The Student Room Group

Should I work part time for my first year in university?

Hi all, I am hoping to start a business management course next year, and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on working part time whilst studying in your first year?

I appreciate this is not optional for many. I am mainly curious on how working part time impacted your 1st year studies? Would you have had a signficantly easier time not working in your first year?
Original post by BusyBeeBen
Hi all, I am hoping to start a business management course next year, and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on working part time whilst studying in your first year?

I appreciate this is not optional for many. I am mainly curious on how working part time impacted your 1st year studies? Would you have had a signficantly easier time not working in your first year?

Hi @BusyBeeBen,

Firstly, congratulations for getting into university!! How are you feeling about first year?

Working while studying in first year isn't easy but it is common. You may want to figure out which kind of work is better for you. For example, a lot of students get jobs at their universities in cafes/clubs, libraries or as student ambassadors (although these hours aren't set so you might be working different hours each month so if you're looking for extra cash for spending money onto of a job, this would be ideal). Working with the university has its benefits. The university know you are a student so they should ensure you are not overworked and get a fair amount of hours. Some jobs you get with the university can be flexible, it depends on what you get and what agreement you have with the employer. However, other jobs might suit you better e.g. doing summer work/winter nearly full time and not working during term. Doing both could lead to burn out (working part time during university and full time in holidays).

In your first year I would advice getting a job with the university. You can also make friends this way so it is great for first year. I would wait a few weeks so you can settle in, then look for jobs. Make sure to network with staff and students at your university as they might know of jobs for you to apply to. Some jobs I have had are due to word of mouth. Be sure to get in touch with your universities career service as they might be able to help you too.

Finally, whichever you decide to do please make sure to put yourself first. If things become difficult you can reach out to external services or internal services at your university. If you notice going to work is impacting your studies it is okay to reach out for help. This is what your university support service is for.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi @BusyBeeBen

I started my part-time job as a Student Ambassador right at the end of first year. I think it was good for me to have more free time at the start of university, but I also kind of wish I had started earlier as campus jobs (ambassador/bar staff/working at the SU nightclub) at Lancaster are such an amazing way to make new friends and feel part of another community. My job is currently a zero-hour contract, so when I get super busy with coursework I just don't pick up any shifts that month, which I think makes it easier for me as well.

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Hi!
I have found working during my first year to be a great way to top up my finances and even to make new friends. In my experience it is very common for first year students to work a part time job alongside their studies. I don't think working impacted my studies at all during my first year, however going forward as a second and third year student receiving a bigger workload I will be ensuring my hours don't impact my studies.
Hope this helps! Faye :smile:

Hey

I have found it manageable working alongside doing a degree. When I did my first degree, I would work 3 days a week and then go into uni whenever I was timetabled to go in. As long as you manage your time accordingly, you should have no issues working and studying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending