The Student Room Group

Rearranging Uni Room

'Alter, modify, decorate, add to or in any way interfere with the structure of the Room, the Flat, the Contents or the Building'

May sound stupid but does that mean I can't move the bed around in my room?
Original post by Anonymous
'Alter, modify, decorate, add to or in any way interfere with the structure of the Room, the Flat, the Contents or the Building'

Well, reading what they've written literally, I'd say no - you can't. However, what they've written is stupid. :smile:

Would you be allowed to move the chair? Or would that count as interfering with the contents? What if I walked into the room and thereby interfered with the air contained within the room? Have I interfered with the contents?

I therefore think we need to apply some common sense here. If the bed is moveable (and isn't fixed to the walls, as many are) and if you can move it without it obstructing anything or causing any kind of issue, then I'd say you'll probably be fine.

Hey there!

I think they're trying to just cover all bases to be honest so they can attempt to get money off people at the end of their tenancy. If your bed is say built into the wall, then I don't think you can unscrew it and screw it back in somewhere else. If you wanted to just move your bed I say do it. If you have room inspections, they have to legally give you 24 hours notice before entering the property so you can just move it back when that happens if you're worried about what they might say. I really don't think you'll end up with your full deposit gone if you move your bed, surely not. That is what they're trying to say but really what can they do if you move a table or something like that. I'd recommend taking photos of everything before you move your stuff in so if they do try and say anything at the end you can show them the photos and prove what condition things were in before you got there.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Read the docs for the uni

Usually you can rearrange the room(move bed) so long as you move back when you leave

Sometimes you can swap furniture out (return their bed and replace with yours) so long as you let them know - they will then take bed back and remove from list of articles to be there / checked when you move out

Regarding what you’ve posted, that’s more usually taken to mean “don’t put up posters, don’t paint the walls, don’t hang pictures, don’t knock down the wall to your en-suite” I.e. things that will damage the structure or decoration of the room…. Ie things they will have to repair or make good when you move out

In pretty much all the uni rooms I've had the beds have been fixed due to under bed storage :smile:
Also you might find there isn't much space to move it to due to other components e.g. desk being fixed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending