The Student Room Group

GCSE Mathematics Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by hannah.belj
Im doing higher tier maths and i have mocks next week and im rllllly struggling any advise so i can improve???

Do lots of practice questions and past papers cos maths is all about practice. Go over questions you lost marks in and dont revise too much for topics you already know well. IK it sounds obvious but everyone always wants to revise the topics they are already good at because its less work for ur brain.
Reply 41
Original post by dmedz
Any good maths websites?? For grade 9

Depends, doing higher or foundation
Reply 42
Original post by 12ftg
anyone doing gcse further maths here?

Yes i will probably do it. So for my school there is middle band top band and bottom band. Out of middle band they choose the best 15 pupils out of 45. So i am in middle badn but have put alot of work in so i will probs do it
Reply 43
Original post by 12ftg
anyone doing gcse further maths here?

Yh, im doing further maths this year
Reply 45
Original post by dmedz
https://www.mymathscloud.com/modules/gcse-igcse-o-level/practice-papers/edexcel

Aiming for 9 past papers for edexcel
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by hannah.belj
you still need to memorise some formulas as they wont give us all the formulas
Do you know which ones we need to memorize like which ones??
Original post by CoolCola981
i am doing igcse higher tier maths this year. You can look at maths genie igcse section for help.
i am also doing igcse higher tier maths but i m failing my mocks so can anyone help
Original post by dmedz
Maths genie
Reply 49
Physics and Maths Tutor
im doing higher igcse maths and just aiming for a 5, what topics would i want to know perfectly to get that grade, and what can i know less well?
Reply 51
Just joined to ask this Q - has there ever been a GCSE non-calculator question where they ask you to work out the answer to 2d.p for eg, with the Q requiring you to use pi in your calculations. For example, could they ask you to leave your answer for the vol of a cylinder to 3s.f instead of 'leave your ans in terms of pi'. - Year 10 student.
Reply 52
Hello I wanted to ask I have been stuck at a grade 4 in maths and I want to get a grade 6 and I only have 5 weeks until my first maths exam, do you think it’s near possible for me to jump from grade 4 to a 6 with 2 hours of maths everyday along with lots of past papers? Any help and recommendations would be helpful. What should I do to improve my maths grade to the fullest? Thanks.
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Original post by jdeep22
Hello I wanted to ask I have been stuck at a grade 4 in maths and I want to get a grade 6 and I only have 5 weeks until my first maths exam, do you think it’s near possible for me to jump from grade 4 to a 6 with 2 hours of maths everyday along with lots of past papers? Any help and recommendations would be helpful. What should I do to improve my maths grade to the fullest? Thanks.

hey,
i think you should be doing past papers then after checking it , find your weak area's and work on them
work on them by each topics do tropical questions then if u get stuck on any topics take help from teachers or from youtube and website like maths genie which is also great they provide videos and past papers .

And with in time i think you can achieve goals

GOOD LUCK for your exams....🙂
Reply 54
Thanks
is there any websites which will help get good gcse grades
Original post by K...,
Just joined to ask this Q - has there ever been a GCSE non-calculator question where they ask you to work out the answer to 2d.p for eg, with the Q requiring you to use pi in your calculations. For example, could they ask you to leave your answer for the vol of a cylinder to 3s.f instead of 'leave your ans in terms of pi'. - Year 10 student.

Yes definitely, and even more so if it’s a calculator paper but it can also be for non calculator , for example in one of the questions they asked to use pi but assuming the value is 3.14, rounding your answer to 3 s.f is usually the most common but they can most definitely ask to 2 d.p so read the question carefully
Original post by TheGameZone

hey! my grade is pretty average (5-6) but it took WORK to get it so here's what i used

videos and q's on cognitoedu.org

savemyexams.org

mathsgenie.co.uk

i like to make notes and flashcards, both on paper and online. cause quizlet.com wants my money, i recommend getrevising.co.uk, it's actually part of tsr lol

and ofc bbc bitesize is pretty good if u learn by reading + pictures.

most of these sites also have yt channels.

Original post by TheGameZone

and ofc just doing past papers and marking them is the best way to improve your grade.
Reply 59
Original post by unequivocal
Yes definitely, and even more so if it’s a calculator paper but it can also be for non calculator , for example in one of the questions they asked to use pi but assuming the value is 3.14, rounding your answer to 3 s.f is usually the most common but they can most definitely ask to 2 d.p so read the question carefully

Cheers for the answer - that's reassuring. As long which approximation of pi to be used is stated in the event of it being a non-calc Q, all should be fine, as that was where my uncertainty lied. Thanks again.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest