The Student Room Group

rebellion

so i am turning 16 in a couple months and i am starting to feel like i want to rebel a bit?

a little backstory - i was at a family wedding the other day and reconnected with my second cousin lily who is 20, and the closest to me in age. i havent seen her since i was about 5 so 10 years ago. at this wedding she pulled me aside and started talking to me, it started with school and gcses and uni but then her dad came over and said do we wanna dance and she took my hand and we danced together for quite a few songs. and her and her brothers were offering me drinks which i turned down because my mum was still watching me and i havent really drunk before. she seems like real fun and im starting to think i want to rebel a bit and have fun.

anyways! i had such a great time dancing with her and she made me feel really happy and i just wanna live like that a bit more? she was talking to me about how she can make me a fake id and stuff which honestly i have never really considered but now i am considering. i feel like i wanna go to parties and get drunk and have a teenage romance and live my life a bit! instead im stuck studying and watching netflix.
problem is i love my mum to bits and we r both very sensitive and never fit etc. and i tell her absolutely everything i dont think i have any secrets from her, and she can read me like a book! nothing goes past her. i just dont want to ruin this amazing relationship which i love, but at the same time i want to be young and have fun.
am i peaking to early? does fun usually not start until im like 17/18? i dont want to look back and think i was so boring and had no fun.
hey! i'm 16 now (turning 17 soon) and i've never drunk or had a teenage romance or anything like that - but i would strongly not recommend doing some of that stuff. like even though it sounds fun to go against the rules and 'live your life' by getting a fake id and drinking, please don't do it. drinking can really harm you in ways you might not even realise, like there's a reason it's illegal to drink when you're still a minor. it can also affect your brain and impacts the making of new brain cells - and trust me, when your body is still developing and you're in school, you need all the brain cells you can get. i may sound like a goody two shoes or whatever but please trust me on this one - even though it might seem like you're getting more freedom, drinking seriously, and i mean seriously, isn't worth it at all. it will also hold you back from your full potential in school and can lower your grades (even though you're probably not going to be drinking in the daytime lmao), because i've seen it myself with other people in my year. you don't wanna deal with the hangovers and all that sh*t and alcohol has been proven to lower self esteem and other positive aspects of life, even though it may not seem like it. sure, you can drink when you're 18 and a legal adult (which is in almost 2 years which is quite a short time) but please don't drink when you're still underage.
also you mentioned your great relationship with your mum, and you're very lucky because not many people have that so don't take it for granted. don't mess up your bond with your mum just for the sake of drinks. like think about it is it really worth it lmao. think about the long term consequences - you can drink in a couple of years and sorry if i'm a bit harsh here but don't be stupid and f*ck up your life. like i said, i've seen it with other people i know and i've seen how they've changed a bit like it's kinda sad that they're somewhat destroying their potential just to feel 'free'. like no. you don't need sh*t like alcohol to 'have fun' and 'live your life'. alcohol's overrated anyway imo. you don't need to have to drink something to have fun. i can name a million other things that i've done to live my life and be happy and i've never once thought about drinking or any sh*t like that. dude, you don't need to break the law to be happy lmao
also, that thing you said about you're 'stuck studying'... come on. why the f*ck would you want to reduce your chance of getting the grades you want and maximising your potential and opportunities while you still can for the sake of getting drunk. i'm sorry but have some common sense here. sure, going to parties and being drunk and all that might be fun for you short term, but it will really impact you long term. i cannot stress this enough but please please focus on your studies and getting the grades and everything you want so it will make your life so much easier in the future. then, when you're 18+ you can start to do that stuff but prioritise your education here so you can lay out your future the way you want it, not having to think about how you could've gotten better in your grades and degrees and gotten a better job with a probably better salary. work hard and sacrifice your drinks and parties now so you can go to more and enjoy more later on in life when you're stable with everything so you don't have to worry about saving money or working more hours or anything when you're older. trust me, it's going to be so worth it. like just think logically here. you can still have so much fun now without turning to alcohol or going to parties - trust me here.
also that bit with the teenage romance, please don't try and make getting a bf (or gf) a priority here. you have to focus on yourself, especially at our age. take priority in developing and valuing yourself and your own company. and, on the way, if you happen to 'fall in love' with someone and they have the same values towards you and you both want a relationship, then go for it. but please keep in mind teenage romances tend to end kind of messily and they more often than not end up messing you up and ends in regret. and i'm speaking from experience here, almost all of my friends have been in a relationship and they've all broken up and it's been messy. i'm not saying don't get in a relationship, i'm just advising you here.
okay i'm gonna round this off and i'm really sorry if i've sounded rude or harsh or anything but these are my unsugarcoated thoughts. and i'm gonna say it again, you're not 'boring' if you haven't been to a party or drank before. drinking and going to parties is a bit basic and overrated anyway lmao. anyway i hope this helps you xx
Original post by Anonymous
hey! i'm 16 now (turning 17 soon) and i've never drunk or had a teenage romance or anything like that - but i would strongly not recommend doing some of that stuff. like even though it sounds fun to go against the rules and 'live your life' by getting a fake id and drinking, please don't do it. drinking can really harm you in ways you might not even realise, like there's a reason it's illegal to drink when you're still a minor. it can also affect your brain and impacts the making of new brain cells - and trust me, when your body is still developing and you're in school, you need all the brain cells you can get. i may sound like a goody two shoes or whatever but please trust me on this one - even though it might seem like you're getting more freedom, drinking seriously, and i mean seriously, isn't worth it at all. it will also hold you back from your full potential in school and can lower your grades (even though you're probably not going to be drinking in the daytime lmao), because i've seen it myself with other people in my year. you don't wanna deal with the hangovers and all that sh*t and alcohol has been proven to lower self esteem and other positive aspects of life, even though it may not seem like it. sure, you can drink when you're 18 and a legal adult (which is in almost 2 years which is quite a short time) but please don't drink when you're still underage.
also you mentioned your great relationship with your mum, and you're very lucky because not many people have that so don't take it for granted. don't mess up your bond with your mum just for the sake of drinks. like think about it is it really worth it lmao. think about the long term consequences - you can drink in a couple of years and sorry if i'm a bit harsh here but don't be stupid and f*ck up your life. like i said, i've seen it with other people i know and i've seen how they've changed a bit like it's kinda sad that they're somewhat destroying their potential just to feel 'free'. like no. you don't need sh*t like alcohol to 'have fun' and 'live your life'. alcohol's overrated anyway imo. you don't need to have to drink something to have fun. i can name a million other things that i've done to live my life and be happy and i've never once thought about drinking or any sh*t like that. dude, you don't need to break the law to be happy lmao
also, that thing you said about you're 'stuck studying'... come on. why the f*ck would you want to reduce your chance of getting the grades you want and maximising your potential and opportunities while you still can for the sake of getting drunk. i'm sorry but have some common sense here. sure, going to parties and being drunk and all that might be fun for you short term, but it will really impact you long term. i cannot stress this enough but please please focus on your studies and getting the grades and everything you want so it will make your life so much easier in the future. then, when you're 18+ you can start to do that stuff but prioritise your education here so you can lay out your future the way you want it, not having to think about how you could've gotten better in your grades and degrees and gotten a better job with a probably better salary. work hard and sacrifice your drinks and parties now so you can go to more and enjoy more later on in life when you're stable with everything so you don't have to worry about saving money or working more hours or anything when you're older. trust me, it's going to be so worth it. like just think logically here. you can still have so much fun now without turning to alcohol or going to parties - trust me here.
also that bit with the teenage romance, please don't try and make getting a bf (or gf) a priority here. you have to focus on yourself, especially at our age. take priority in developing and valuing yourself and your own company. and, on the way, if you happen to 'fall in love' with someone and they have the same values towards you and you both want a relationship, then go for it. but please keep in mind teenage romances tend to end kind of messily and they more often than not end up messing you up and ends in regret. and i'm speaking from experience here, almost all of my friends have been in a relationship and they've all broken up and it's been messy. i'm not saying don't get in a relationship, i'm just advising you here.
okay i'm gonna round this off and i'm really sorry if i've sounded rude or harsh or anything but these are my unsugarcoated thoughts. and i'm gonna say it again, you're not 'boring' if you haven't been to a party or drank before. drinking and going to parties is a bit basic and overrated anyway lmao. anyway i hope this helps you xx

also i forgot to mention this when i made that point about education but even though you should 100% be prioritising your education, your mental health still matters too, so if you feel burnt out or anything then take a step back and take care of yourself (not by drinking or anything lmao). you can have mental health days where you can just go for a walk or a bike ride, have a movie night or watch some shows, go for a swim in the local pool or whatever. just do what makes you happy without resorting to fake IDs, drinks and partying. you can go to parties once in a while but just be sensible and don't drink or do some stupid sh*t.
Reply 3

thank you sm for taking the time to respond! i really appreciate it :smile:
yeah i will give it a few years and then come back to the thought!
thank you x
thank you sm for taking the time to respond! i really appreciate it :smile:
yeah i will give it a few years and then come back to the thought!
thank you x

no problem! i'm glad i could help lmao
if you ever need any advice or anything you can always ask me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending