has been offering interview practise for the past 2 years
Reply 5
Original post by tminett

BW

Hey dm me for some!! Ive got alot :smile:
Reply 6
when is the best time to start preparing for interviews?
Original post by kitty2005
when is the best time to start preparing for interviews?

Earlier the better, I personally waited until after I finished all the UCAS application tasks and slowly started on the basic questions that could be asked. The more active practice you get, the more accustomed you will be to the interview format on the day.

Active practice here is referring to speaking out loud and answering questions on the spot in an interview environment without having notes in front of you. You can do this with friends, family, teachers, medical professionals - anyone. Otherwise, you can voice or video record yourself.
Reply 8
Original post by hameedah:)
I'm pretty sure Liverpool uses panel interviews

Last year it was a brief online interview with a couple of interviewers which they described as semi structured at the time having originally said they were aiming for inperson MMIs for home students.

Not sure what the E2024 approach will be.
Reply 9
Just to add re Southampton. This is a selection day.

Last year it was in person ONLY, no online alternative (even for international applicants).

(Covid or other pandemics permitting).
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 10
Hey everyone, I am a medical student
received offers from all 4 of my choices, feel free to let me know if you’d like assistance with interview preparation!
Reply 11
Original post by Jlcobham8
Hey everyone, I am a medical student
received offers from all 4 of my choices, feel free to let me know if you’d like assistance with interview preparation!

Could I ask what resources you used to prep? Did you have a question book or used a website etc? And how early did you start preparing? (Sorry for bombarding you with questions!!!)
Reply 12
Original post by x_sara
Could I ask what resources you used to prep? Did you have a question book or used a website etc? And how early did you start preparing? (Sorry for bombarding you with questions!!!)

Hey, I started preparing after I submitted my application so mid October, I used the ISC medical book, I also had interview prep tutoring x
Original post by hameedah:)
I'm pretty sure Liverpool uses panel interviews

'The format of interviews has not yet been confirmed for the E2024 admissions cycle but it is expected face-to-face MMI will be offered to home students and on-line MMI for international students.' Quote from their website - https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/medicine/study-with-us/undergraduate/admissions-process/.
Reply 14
Original post by Jlcobham8
Hey, I started preparing after I submitted my application so mid October, I used the ISC medical book, I also had interview prep tutoring x

Thank you! Probably means I should crack on with my interview prep considering I’ve sent my application off 🫠
For those who are planning to prepare for medicine interviews I have found a free event on medicine interviews for those who are interested: eventbrite.co.uk/e/694318173347
i'll start off question of the day with an obvious opening question: Why medicine?
For questions like above, it's important to build a structure first. Try to keep it to around 3 points and expand on each.
Original post by mccmccmcc2
For those who are planning to prepare for medicine interviews I have found a free event on medicine interviews for those who are interested: eventbrite.co.uk/e/694318173347

Wow, I might sign up?
Anyone recommend any courses? Honestly I don’t know how to prep so anyone with experience please help x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending