The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Attending Durham University, but staying in Newcastle. Possible?

Hi guys, I'm a student currently doing INTO Physical Sciences and Engineering at INTO Newcastle University and I'm from Malaysia. I'm planning to apply for Physics degree at Durham next year. Last weekend I went to visit Durham, and found out that I would rather stay at Newcastle for some reasons. I'm applying to Durham to attend a better uni for Physics (not saying that Newcastle isn't good, but Durham is well known for its Physics education).

With that being said I was thinking if it's possible to do that? When I asked my friends the same question I got mixed reactions, some said it's totally normal to do that (like there are students staying in Sunderland but studying at Northumbria etc) and while some were giving me the "What?!" reaction.

So I need some advices to make it work, or any experiences regarding this. What's the most convenient way to make it happen? Say, is there any annual pass for train from Newcastle to Durham? Is there any bus from Durham railway station to the uni (since it's quite far for a walk)? I need to know those kinds of things. Thank you!!
Possible yes, it's about an hour on the train and plenty of people commute much further / longer than that every day for work. The sunderland to newcastle thing is a little cheaper but it probably takes about the same time.

It means you get a good excuse to enjoy both cities too which is fun.

If the travel time start to get to you simply look for a place in Durham.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
It's more like 15 mins on the train... Totally feasible! Although I don't know about the schedule/ticket prices unfortunately
Original post by techstudent
Possible yes, it's about an hour on the train

Bloody hell what trains are you going on from Durham to Newcastle lol, it's about 20 minutes at the very most..
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Bloody hell what trains are you going on from Durham to Newcastle lol, it's about 20 minutes at the very most..

Haha, I was including the time you'd take to get to durham uni from durham station. and adding another 5 mins for the newcastle side.
Original post by asdfgqwe
It's more like 15 mins on the train... Totally feasible! Although I don't know about the schedule/ticket prices unfortunately

15 mins on the train to get to the other side of Durham from the university. it's at least 30 mins walk from there.
Original post by techstudent
Haha, I was including the time you'd take to get to durham uni from durham station. and adding another 5 mins for the newcastle side.

Oh, I see. I was gonna say :biggrin:
Durham really expect all first years to stay in college, so you would need to ask the directly about this
Assuming you have reason to live in Newcastle (parents/guardians live in Newcastle for example, or maybe you REALLY need to be near some hospital for a medical reason, etc)

You MUST apply to St. Cuthbert's Society, as they are the only college that allows you to live with your parents. While you could take the train everyday, you realistically would drive. The train station isn't super-close to the academic buildings.
No it's not a good idea. My class mate she lives in Newcastle and she struggles to commute. Not only is it expensive, but the train times are awful.

What if you attend a ball or an event? You'll need a taxi to Newcastle after the trains stop at 11pm or so.

But you can try and move f it doesn't work out. Otherwise just move and spend weekends in Newcastle
Original post by username2450539
Hi guys, I'm a student currently doing INTO Physical Sciences and Engineering at INTO Newcastle University and I'm from Malaysia. I'm planning to apply for Physics degree at Durham next year. Last weekend I went to visit Durham, and found out that I would rather stay at Newcastle for some reasons. I'm applying to Durham to attend a better uni for Physics (not saying that Newcastle isn't good, but Durham is well known for its Physics education).

With that being said I was thinking if it's possible to do that? When I asked my friends the same question I got mixed reactions, some said it's totally normal to do that (like there are students staying in Sunderland but studying at Northumbria etc) and while some were giving me the "What?!" reaction.

So I need some advices to make it work, or any experiences regarding this. What's the most convenient way to make it happen? Say, is there any annual pass for train from Newcastle to Durham? Is there any bus from Durham railway station to the uni (since it's quite far for a walk)? I need to know those kinds of things. Thank you!!

Hi, what did you end up doing in the end? I’ve applied to Durham and would like to live in Newcastle. Thanks
I am about to come to Durham University for Msc. This year. However, Durham accommodations are pretty expensive and I am getting way cheaper alternative in Newcastle, but one question which arises in my mind is that, is it easy to commute daily from Newcastle to Durham and I'd yes how long will it take and what are the train and bus ticket costs associated?
Original post by Anonymous
I am about to come to Durham University for Msc. This year. However, Durham accommodations are pretty expensive and I am getting way cheaper alternative in Newcastle, but one question which arises in my mind is that, is it easy to commute daily from Newcastle to Durham and I'd yes how long will it take and what are the train and bus ticket costs associated?

Hi there

You don't have to live in campus accommodation. Private shared houses in Durham are much cheaper so I'd say it's better to consider that instead of Newcastle. By train, Durham is about 15 minutes from Newcastle and about £3.5 one way if you don't have a railcard. But sometimes the trains may not be on time and you could get late for a lecture. From the railway station, the North Road bus stands are 5 minutes away and that's where you can catch bus number 6 or X12 (Arriva) which will take you to the science site. Bus tickets are £1 each and allow you to travel anywhere within a certain radius every day. To avail of this, you just have to ask for a student ticket on the bus and show your campus card. Again, buses can be really irregular so I wouldn't depend on them every day.

If you need further info about finding private accommodation in Durham, let me know and I can share some resources that will help you :smile:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Hi! I’m searching for accommodation for academic year 2022/23. I’m moving to UK on 24 Sep 22 and i found accommodation is almost fulled now. May need your help!You can contact me via message (MOD EDIT - EMAIL REMOVED)
Original post by NatnichaSris
Hi! I’m searching for accommodation for academic year 2022/23. I’m moving to UK on 24 Sep 22 and i found accommodation is almost fulled now. May need your help!You can contact me via message (MOD EDIT - EMAIL REMOVED)

Hiya

Here are some resources you can use:

1. Sturents- https://sturents.com/
2. Spareroom- https://www.spareroom.co.uk/
3. Facebook group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/162824307101648
4. Amber stduent- https://amberstudent.com/places/search/durham-1811025628640
5. Student accoms like Ernest Place, St Giles Studios, Student Castle, The Village @Viaduct, Chapel Heights, Duresme Court, Unite Students etc

-Himieka
Hey!
I hope y'all are doing great.
Pursuing this thread's concern, I am in the same dilemma - Durham University Incoming International student Sept 2023 but accommodation in Newcastle. I wanted to have clarity, about whether the back-and-forth travel via train is feasible or not. Since the people here must've already gone through it by now, your input/suggestion/experience will be much appreciated.

Also, if the student-friendly train expenditure is shared by someone or the tips to avail a cheap travel cost, it will be most useful.
Looking forward to your replies :smile:
Thank you
Original post by sluthra
Hey!
I hope y'all are doing great.
Pursuing this thread's concern, I am in the same dilemma - Durham University Incoming International student Sept 2023 but accommodation in Newcastle. I wanted to have clarity, about whether the back-and-forth travel via train is feasible or not. Since the people here must've already gone through it by now, your input/suggestion/experience will be much appreciated.

Also, if the student-friendly train expenditure is shared by someone or the tips to avail a cheap travel cost, it will be most useful.
Looking forward to your replies :smile:
Thank you

Hi there

I think for an undergraduate degree, it wouldn't be very realistic to live in Newcastle. It is only 15 mins away from Durham by train which costs about £7 for a round-trip (even lesser if you have a railcard), but the trains can be irregular + difficult to rely on because of frequent strikes these days. It's unpredictable what the state of rail strikes in going to be so it could very well be that you can't find a train or it gets cancelled. This might be a more feasible option though if you're studying a PG course since you have less contact hours and thus there is a reduced need to travel to Durham. You can also take the bus which costs about £1 on Arriva and £2.50 on Go North East carriers.

For my first month in Durham, I lived in Ushaw Moor (about 15 mins by bus from the city centre) and found it extremely difficult to engage with the college life because all the events took place in the evening and I was too exhausted to then catch a bus again at night. It also meant that I had to wake up way early to get ready and catch the bus (which was sometimes super irregular and hence unreliable), which was a hassle especially for an early morning lecture. I certainly don't mean to dictate your decision but if I were in your position, I'd rather find a place in Durham. It's ultimately down to your priorities :smile:

Feel free to ask any further questions!

-Himieka
Please share private accommodations in Durham, also please enlighten the part time job availability in durham
Original post by Anonymous
Please share private accommodations in Durham, also please enlighten the part time job availability in durham

Hi there

I've recently answered both these questions on other threads, so please have a look at them!

Part-time jobs- https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7375959
Private accommodation- https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7375947

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest