The Student Room Group

I really hate the war sections of every History topic! It loses me every time, HELP?

I really do love history, it is a wonderful, yet complex subject. However as soon as war begins I get entirely lost, it is all so complicated I guess but that is the least of my issues because it is also just entirely uninteresting to me. I am NOT a world war girlie, I am not a tanks or planes or helicopters or warfare girlie, I want to know about education reforms and GRAIN EXPORT!!! Is that too much to yearn for?

I need advice on how to grasp the wars that occurred in bygone years because as much as I am in denial, I know that war is important and bridges a lot of more subdued historical events together. HELP!

revision techniques are welcome!
Hi,

I felt the same way initially when I started year 13 History…
One of my topics at A-level was British experience of warfare. All about weaponry eg the Congreves Rocket, army reforms, battle tactics etc. As a girl I felt it was unfair we were having to learn this. Although this may sound sexist, boys are brought up with knowledge of weaponry and war, because that’s the stereotype for what boys are interested in. I remember talking to my Germany teacher about this, and she said she agreed, but boys in fact may have an inaccurate understanding of war because of attaining false information, and so may actually be less knowledgable about it.

Anyway, initially I didn’t like it, I really didn’t, but this was because I was trying to learn too much detail. If you are having to learn battle tactics, you don’t need to know where every soldier moved, how they got there, at what times of day this happened. Learn the basics. The textbook I used went into WAY too much detail. Just learn what you need to. Maybe also watch some YouTube videos on the wars. I really liked the war topics at A-level in the end, and I’m now going to do a History degree! (However I may be slightly biased, because my some of favourite historical periods are 1WW and 2WW). Watch videos of battle tactics, and map them out in your head.

Hope this helps
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest