The Student Room Group

Resit A level while in uni, what should I put in my UCAS Application

I already decided to resit my A-level exam next year while I am in uni (my previous college accepted me as an external candidate), as this year I didn't get the result I needed and lost both of my offers (get into my current uni through clearing), so I am going to reapply for uni through UCAS again. Does anyone know if I need to put my current uni in my application? Or can I just leave it out? ( I am planning to send in my UCAS application in late September, so it feels like it is meaningless to put it in my application as 1st year of uni doesn't give me a certificate and it is not a qualification)
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by batman2234
I already decided to resit my A-level exam next year while I am in uni (my previous college accepted me as an external candidate), as this year I didn't get the result I needed and lost both of my offers (get into my current uni through clearing), so I am going to reapply for uni through UCAS again. Does anyone know if I need to put my current uni in my application? Or can I just leave it out? ( I am planning to send in my UCAS application in late September, so it feels like it is meaningless to put it in my application as 1st year of uni doesn't give me a certificate and it is not a qualification)

Yes, you must.
If you're planning on reapplying anyway, why are you going to uni this year? You will use up a year of student loan funding meaning that if you have to repeat a year, you will be out of luck.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by vapordave
Yes, you must.
If you're planning on reapplying anyway, why are you going to uni this year? You will use up a year of student loan funding meaning that if you have to repeat a year, you will be out of luck.

I have discussed this with my teacher and my parent, and I think it is not a bad idea for me to experience "uni" life. Also, because the course I applied for uni is History, I will be able to learn new essay skills, which I think will benefit my resit next year.

Also, I have one more question. In my situation where I put my uni in my application, would it affect me to get a new offer from another uni?
(edited 7 months ago)
1st year of university does give you a qualification.

If you look at the top of the applications, clearing and ucas forum there’s a stickied thread called University Transfer FAQ. There’s a link in there explaining how to list your university study on UCAS. Universities will always eventually find out about previous university studies although it can take as long as the start of yr 2 for any lies to be uncovered. It’s not a good idea to lie. I know of at least one student who was withdrawn from year 2 of their degree when previous study was revealed that hadn’t been declared on UCAS.

Applying in September before you have properly started your current degree to start elsewhere isn’t particularly appealing to the universities you’re applying to. Why are you applying so early? And why start a degree that you don’t intend to stay on beyond a year?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
1st year of university does give you a qualification.

If you look at the top of the applications, clearing and ucas forum there’s a stickied thread called University Transfer FAQ. There’s a link in there explaining how to list your university study on UCAS. Universities will always eventually find out about previous university studies although it can take as long as the start of yr 2 for any lies to be uncovered. It’s not a good idea to lie. I know of at least one student who was withdrawn from year 2 of their degree when previous study was revealed that hadn’t been declared on UCAS.

Applying in September before you have properly started your current degree to start elsewhere isn’t particularly appealing to the universities you’re applying to. Why are you applying so early? And why start a degree that you don’t intend to stay on beyond a year?

My clearing choice is not the university I want to go to, but I still believe I can learn something new from it. Reson why I applied early, I got an offer from UCL, but I didn't get the grade I needed, and for this year, I still want to apply to those top universities, so I think it better to send in my application early, which is what I did last year.
(edited 7 months ago)
My clearing choice is not the university I want to go to, but I still believe I can learn something new from it. Reson why I applied early, I got an offer from UCL, but I didn't get the grade I needed, and for this year, I still want to apply to those top universities, so I think it better to send in my application early, which is what I did last year

If you’re starting a degree at another university then it’s a terrible idea to apply elsewhere within a few weeks of that course starting.

The deadline for UCL history is the end of January - you shouldn’t be submitting your application until after Christmas. Unless you want to demonstrate to UCL that you’re willing to mess around with another university by starting a course that you don’t intend to finish.

By waiting you also have the possibility of getting your current university to provide your reference (which is preferred by many universities) and you might have semester 1 results from your current degree to add in your education section.

Early applications aren’t preferred in any way over those submitted just before the deadline. Particularly when they demonstrate a lack of commitment to a current course.
See the University Transfer FAQ. There’s a link to Oxford’s policy on applying while studying at another university.

Oxford doesn’t accept applications from students at other universities without a reference from the current university and excellent year 1 results. If you want to reapply to Oxford then you mustn’t start a degree elsewhere (or you need to plan to take a gap year after completing year 1 at your current university in order to reapply during that year).
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
See the University Transfer FAQ. There’s a link to Oxford’s policy on applying while studying at another university.

Oxford doesn’t accept applications from students at other universities without a reference from the current university and excellent year 1 results. If you want to reapply to Oxford then you mustn’t start a degree elsewhere (or you need to plan to take a gap year after completing year 1 at your current university in order to reapply during that year).

Thank you very much for your help
Reply 8

Hey! Im thinking about doing exactly the same. Resitting A-level maths while going to uni and will reapply for 1st year entry at another uni. Good luck! Please let me if there is anything useful that you find out about the application procces, I will be doing the same.

Quick Reply

Latest