The Student Room Group

GCSE Biology Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the GCSE Biology Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Hiiii I do AQA gcse biology- my only science and I genuinely cannot stand the subject. However, I really really want an 8/9 in the exam, pls recommend study tips!!
Reply 21
Original post by erin282888441
Hi guys! A level Biology student here! I achieved 9s across all my science GCSEs, despite being predicted a 4. The biggest piece of advice I have is to FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH EXAM QUESTIONS. The best way to do this is by completing the Physics and Maths tutor questions for each topic and the past papers for your exam board.

To learn the content:

Work through the videos and questions on Cognito, this is great for building your understanding, as well as actively recalling the information.

Watch the FreeScienceLessons videos. He should cover most of the content for all exam boards.

FreeScienceLessons link -> https://www.youtube.com/@Freesciencelessons

Invest in a whiteboard and pen, but paper will also work. Read through the specification points for your exam board, and write down on your whiteboard everything you can remember for the point (e.g, specific biological processes). This is active recall and is essential for building your long term memory.

Most importantly DO NOT STRESS! GCSEs are a very small part of your life, and in order to achieve the grades you want you must maintain a healthy balance! Make sure to reach out if you are struggling!

I hope this helps! Feel free to message me or reply to this if you have any questions! ☺️

Thank you so much for recommending Cognito - this has made my revision so much easier! At first I was stressing out as I haven't made any flashcards and was wondering if there wasn't enough time as it takes forever, but Cognito gives some really good ones. Also, how is A-Level Biology like - pros and cons?
Reply 22
Original post by erin282888441
Hi guys! A level Biology student here! I achieved 9s across all my science GCSEs, despite being predicted a 4. The biggest piece of advice I have is to FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH EXAM QUESTIONS. The best way to do this is by completing the Physics and Maths tutor questions for each topic and the past papers for your exam board.

To learn the content:

Work through the videos and questions on Cognito, this is great for building your understanding, as well as actively recalling the information.

Watch the FreeScienceLessons videos. He should cover most of the content for all exam boards.

FreeScienceLessons link -> https://www.youtube.com/@Freesciencelessons

Invest in a whiteboard and pen, but paper will also work. Read through the specification points for your exam board, and write down on your whiteboard everything you can remember for the point (e.g, specific biological processes). This is active recall and is essential for building your long term memory.

Most importantly DO NOT STRESS! GCSEs are a very small part of your life, and in order to achieve the grades you want you must maintain a healthy balance! Make sure to reach out if you are struggling!

I hope this helps! Feel free to message me or reply to this if you have any questions! ☺️
but PMT's questions are sooo long it takes me a day to go through them for each mini topic lol
Reply 23
Original post by Pwca

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:
You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:
Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:
Hi!

AQA
I really enjoy the stuff to do with the body - heart, lungs, digestive system, etc.
I struggle with and am not really a fan of biological molecules and cell stuff.
Reply 24
Original post by liz.raspberry07
I do aqa too!
I'm kinda stressing rn bc my teacher is teaching us the lessons so slow and idk how we're ever going to finish learning all the topics before gcses start lmao
samee my teacher didn't teach us properly and we're so behind and she literally left a few days ago
Original post by mza07

Thank you so much for recommending Cognito - this has made my revision so much easier! At first I was stressing out as I haven't made any flashcards and was wondering if there wasn't enough time as it takes forever, but Cognito gives some really good ones. Also, how is A-Level Biology like - pros and cons?

I’m glad to hear that!
A-level biology is a very useful subject and very interesting however it is so much harder than GCSE. There is a lot of processes with very specific aspects you need to remember in order to actually get any marks. The mark scheme is very specific
Original post by Pwca

Specifications

Any topic predictions? (Edexcel triple higher)
Original post by Pwca

Specifications

hiii! i do AQA and i basically use the kerboodle textbooks to create flashcards and what not
How to revise 3 weeks before the first biology paper
The first bio paper is on the 10th of may. Your main focus is getting your content sorted immediately. Then do as many past papers as possible(do this for all sciences). Keep doing this till the end and i will send you guys a good luck message the day before the first biology exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending