The Student Room Group

A level math module

I’m puzzled on what math module I should pick, I’m doing international a level edexcel. I want to do accounting and finance in university.
I do not want to do further maths.

Any help would be appreciated
Original post by Ja3far
I’m puzzled on what math module I should pick, I’m doing international a level edexcel. I want to do accounting and finance in university.
I do not want to do further maths.

Any help would be appreciated

OK... why would you want to do Maths for an accounting and finance degree? Most accounting and finance degrees require 3 A Levels in random subjects, unless you're specifically going for the more quantiative degrees.

If you are going for the quantiative degrees in finance, then you are more than likely be encountering stats + pure maths. There would be little decision maths and has exactly zero mechanics in the degree.
Any decision maths tend to focus on linear programming and critical path analysis. Graph theory isn't really looked into depth; it's more of a computer science and logistics thing.

Most accounting and finance degrees aren't that quantiative. You can essentially do them with basic maths you learned in high school (not sure what sort of maths you learned in high school though).
Further maths is generally overkill, but should you do it you would be mostly picking the stats modules (the pure maths in the A Level is not really relevant unless you want to look into stochastic calculus that's more reserved for very difficult finance degrees). Further maths is generally reserved for physics, maths, mathematical economics, and electrical engineering degrees.
Reply 2
All the courses I want to apply to require an A* in mathematics.
So do I take statistics or pure maths?
Original post by Ja3far

So you are taking the more quantitative degrees. Clearly an overkill for accounting, but whatever floats your boat

No degree course will specifically say which modules you have to take in your A Level Maths (at least none of those done in the UK). You could do modules in decision maths or mechanics and it wouldn't affect your application.
However, if you want modules specifically and have the most relevance to accounting and finance, statistics and pure maths hold the most relevance for the degree. I would say P1 and P2 are more than enough pure maths for the standard finance degree, so anything above that should really be statistics if you really want something with the most relevance to accounting and finance.

My default answer would be to pick whichever modules you have the highest chance of getting A* in, but if you're asking for relevance go for stats modules.
Reply 4
Thank you so much!
Can universities see what module I have picked? Or do they just see mathematics?
Because I could just take core maths or whatever and get an easy A* and focus on my other 2 subjects that I’ll pick which is probably going to be ( accounting and economics )
Reply 5
Original post by Ja3far
Thank you so much!
Can universities see what module I have picked? Or do they just see mathematics?
Because I could just take core maths or whatever and get an easy A* and focus on my other 2 subjects that I’ll pick which is probably going to be ( accounting and economics )

You should pick S1 S2 as the optional papers as there is not much to learn and I will send you the past papers. :wink:

You will have to declare your module grades on the UCAS form, and it is advantageous to declare module scores as it will look favourable. :smile:
Reply 6
What do you mean optional papers ?

Quick Reply

Latest