The Student Room Group

Thinking about dropping out… advice?

I’m about 1 month into my uni and I’m really regretting my decision of uni. I chose to stay in my home city which is one of the main reasons I’m not enjoying my time; I feel like I’m not getting the true uni experience and I feel like it’s hard to make friends as I’m barely actually at the uni (only for my lectures). As well as this, I’m not enjoying the subject, I feel like it’s a repeat of the a-level subject I did so I’m not engaging in it. I’m really interested in going to UEA next year and dropping out of my current uni. In order to do so, id had to retake my alevels to get higher results… is this possible?? How do I go about doing all of this? Any advice would be super helpful! :smile:
Talk to UEA - see if they’ll accept year 1 of your current university as a supplement to your A levels for yr 1 entry. That will be less bother than dropping out and resitting if you think you’re able to pass the year (retaking A levels wouldn’t make any difference to your current situation for this year).

Also look around to see if anyone is looking for replacement tenants for their room. Just because you’re in your home town doesn’t mean you can’t move into halls and where people look for replacement tenants often they’ll cover the rent for the first term which makes the rent a bargain.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Talk to UEA - see if they’ll accept year 1 of your current university as a supplement to your A levels for yr 1 entry. That will be less bother than dropping out and resitting if you think you’re able to pass the year (retaking A levels wouldn’t make any difference to your current situation for this year).

Also look around to see if anyone is looking for replacement tenants for their room. Just because you’re in your home town doesn’t mean you can’t move into halls and where people look for replacement tenants often they’ll cover the rent for the first term which makes the rent a bargain.

Thank you so much!!! I didn’t think of ringing the uni, thank you
Original post by Isobelwollage
I’m about 1 month into my uni and I’m really regretting my decision of uni. I chose to stay in my home city which is one of the main reasons I’m not enjoying my time; I feel like I’m not getting the true uni experience and I feel like it’s hard to make friends as I’m barely actually at the uni (only for my lectures). As well as this, I’m not enjoying the subject, I feel like it’s a repeat of the a-level subject I did so I’m not engaging in it. I’m really interested in going to UEA next year and dropping out of my current uni. In order to do so, id had to retake my alevels to get higher results… is this possible?? How do I go about doing all of this? Any advice would be super helpful! :smile:

Hey there @Isobelwollage !

Your best bet is to chat to an expert in this situation. Try making an appointment with your careers advisor at university and see what they recommend in this situation. It's important not to make any rash decisions, just as much as it is important to not stay in a situation you're not happy with. If you're not enjoying the subject first and foremost then it's not worth staying on your course. However, it's important not to jump the gun on this. Is it just the particular modules you're doing at the moment that you aren't enjoying? Could there be more fun content later in the year that you haven't got to yet?

My advice is that you're at the point of the year where you're going to have to pay for this year regardless. You've already got the student finance fees for this year. With that in mind, you could either finish the year and give next semester's modules a go. You could try and sit with new people on your course and try reaching out to a new friendship group that way to give it one last go. Or you could just drop out. If you're not happy, there isn't much point staying when you'd clearly rather be doing something else and it sounds like you already have a plan in mind.

I believe as far as I'm aware, you have to pay to retake your A Levels. You could drop out now and immediately start working to save up money to resit them. You can do them in person or online but my advice is to sort this sooner rather than later so that you can get it out the way. Sometimes if you leave it for too long, course syllabus' get harder and the content changes and then you really will be back to square one. I'd recommend either getting in touch with your sixth form college to rearrange a resit or looking to apply online. It seems like you already have a plan set out so don't wait too long to put it in motion.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
On a note regarding the subject; often first year (and much more specifically first term) will re-cover the A-level material to some extent to ensure everyone is on the same footing since even if students have in principle the same grades in the same A-level subject, they might have had different strengths of teaching in different topics and have quite varied experiences as a result. So often first year/term (mostly concentrated to first term but some times other bits will crop up across the year) will feel more similar to the A-level with even the same material being repeated.

Usually from second term onwards and certainly in second year things gear up a lot more as everyone is expected to be on the same level grounding and they will start building up new material very rapidly. So something to keep in mind - maybe see if you can ask some of the second and third year students in your department how they found that in particular.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending