The Student Room Group

Oxbridge reapplication/Durham

Hi,

I applied to Oxford last year and was shortlisted for interview but was subsequently turned down. I got around 60% on my HAT and had 3 A*s predicted. I subsequently scored 7/10 in my interview.

I received my a level results last week and got A*s in History and French, as well as an A in art. Notably I scored 97% in my History a level. Does anyone think it is worth me reapplying for History at Oxbridge, or should I just take my existing offer at Durham (Castle College)?
Reply 1
Original post by cornall
Hi,

I applied to Oxford last year and was shortlisted for interview but was subsequently turned down. I got around 60% on my HAT and had 3 A*s predicted. I subsequently scored 7/10 in my interview.

I received my a level results last week and got A*s in History and French, as well as an A in art. Notably I scored 97% in my History a level. Does anyone think it is worth me reapplying for History at Oxbridge, or should I just take my existing offer at Durham (Castle College)?

Well done! Fab results. If you do take a year out and reapply you have to do it knowing that you might not get in second time around. It sounds like you had a strong application first time round so you would need to think carefully what you could do to make yourself an even stronger candidate. I’m not sure how 60% in the HAT compares to the average score for those made offers? Also, what would you do with your year off? Could you do something to strengthen your application. If you don’t get in , with the A level results that you have got it seems likely you will get in to Durham or Edinburgh, or another top uni. If you take a year off and reapply to Oxford , and don’t get in, will you look back and regret taking the year off, or will you be glad that you gave it another go so there aren’t any “what if’s “. If you do reapply, it is usually advisable to apply to a different college second time round.

Good luck xx
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cornall
Hi,

what were your GCSEs
Reply 3
Original post by cornall
Hi,

Did you request to Oxford why you were rejected? What were their reasons?
Original post by cornall
Hi,

Durham is a very good university, I don't think it's worth giving up your existing offer. It's a big risk, and there's no guarantee you would do significantly better this time around. The average HAT score for a successful applicant in 2022-23 was 71.4, and 68.3 for shortlisted candidates. For interviews, the average score for a successful candidate was 7.79, with 6.52 for shortlisted candidates.

https://www.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/History-Information_for_Applicants_2022-2023_FINAL.pdf

Oxford isn't the be all and end all, I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy at Durham.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by emilyalexandria
Durham is a very good university, I don't think it's worth giving up your existing offer. It's a big risk, and there's no guarantee you would do significantly better this time around. The average HAT score for a successful applicant in 2022-23 was 71.4, and 68.3 for shortlisted candidates. For interviews, the average score for a successful candidate was 7.79, with 6.52 for shortlisted candidates.

https://www.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/History-Information_for_Applicants_2022-2023_FINAL.pdf

Oxford isn't the be all and end all, I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy at Durham.

this is a very informative reply, and only my quibble is re the ‘perfectly happy’ with it’s connotations of resignation to second best. Durham could be even better, who knows?!
Reply 6
Original post by emilyalexandria

With those stats for the admission tests and interviews, compared to your scores, I would suggest that reapplication to Oxford is unlikely to be successful, unless of course you can work out how to significantly boost your HAT score. I agree with @MedMama, Durham is a fantastic uni, which may well suit you better than Oxford.
Take the offer from Durham.
Original post by CAG575
With those stats for the admission tests and interviews, compared to your scores, I would suggest that reapplication to Oxford is unlikely to be successful, unless of course you can work out how to significantly boost your HAT score. I agree with @MedMama, Durham is a fantastic uni, which may well suit you better than Oxford.

Yes, we agree on the advice yet I want to make the point that a further relevant metric would be A level results.
It could be that Emily even did *better than the average offer holder at her college* in terms of A level marks. Often I think these decisions rest on fine margins, and could have turned out differently had the university in question known the A level results in advance.
Reply 9
Original post by MedMama
Yes, we agree on the advice yet I want to make the point that a further relevant metric would be A level results.
It could be that Emily even did *better than the average offer holder at her college* in terms of A level marks. Often I think these decisions rest on fine margins, and could have turned out differently had the university in question known the A level results in advance.

Hi @MedMama. My apologies, I was only saying that I agreed with you that Durham is a great uni and one could be happier there than Oxford. So hard to tell. Reapplicant will have to still sit the HAT again so would need to bring up her HAT score to tip the balance in her favour. A high score in the History Alevel will definitely help, and actual grades carry more weight than predicted grades.
Original post by CAG575
Hi @MedMama. My apologies, I was only saying that I agreed with you that Durham is a great uni and one could be happier there than Oxford. So hard to tell. Reapplicant will have to still sit the HAT again so would need to bring up her HAT score to tip the balance in her favour. A high score in the History Alevel will definitely help, and actual grades carry more weight than predicted grades.

thank you, a respectful post indirectly for someone who might have thrived at Oxford,
but agree it’s too much of a risk to reapply to either Durham or Oxford and expect an offer- it’s the same with BMAT/ UCAT for medicine :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Sirius17
Did you request to Oxford why you were rejected? What were their reasons?

Lack of historical imagination and attention to detail in the interview, presumably as well as the HAT score.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending