The Student Room Group

Tips for getting a job as soon as you get to university

Does anyone have any advice on getting a job as soon as you arrive to uni?
I’m already submitting indeed applications beforehand.
I’m also looking at agencies.
Does the student union have jobs available or do they just help with finding part time jobs?
Your student union might have jobs available - the student union at my university operates a cafe and a bar and shops and other things which are staffed with students. Your student union might help you with getting a job with another employer as well, and your university itself will most certainly have a careers/employment department which would be glad to assist you in finding a part-time job :smile:
Reply 2
Don't wait unto you get to Uni.
Many jobs - including Christmas temp jobs - are advertised now.

Go onto websites for 'big' companies - John Lewis, Boots, M&S, Wetherspoons, Nandos etc and look at their vacancies now, and start applying now.

And once you get to Uni, get yourself into town and look for ads in windows - and get in there with your CV quickly.
Original post by Confusionn
Does the student union have jobs available or do they just help with finding part time jobs?

Its good that you have started looking and applying now. Keep on doing that. The earlier you apply the better.
Do you already have a job? Some big companies (e.g. mcdonalds, tesco etc) let you transfer to another store. So you could transfer to a store nearer uni (and go back to your store near home during xmas and over the summer)
Reply 4
Thanks everyone :smile: !
Reply 5
Original post by Emma:-)
Its good that you have started looking and applying now. Keep on doing that. The earlier you apply the better.
Do you already have a job? Some big companies (e.g. mcdonalds, tesco etc) let you transfer to another store. So you could transfer to a store nearer uni (and go back to your store near home during xmas and over the summer)

I do have a job at a cricket club but they do not have other locations. I also have a job with a couple of hospitality agencies.
Reply 6
Original post by Scotland Yard
Your student union might have jobs available - the student union at my university operates a cafe and a bar and shops and other things which are staffed with students. Your student union might help you with getting a job with another employer as well, and your university itself will most certainly have a careers/employment department which would be glad to assist you in finding a part-time job :smile:

Do you know if Student Union jobs tend to go fast ? :smile:
I do have a job at a cricket club but they do not have other locations. I also have a job with a couple of hospitality agencies.

Fair enough. If you worked for a bigger company that might have been possible.
Agencies are deffo worth a try though.
And see the cricket club where you work about the possibility of staying on and going back when you are at home from uni at xmas/easter/the summer.
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
Fair enough. If you worked for a bigger company that might have been possible.
Agencies are deffo worth a try though.
And see the cricket club where you work about the possibility of staying on and going back when you are at home from uni at xmas/easter/the summer.

I will try and see if they’ll keep me on, I’m not sure if they’ll be annoyed that I’m moving away for uni as I was supposed to originally go to a university closer to home.
I will try and see if they’ll keep me on, I’m not sure if they’ll be annoyed that I’m moving away for uni as I was supposed to originally go to a university closer to home.

Staff come and go all the time. As long as you give them the correct amount of notice when you go you will be fine. If you have been there quite a while (i.e. not just a few weeks) then theres no need for them to be annoyed. It doesnt matter which uni you go to, you have to do whats best for you. Things change.
Do you know if Student Union jobs tend to go fast ? :smile:

I don't know but I'd assume they go relatively fast. But that's probably true of most jobs. Just look on your student's union website to see job opportunities and apply as soon as opportunities show up, if you're interested in them!

Hello!

I would suggest starting before, and depending on whether you have any previous work experience, you could set up a Linkdn account which can help with finding any job vacancies available. Also, if your University has a careers department, they usually advertise any student job vacancies available with the University and outside the University.

Best of Luck

-Ghala

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending