The Student Room Group

Quitting Part-Time Job

Hello

I have worked part-time during college for the past 2 years and found out yesterday that I was accepted into my first-choice university so I'm looking to hand my notice in. But, I don't think that my manager will be on-shift tomorrow.

I was thinking I would hand it to another department manager or the store manager tomorrow whilst I'm at work and ask if they could pass it onto my manager when they see them next (I work one shift per week so they're more likely to see them than me). After work I'm planning to text my manager to let them know who has the notice.

Would this be inappropriate? Does the notice have to be handed to the manager directly? My manager is already aware that I might be handing in my notice as he has approached me to ask about university a few times

Thank you for any replies.
Hand it in to the most senior person on site.
If the employer is happy enough for them to be in charge then they can deal with issues like this. Don't worry.
Good luck for your future.
Original post by 048243
Hello

I have worked part-time during college for the past 2 years and found out yesterday that I was accepted into my first-choice university so I'm looking to hand my notice in. But, I don't think that my manager will be on-shift tomorrow.

I was thinking I would hand it to another department manager or the store manager tomorrow whilst I'm at work and ask if they could pass it onto my manager when they see them next (I work one shift per week so they're more likely to see them than me). After work I'm planning to text my manager to let them know who has the notice.

Would this be inappropriate? Does the notice have to be handed to the manager directly? My manager is already aware that I might be handing in my notice as he has approached me to ask about university a few times

Thank you for any replies.

Just hand it to the deputy manager or whoever is in charge.
Give them the required one or two weeks notice and make sure you are paid for any outstanding holidays as well as pay.

Another thing haven't you not thought about asking for a transfer to another store of the company where you are going study at university and work weekends part-time....??

Best luck with your university course
Reply 3
Original post by Littleemma98
Just hand it to the deputy manager or whoever is in charge.
Give them the required one or two weeks notice and make sure you are paid for any outstanding holidays as well as pay.

Another thing haven't you not thought about asking for a transfer to another store of the company where you are going study at university and work weekends part-time....??

Best luck with your university course

Thank you,

I have already been approached by the manager asking if I would like a transfer. Honestly, I love the people working here because of how nice they are. I've thought about it thoroughly but decided against it. Thank you for checking though!

Edit: In case you were wondering, they closed their store in that location last year and it would require me to commute. It would be quite a long commute to the next city over and I wouldn't like that pressure and stress, especially during my first week of university.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by 048243
Thank you,

I have already been approached by the manager asking if I would like a transfer. Honestly, I love the people working here because of how nice they are. I've thought about it thoroughly but decided against it. Thank you for checking though!

Edit: In case you were wondering, they closed their store in that location last year and it would require me to commute. It would be quite a long commute to the next city over and I wouldn't like that pressure and stress, especially during my first week of university.

You are welcome 🤗

That's the problem those days they are closing lot's of store's etc which is making it difficult for the likes of yourself wishing to transfer to a store in another town/ city due to moving for university.

It's not worth it travelling long distances unless it is worth doing, you may find it fine doing it even though you are attending university, maybe you should have took a week holiday off from the job to allow the first week at university to go okay and then try to commute and if it's too much for you then handed in your notice.

Use the experience to find a part-time job where you are attending university as there'll be something for you.
Reply 5
Original post by Littleemma98
You are welcome 🤗

That's the problem those days they are closing lot's of store's etc which is making it difficult for the likes of yourself wishing to transfer to a store in another town/ city due to moving for university.

It's not worth it travelling long distances unless it is worth doing, you may find it fine doing it even though you are attending university, maybe you should have took a week holiday off from the job to allow the first week at university to go okay and then try to commute and if it's too much for you then handed in your notice.

Use the experience to find a part-time job where you are attending university as there'll be something for you.

Definitely! Hoping for a on-campus job that I can start in the first month but if not I will start applying towards Christmas I think
Original post by 048243
Definitely! Hoping for a on-campus job that I can start in the first month but if not I will start applying towards Christmas I think

Definitely got the right Idea about finding a job. All the major retailers will be starting there Christmas applications very soon ( usually at end of August beginning of September onwards) so keep a look out for those.

Hope you will find something on campus whether it's temporary or even longer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending