The Student Room Group

Parents making us go up by train when I move to uni

We have a car, but they don’t drive “long distances” (any more than 2 hrs away) and I’m going to uni 4 hrs away. We are having my belongings sent to the accomodation as we can’t take it up, however the thought of going up by train is making me anxious. I feel like everyone else is being driven and it gives more of a sense that you’re properly moving out not just travelling to a city for a holiday. Getting trains feels stressful and I’m unsettled to not arrive by car. They made the excuse that international students and those without a car have to get public transport but I’ve made the point that I’m in neither of those categories. Is it normal to move to uni by train?
Reply 1
Some people do move into university via public transport but it is certainly not the norm, and is predominantly international students. It really limits what you can take and long story short is a massive pain. I don't see any reason why someone who owns a car would not use it for moving in, and tbh I would recommend anyone who doesn't own a car to hire one for the day for moving.
Original post by nerual16
We have a car, but they don’t drive “long distances” (any more than 2 hrs away) and I’m going to uni 4 hrs away. We are having my belongings sent to the accomodation as we can’t take it up, however the thought of going up by train is making me anxious. I feel like everyone else is being driven and it gives more of a sense that you’re properly moving out not just travelling to a city for a holiday. Getting trains feels stressful and I’m unsettled to not arrive by car. They made the excuse that international students and those without a car have to get public transport but I’ve made the point that I’m in neither of those categories. Is it normal to move to uni by train?

Hey,

I personally didn't, but a few of my flatmates in my first year moved to uni by train and it was probably a lot easier for them! They had less stress with unpacking as well (as people who come by car usually have an allotted time to unload their belongings)! I understand it may feel unsettling, but will also help you get familiar with the journey to/from home for when you want to go back for a weekend/Christmas, as well as help to familiarise yourself with the city!

Whilst I can see why you're stressed, remember there is definitely still some positives! As long as you're prepared before you leave for being there on time .etc, once you're on the train it should be easy going from there as you won't have to worry about traffic/navigating the uni by car/rushing to unload! :smile:

Best of luck with everything!!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 7 months ago)
Yh it's normal for lots. Waving goodbye at a station and then having a train journey to reflect and have a bridge between leaving home and arriving is actually a really lovely way of going to uni (my sister went to uni for the first time by train and met up with a couple of other students in the train, and they stayed friends and now share accommodation!)
Kinda yeah. Esp if you aren't having to haul your luggage.

If a driver says they aren't comfortable making a specifically long drive you need to respect that. Remember they would have a full 8 hour round trip, it's a lot to ask when it's not needed
Reply 5
Yes, I went to uni by train and the SU had a stand at the station to welcome students that arrived that way and to provide a minibus shuttle to accommodation. Uni is full of new experiences that cause some anxiety and public transport tends to be a big part of uni life. Go with it and make it part of the adventure
Original post by Zebedi1
Some people do move into university via public transport but it is certainly not the norm, and is predominantly international students. It really limits what you can take and long story short is a massive pain. I don't see any reason why someone who owns a car would not use it for moving in, and tbh I would recommend anyone who doesn't own a car to hire one for the day for moving.

OP doesn't have a car and isnt having to bring their luggage
I’ve seen a lot of this on here lately, people so scared and anxious about taking the train, but why?? It’s a completely normal and common form of transport and lots of people travel to uni by train. The mode of transport you use has nothing to do with whether you feel settled, that’ll come from actually living in your uni accommodation and how you interact with others, not whether you arrived there by train, car or e-scooter. And an 8 hour round trip is crazy, plus helping you move stuff into your room and so on ends up being closer to 10 hours, which might require your parents to stay overnight. Just relax and breathe, the train is a very pleasant and convenient way to travel.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
I’ve seen a lot of this on here lately, people so scared and anxious about taking the train, but why?? It’s a completely normal and common form of transport and lots of people travel to uni by train. The mode of transport you use has nothing to do with whether you feel settled, that’ll come from actually living in your uni accommodation and how you interact with others, not whether you arrived there by train, car or e-scooter. And an 8 hour round trip is crazy, plus helping you move stuff into your room and so on ends up being closer to 10 hours, which might require your parents to stay overnight. Just relax and breathe, the train is a very pleasant and convenient way to travel.

my parents are actually staying at a hotel for a few days when I move in, so not really an 8 hour round trip. Idk I just find it strange when the only other people moving for the first time by public transport are international students. You only move to uni once
my parents are actually staying at a hotel for a few days when I move in, so not really an 8 hour round trip. Idk I just find it strange when the only other people moving for the first time by public transport are international students. You only move to uni once

Yes, I do concede that most home students are taken up by their parents the first time at least but not much that can be done now if your parents’ decision to not go by car is final. The actual trip there is not particularly important or special, you’re still going to have the experience of moving into accommodation and meeting people either way, that’s completely unaffected by how you get there.
(edited 7 months ago)

Could they get a B&B so they are only driving one way at a time? Most parents like to see where their child is living ... my parents used to make a weekend of it.

They'd still gave to drive home so it's an 8 hour round trip.

I think you're simply mistaken about everyone getting driven there, students travel all sorts of ways and can move out for uni several times if they want.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to see that this is causing you stress. I moved to uni alone by public transport from a 3-hour train away and it was not easy, very stressful and quite lonely. However, if you're not travelling alone and your things are being transported separately, then I think that it will be fine.

All the best with moving

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending