The Student Room Group

LLB and a part time job - advice needed!

Alright so I'm going into my first year as a law undergrad at warwick this september, and im trying to sort out all my finances beforehand.

Realistically, how many hours should i be working part time at the uni? I'm in the cryfield townhouses so its expensive from the start (207 for 40 weeks) , so im thinking 10 or so hours per week. I'd like to achieve the highest grades I possibly can whilst working and going to the gym frequently along with spamming extracurriculars from the start, but I can't work too little because I want to be able to have a somewhat comfortable experience too. I live in Birmingham, so I can easily go back and get some food from time to time I guess.
Original post by hhgr8g4we
Alright so I'm going into my first year as a law undergrad at warwick this september, and im trying to sort out all my finances beforehand.

Realistically, how many hours should i be working part time at the uni? I'm in the cryfield townhouses so its expensive from the start (207 for 40 weeks) , so im thinking 10 or so hours per week. I'd like to achieve the highest grades I possibly can whilst working and going to the gym frequently along with spamming extracurriculars from the start, but I can't work too little because I want to be able to have a somewhat comfortable experience too. I live in Birmingham, so I can easily go back and get some food from time to time I guess.

Hi there @hhgr8g4we , congratulations on securing a place at University.

I am also a law undergraduate student. I think it is possible to take on a part-time job at University. Though how much time you dedicate to your job really depends on how you study and your extracurricular activities.

Depending on the modules you are taking, there may be time that you are more or less busy, in particular, I think you have to bear in mind any coursework deadlines, and to leave yourself enough time to complete these. As a law student, I think listing all your coursework deadlines in advance can be a good strategy in terms of tackling work load and managing time.

10 hours per week to me does sounds quite reasonable overall. Perhaps another thing to consider is how much your first year grades or modules will count towards your final grade?

Travelling between Birmingham and Warwick is quite a good option too, it can help with your expenses and allow you to get both a mix of University life and life back at home. I hope this helps.

All the best with University.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending