The Student Room Group

A-level Mathematics Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlishaDaisy
same, i'm in year 12 as well! I am still doing Pure, not touched upons Stats and Mechanics just yet, but hopefully I'll manage! Also, I highly recommend you use MathsGenie, there is a bunch of exam-style questions on every topic. Best of luck! ;-)

thank you so much! ill check out mathsgenie- i wan't aware it had alevel resources, thats really good!! honestly stats is so fun but maybe ill change my mind as time goes on :ashamed:good luck to you too!! hopefully the next 2 years will be okay haha:smile:
Original post by staticsocks
thank you so much! ill check out mathsgenie- i wan't aware it had alevel resources, thats really good!! honestly stats is so fun but maybe ill change my mind as time goes on :ashamed:good luck to you too!! hopefully the next 2 years will be okay haha:smile:

thanks! :smile:
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the A-level Mathematics Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Hi, I am in year 12.
What exam board are you with? Edexcel
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course? I just love solving math problems
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course? The mechanics part of math. To be more specific, right now it's constant acceleration. I don't understand the stories they write in the questions. Even when i feel i am calculating the right thing my answers alway turn out wrong.
Original post by Anna_belle!!
Hi, I am in year 12.
What exam board are you with? Edexcel
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course? I just love solving math problems
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course? The mechanics part of math. To be more specific, right now it's constant acceleration. I don't understand the stories they write in the questions. Even when i feel i am calculating the right thing my answers alway turn out wrong.

I assume you are talking about those questions which require you to apply SUVAT equations?
Haha wait until you get to pulleys and those 5-7 markers in that. You'll either absolutely hate it or love it.

For SUVAT, they can be quite hard at the start but once you know them, you'll love them. I think the key is the word 'at rest' in questions which means either u or v=0.

Anyways, Keep on practicing!
Reply 24
This year, I am in Y12, and the exam board is Edexcel. Is there any good internet or YouTube channels for revising A-level maths? i want to practice more on the subjects that i learned so far. thx
Original post by yoshinoya
This year, I am in Y12, and the exam board is Edexcel. Is there any good internet or YouTube channels for revising A-level maths? i want to practice more on the subjects that i learned so far. thx

Bicen math YouTube channel is really good, also TL math too!

Hope it helps.
Reply 26
i’m currently in yr12 taking a level maths - after an end of topic test & finding out i was on the verge of a fail i feel like i’ve lost a lot of confidence in maths. does anyone have any tips on how to improve? any good methods for revising, getting used to the content etc..? rlly need to get my grade up as i have no other subjects to switch maths with !!!
Reply 27
Original post by j3llyf1sh
i’m currently in yr12 taking a level maths - after an end of topic test & finding out i was on the verge of a fail i feel like i’ve lost a lot of confidence in maths. does anyone have any tips on how to improve? any good methods for revising, getting used to the content etc..? rlly need to get my grade up as i have no other subjects to switch maths with !!!

My revision technique for maths tends to be using past papers. If you are struggling with the questions, what I sometimes do is use the textbook alongside it to remind myself of how to approach the question. Hope this helps!
Reply 28
Original post by Izzy-06
My revision technique for maths tends to be using past papers. If you are struggling with the questions, what I sometimes do is use the textbook alongside it to remind myself of how to approach the question. Hope this helps!

thank you !! will definitely try this. do you know any good resources with past paper questions for specific topics ? (can’t rlly do an entire past paper as we’ve only done a bit of the content so far!!))
Reply 29
Original post by j3llyf1sh

thank you !! will definitely try this. do you know any good resources with past paper questions for specific topics ? (can’t rlly do an entire past paper as we’ve only done a bit of the content so far!!))

Physics and maths tutor is a good resource! Feel free to message me if you want any help with something you’re stuck on! Hopefully I’d be able to help as I take further maths 😂
Reply 30
Original post by staticsocks

I recommend working through SMC papers/Andrew Jobbings Senior Kangaroo papers in order to boost your problem solving skills. They do not focus too heavily on A-Level content but rather problem solving skills and smart/quick ways to reach solutions to tough problems which could be a handy skill when it comes to A-Level exams!

You could also work through BMO1/BMO2 papers if you really want to but they're quite challenging so starting off with SMC/Kangaroo papers would be more suitable. :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 31
Original post by study23!
Hi I'm study23! I've just started year 12!

My exam board is WJEC.
I really enjoy algebra, and the really long questions in exams where you have to do loads of steps to get the answers, I find those really fun to figure out!
Probability tended to confuse me in GCSE so I need to get better at this.

Does anyone have any tips for further reading/work experience? Or Maths competitions?

Also if anyone has got any tips that'd be appreciated 😁

Hi I'm Bridget, I enjoy maths Competitions
Reply 32
Original post by biologyfruit
I'm in year 13 now. Haven't gone back to school yet though so I'm not sure what to think of year 13 content. I do AQA. The area I most enjoy is definitely statistics! I know most people usually don't like it but I think its fun and so I easily get 90% minimum for the stats part of exams. The area I hate though is definitely mechanics!!!! It's too much physics vibe for me and I can easily get 0% in exams- this is not an exaggeration. Pure maths is alright. definitely doable. but u need to put the work in, which i didnt :frown:
here are my honest ratings for each section:
pure: 6.8/10
stats: 10/10
mechanics: 1/10
all of this is my opinion on year 12 content only though!! I heard it gets much harder in year 13

Hi!!
I’m in year 12!! Do you think you can help me understand standard deviation (chapter 2 of the edexcel stats book)?
Reply 33
Original post by MishMohan
Original post by biologyfruit
I'm in year 13 now. Haven't gone back to school yet though so I'm not sure what to think of year 13 content. I do AQA. The area I most enjoy is definitely statistics! I know most people usually don't like it but I think its fun and so I easily get 90% minimum for the stats part of exams. The area I hate though is definitely mechanics!!!! It's too much physics vibe for me and I can easily get 0% in exams- this is not an exaggeration. Pure maths is alright. definitely doable. but u need to put the work in, which i didnt :frown:
here are my honest ratings for each section:
pure: 6.8/10
stats: 10/10
mechanics: 1/10
all of this is my opinion on year 12 content only though!! I heard it gets much harder in year 13

Hi!!
I’m in year 12!! Do you think you can help me understand standard deviation (chapter 2 of the edexcel stats book)?

Hi! I currently take the edexcel maths and further maths a level course. Feel free to message me if you need any help!
Original post by MishMohan
Hi!!

hey, I don't do Edexcel, I do AQA so i think @Izzy-06 would be better help :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Pwca

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Ok
Hello Maths students! :yeah: Just dropping in to let you know we have a new project launching next week to help you with your revision. TSR Study Together - STEM vs Humanities! It's going to be a fun and social way to stay on track and you can find out how it works here. Come along and help rep STEM! :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by Pwca

Hi, my name's Ron. I am preparing for A levels happening in May. The board is CIE and speaking of what I do or don't like about the subject is that learning basics in sourcebook and practicing question in them is really a piece of cake. But, when doing past papers, I am screwed. I need some good help and tips for any question regarding this subject
Original post by ron2007
Hi, my name's Ron. I am preparing for A levels happening in May. The board is CIE and speaking of what I do or don't like about the subject is that learning basics in sourcebook and practicing question in them is really a piece of cake. But, when doing past papers, I am screwed. I need some good help and tips for any question regarding this subject
hi there!
just practice as many exam-style questions as you can, and if you get stuck on difficult concepts such as differentiation, then look up several youtube videos which might help (I would recommend the GCSE Maths Tutor and Bicen Maths!). Other useful resources include MathsGenie and StudyMind.
Original post by Pwca

Edexcel, I love solving problems and finding solutions, I don't like stats

Quick Reply

Latest