The Student Room Group

Do I stand a chance?

I am currently in year 12 and I am planning on applying to study medicine next year, currently I have predicted grades of AAAA for physics, chemistry, biology and maths for AS level, and I do believe I can get A*A*A*A in my A levels, and do well in my UCAT and Interviews, I have also done a few supercurricular's such as reading medical books, work experience for 2 weeks in a clinic and I plan on doing some more in the summer holidays. The problem is that I got ABBBBCCD in my GCSE's as I did not take studies seriously during that time and did not revise even once for my boards, I got the D in English language and I plan on resiting it to get a B or more. For two of my choices in the UCAS I plan on applying to Cambridge and Imperial would I have a good chance of getting in or would my GCSE affect my odds significantly. And what else can I do to improve my chances of getting in.
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
ur bad gcse grades simply means u have to apply more stragetically to unis that don't care about gcse grades during the application process. u still have a chance if u get a good UCAT, as often a good UCAT can make up for bad GCSE's.

Imperial does not care about gcse or a level grades whatsoever as long as u meet entry requirements, e.g. A*AA in a levels is seen the same as A*A*A*A* and same with gcses, they r both meeting entry req.. imperial instead test the aptitute of students by purely ranking students based on UCAT and then the academic portion of the interview. cambridge do not care as much abt gcses but i dont know to what extent, email them if u want to make sure.

hope that helps, feel free to ask any more questions
Reply 3
Original post by ismaelishere
ur bad gcse grades simply means u have to apply more stragetically to unis that don't care about gcse grades during the application process. u still have a chance if u get a good UCAT, as often a good UCAT can make up for bad GCSE's.
Imperial does not care about gcse or a level grades whatsoever as long as u meet entry requirements, e.g. A*AA in a levels is seen the same as A*A*A*A* and same with gcses, they r both meeting entry req.. imperial instead test the aptitute of students by purely ranking students based on UCAT and then the academic portion of the interview. cambridge do not care as much abt gcses but i dont know to what extent, email them if u want to make sure.
hope that helps, feel free to ask any more questions
Thanks a lot that does help, you said imperial won't care about gcse's as long as I meet the entry requirements, so how do they choose who gets invited to the interview and who does not?
Original post by po101
Thanks a lot that does help, you said imperial won't care about gcse's as long as I meet the entry requirements, so how do they choose who gets invited to the interview and who does not?

they rank purely on UCAT results and the top 1000 or whatever number they pick get interviewed. From that they then decide who gets the place.
Original post by po101

here is it in imperials words:

Our minimum requirement is for grades AAA in three A-levels including Chemistry and Biology, with a standard offer being A*AA (with the A* in Chemistry or Biology). When initially assessing applications, we look at predicted grades, not AS level or GCSE results. If these are sufficient then you will proceed to the next stage of the assessment, which is the UCAT. All applicants who are predicted AAA will go through to the next stage of the selection process (the UCAT grades), thus a candidate predicted 4 A*s has no advantage over one who is predicted AAA. Applicants with the highest UCAT scores are invited to interview and offers are made based on interview performance. Please note that any offer made will be our standard as above.
ur takeaway here should be u can hide ur gcses but in the process sacrifice ur brilliant A level being considered and role the dice based on UCAT. honestly idk how bad ur gcses r compared to everyone else, so idk if its worth it. if u get super good UCAT defo apply imperial tho. its ur choice ulrimately.
Reply 7
Original post by ismaelishere
ur takeaway here should be u can hide ur gcses but in the process sacrifice ur brilliant A level being considered and role the dice based on UCAT. honestly idk how bad ur gcses r compared to everyone else, so idk if its worth it. if u get super good UCAT defo apply imperial tho. its ur choice ulrimately.
Ok thanks a lot this helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending