The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy Applicants 2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by normaw
If you're applying to uni for Physiotherapy for 2024 entry, introduce yourself to fellow applicants, ask questions and share your experience of applying so far:

What universities are you thinking of?
A level / BTEC / IB / Higher predicted grades
Extra curriculars

Please don't share details of interview questions on the forum - it gives those who follow you an unfair advantage.

@CamembertPaws FYI

Hi
I have just been invited for an interview for Msc Physiotherapy ( pre registration) and wondering what the interview is like, whether clinical questions are usually asked.
My daughter submitted her UCAS last Wednesday to Nottingham, Birmingham, Plymouth, Brighton and York St John’s. Heard back from Plymouth within 24 hours with an offer for interview
Reply 22
Original post by Cookie-dog
My daughter submitted her UCAS last Wednesday to Nottingham, Birmingham, Plymouth, Brighton and York St John’s. Heard back from Plymouth within 24 hours with an offer for interview

Good luck to your daughter!
My daughter applied similar time last year. Just to say do not get disheartened that some universities can take a while to get back to you. Birmingham were quick with the interview invites, she had that in December, but then didn't get a decision until mid April.
Nottingham was actually her last uni to send her an interview invite but then they were quick with the decision. She is now at Nottingham!
You will find that friends on other courses (without interviews) are likely to have all their decisions back a lot sooner, my daughter was one of the first to apply, but then one of the last to get all her decisions back in the end.
She did have a couple of offers back before Christmas though which was a relief, but then the rest seemed to take ages.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by LMas01
Good luck to your daughter!
My daughter applied similar time last year. Just to say do not get disheartened that some universities can take a while to get back to you. Birmingham were quick with the interview invites, she had that in December, but then didn't get a decision until mid April.
Nottingham was actually her last uni to send her an interview invite but then they were quick with the decision. She is now at Nottingham!
You will find that friends on other courses (without interviews) are likely to have all their decisions back a lot sooner, my daughter was one of the first to apply, but then one of the last to get all her decisions back in the end.
She did have a couple of offers back before Christmas though which was a relief, but then the rest seemed to take ages.

That's really useful to know. Thank you. Nottingham is my daughter's favourite too, so fingers crossed!
Reply 24
Original post by student_5253
Hi, if you don't mind could you please tell me the online course you did as I'm currently looking for physio related wider reading to enhance my personal statement, but can't find anything.

Hiya! I am a first year physio student at kcl and something i found really useful was a podcast called the pain reframed podcast. I referred to alot of quotes and sayings from it and it really helped in my interview. Another good way is to look up research on physio studies. I looked at many about osteoarthritis, chronic back pain linked with depression and etc :smile::smile: and included them briefly in my personal statement and went into further detail in my interview. i hope this helps!
Original post by kvlsie
Hiya! I am a first year physio student at kcl and something i found really useful was a podcast called the pain reframed podcast. I referred to alot of quotes and sayings from it and it really helped in my interview. Another good way is to look up research on physio studies. I looked at many about osteoarthritis, chronic back pain linked with depression and etc :smile::smile: and included them briefly in my personal statement and went into further detail in my interview. i hope this helps!

Hello. Thank you so much! Could you perhaps recommend any websites to look at these research studies. I have been on CSP and viewed a few articles but I’m not sure if that’s enough.
Reply 26
Original post by student_5253
Hello. Thank you so much! Could you perhaps recommend any websites to look at these research studies. I have been on CSP and viewed a few articles but I’m not sure if that’s enough.

This is the website i mainly used but honestly dont stress urself too much about reading so many. I only read about 3 and only even referenced two very briefly in my interview because u also want to make time for other things u have done :smile::smile: good luck!!!

https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles
Original post by kvlsie
This is the website i mainly used but honestly dont stress urself too much about reading so many. I only read about 3 and only even referenced two very briefly in my interview because u also want to make time for other things u have done :smile::smile: good luck!!!

https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles

Thank you so much!!
Reply 28
Original post by Tonic126
Hi, I am a oversea student from Hong Kong, and has been studying in UK for a year
I am pretty sure I would study physiotherapy, haven’t choose the uni yet though~
A level pre grades:
Math:A*
Chemistry:A
Biology:B
Physics:A
Ielts:7.5

Some of my related experience(Most were done back when I was in HK):
-Red cross physio assistant certificate course
-5 years as a St Johns Ambulance member
-AED&CPR and first aid course
-Some elderly related volunteering
-Participate in Chem and bio challenge, bronze in chem

Unfortunately, I cant really find a physiotheraist shadowing nor any NHS related experience
Does anyone have any recommendation for my uni choice?

Hey hey same here!! However my predicted grade is
Biology A*. Mathematics A Physics B Chemistry B🥲

To be able to apply to work placements ir shadowing in nearby hospitals, my suggestion is to pester them with emails sls, most of the hospitals will not answer you unless you show that you are very determined and desperate for a work shadowing as they receive a lot of applications from students every single day! Good luck and feel free to message me if you want.
Hi, I am a oversea student from Hong Kong, and has been studying in UK for a year
I am pretty sure I would study physiotherapy, haven’t choose the uni yet though~
A level pre grades:

Unfortunately, I cant really find a physiotheraist shadowing nor any NHS related experience

i did the red cross course as well! would you apply to universities in hong kong? btw i thought job shadowing was necessary for uk unis (might be wrong)
Hearing about people already getting interviews is quite daunting seeing as I haven't submitted my application yet. :frown: I hope to be able to send it this week.
Reply 31
Original post by wanttoknow123
Hearing about people already getting interviews is quite daunting seeing as I haven't submitted my application yet. :frown: I hope to be able to send it this week.

Honestly do not worry. My daughter applied in October last year, she did have some interviews in December, then the rest January and February. She didn't get decisions back for one until the end of April, and another said it would be May but she withdrew before that decision so she could make her firm and insurance choices. Everyone gets equal consideration before the January deadline.
Reply 32
Original post by dentistjoe
i did the red cross course as well! would you apply to universities in hong kong? btw i thought job shadowing was necessary for uk unis (might be wrong)

Hi hi may I ask are you planning to apply for both Uk physio and Hong Kong physio as well?
Original post by …jcool
Hi hi may I ask are you planning to apply for both Uk physio and Hong Kong physio as well?

i’m only applying to physio in hk, i went for biomed in uk cuz i know it’s hard to get offers as international
Original post by …jcool

would you apply to polyu?
Reply 35
Original post by dentistjoe

Well poly u is way too competitive for me -_-
The chance for getting in is slim I would say
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 36
A level pre grades:

Hi!! I'm a year 1 physiotherapy student who's originally from HK too and I really really REALLY suggest you to try to get shadowing experience. From my application process last year, if you don't really have shadowing experience, a lot of unis just reject you right away after you submit your personal statement (make sure to read the fine print on the website of each uni bc some do say that
I highly recommend you to just email or call any physiotherapy practice that is nearby where you live and ask if you can shadow them for a day or two because unis here really put a lot of emphasis on shadowing/work experience (either that or try to coordinate something with your school because that seems to be the way a lot of my classmates got their shadowing opportunities)

That being said, if you really can't, I will say a couple popular "prestigeous" choices among the people around me are Southampton, Liverpool, Nottingham and KCL but some of those did immediately reject me for lack of shadowing experience (Southampton+Liverpool)
If you don't mind a 4 year degree, I think Birmingham is pretty good too. I ended up going to Birmingham and they did seem understanding with my lack of shadowing experience
For some insurance choices, I applied to Brunel University London and University of Essex but some other choices by my classmates were MMU, Cardiff and Coventry

Hope this helps!!
Original post by wrentie
Hi!! I'm a year 1 physiotherapy student who's originally from HK too and I really really REALLY suggest you to try to get shadowing experience. From my application process last year, if you don't really have shadowing experience, a lot of unis just reject you right away after you submit your personal statement (make sure to read the fine print on the website of each uni bc some do say that
I highly recommend you to just email or call any physiotherapy practice that is nearby where you live and ask if you can shadow them for a day or two because unis here really put a lot of emphasis on shadowing/work experience (either that or try to coordinate something with your school because that seems to be the way a lot of my classmates got their shadowing opportunities)

That being said, if you really can't, I will say a couple popular "prestigeous" choices among the people around me are Southampton, Liverpool, Nottingham and KCL but some of those did immediately reject me for lack of shadowing experience (Southampton+Liverpool)
If you don't mind a 4 year degree, I think Birmingham is pretty good too. I ended up going to Birmingham and they did seem understanding with my lack of shadowing experience
For some insurance choices, I applied to Brunel University London and University of Essex but some other choices by my classmates were MMU, Cardiff and Coventry

Hope this helps!!

I'm a student from HK as well trying to apply to the UK for physio, could I please message you for some advice?
Reply 38
Original post by tacomuncher42
I'm a student from HK as well trying to apply to the UK for physio, could I please message you for some advice?

Sure no problem :smile:
Hiya 👋

I'm a current student from the university of Essex 😊

We offer BSc Physiotherapy, but also check out our other undergrad courses we offer within the school of sports rehabilitation and exercise sciences (SRES)

https://www.essex.ac.uk/departments/sport-rehabilitation-and-exercise-sciences/undergraduate

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending