The Student Room Group

question about the oaks accommodation warwick

I'm interested in booking an ensuite room but I have a few doubts. I called up today and asked some questions - they said that they usually try to put first years together and that 60% of the people staying there are international students.

I don't have an issue with this but my brother stayed in a private hall for his 2nd year and said that he saw a lot of flats where international students were really close, spoke in their native language exclusively, and didn't make any effort to talk to any of the home students. He also said that I might end up in a flat where people don't really want to talk to me or that my flatmates may have booked a private hall because their main focus are their studies and are not interested in making friends.

What he said makes me really nervous because I am now worried that I will make no friends if I book there, but I also don't know how much he really knows about this and if this was just a unique experience from where his uni was.

Obviously every year and every group of people are different, but anyone who has been to the oaks in their first year, have you had this experience or was making friends somewhat easy?
Reply 1
One of my friends stayed in the The Oaks last year and I don't think he was particularly close with his flat mates or really talked to them. But he wasn't a first year, I think first years sharing a flat tend to have more reason to get to know their flat mates as they won't really have made any friends yet, whilst higher year students will already likely have an established group of friends. I'm curious why you are staying in The Oaks rather than on campus though?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm interested in booking an ensuite room but I have a few doubts. I called up today and asked some questions - they said that they usually try to put first years together and that 60% of the people staying there are international students.

I don't have an issue with this but my brother stayed in a private hall for his 2nd year and said that he saw a lot of flats where international students were really close, spoke in their native language exclusively, and didn't make any effort to talk to any of the home students. He also said that I might end up in a flat where people don't really want to talk to me or that my flatmates may have booked a private hall because their main focus are their studies and are not interested in making friends.

What he said makes me really nervous because I am now worried that I will make no friends if I book there, but I also don't know how much he really knows about this and if this was just a unique experience from where his uni was.

Obviously every year and every group of people are different, but anyone who has been to the oaks in their first year, have you had this experience or was making friends somewhat easy?

Hello, I booked an ensuite value thinking that I would be able to cancel my warwick accomodation but I wasn't able to and the oaks told me I could not cancel unless I find a replacement. if you are willing to be my replacement then please reply to this. I will allow replacement if you are not willing to pay the deposit.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Hello, I am looking for someone to replace an ensuite value from the oaks with as I can’t cancel the warwick accom and oaks as I applied for oaks as I thought warwick offer will be cancelled. Contact me if you are interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending