The Student Room Group

Kicked Out Of Sixth Form, NEED URGENT ADVICE, East London UK

Hello, i am 16 Y.O. in year 12 and I've been kicked out of sixth form due to the fact that i was not able to complete probation. When I had joined this new sixth form, it had already been one month into the academic year and i was set on probation. Probation is practically when you are given a certain amount of time (which in my case was a month) to be able to catch up with the work, assignments, attendance ETC. I've missed out on a week's worth of teaching and now the textbook seems like pure gibberish when im trying to teach and educate myself. I do a B-TEC course in Business Management. I am absolutely lost and have no idea on what to do seeing as no sixth forms that are in close proximity are enrolling at this time of the year (its currently the 28/11/2023). Any sort of help on this would be incredibly appreciated, as things seem pretty hopeless to me at the moment, thank you so much for your time and if you have any, ANY type of advice please reply to this. May god bless you.❤
Original post by DieselDoom1
Hello, i am 16 Y.O. in year 12 and I've been kicked out of sixth form due to the fact that i was not able to complete probation. When I had joined this new sixth form, it had already been one month into the academic year and i was set on probation. Probation is practically when you are given a certain amount of time (which in my case was a month) to be able to catch up with the work, assignments, attendance ETC. I've missed out on a week's worth of teaching and now the textbook seems like pure gibberish when im trying to teach and educate myself. I do a B-TEC course in Business Management. I am absolutely lost and have no idea on what to do seeing as no sixth forms that are in close proximity are enrolling at this time of the year (its currently the 28/11/2023). Any sort of help on this would be incredibly appreciated, as things seem pretty hopeless to me at the moment, thank you so much for your time and if you have any, ANY type of advice please reply to this. May god bless you.❤

Why did you only join "this new sixth form" one month into the academic year, which caused this situation in the first place? What happened at your previous sixth form?

How have you "missed out on a week's worth of teaching"? Is this in addition to the one month you lost at the start of the academic year (due to joining this sixth form late)?

You say that "Probation is practically when you are given a certain amount of time ... to be able to catch up with the work, assignments, attendance ETC." How can you catch-up attendance? If you started with this sixth form on an attendance of minus one month, due to starting late, how can you ever get that number back to where it should be? Were you expected to make-up the time by attending on weekends, or in the evenings?

Or do you mean that you were given a target for attendance since starting (say, 95%) and didn't manage to reach that target? If so, why was that?

How many assignments did you need to catch-up on? How many did you manage to catch-up on?

Did the sixth form put any measures in place to help you catch up? Or were supposed to just handle this yourself?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Why did you only join "this new sixth form" one month into the academic year, which caused this situation in the first place? What happened at your previous sixth form?

How have you "missed out on a week's worth of teaching"? Is this in addition to the one month you lost at the start of the academic year (due to joining this sixth form late)?

You say that "Probation is practically when you are given a certain amount of time ... to be able to catch up with the work, assignments, attendance ETC." How can you catch-up attendance? If you started with this sixth form on an attendance of minus one month, due to starting late, how can you ever get that number back to where it should be? Were you expected to make-up the time by attending on weekends, or in the evenings?

Or do you mean that you were given a target for attendance since starting (say, 95%) and didn't manage to reach that target? If so, why was that?

How many assignments did you need to catch-up on? How many did you manage to catch-up on?

Did the sixth form put any measures in place to help you catch up? Or were supposed to just handle this yourself?

First of all, I want to say thank you for replying to my post.

I had joined this new sixth form one month into the academic year because at my previous one, there was a large problem concerning me and 3 other students who were older than me. They were saying threats and just being hostile and everytime i had tried to flag it up with the staff, they simply said ''we'll take a look into it'' and nothing changed. I had to decided with my parents to transfer to another sixth form instead of being sat in either the hospital or police station.

I have missed a week's worth of teaching because it has been a week since I've been kicked out. The first month, I was in education at a different sixth form but had moved due to the reason stated above.

When i said 'catch up' with attendance, I may have said it differently then you understood it but basically I meant u had to have the same average as everybody else. Yes, I was given a target attendance of 80 percent, you're right. The reason I wasn't able to catch up to the target attendance was because my sixth form was about an hour and a half away by public transport and was an absolute mission getting there and getting home everyday.

I had 11 assignments past due from before joining the sixth form, and an additional 6 when I was in it. I was able to complete and submit 12 of them (completing all the ones from before joining) yet I had 5 remaining.

The sixth form hadn't put any sort of measures to aid my probation and I was left to do it by myself.

thank you for for reading.
First of all, I want to say thank you for replying to my post.

I had joined this new sixth form one month into the academic year because at my previous one, there was a large problem concerning me and 3 other students who were older than me. They were saying threats and just being hostile and everytime i had tried to flag it up with the staff, they simply said ''we'll take a look into it'' and nothing changed. I had to decided with my parents to transfer to another sixth form instead of being sat in either the hospital or police station.

I have missed a week's worth of teaching because it has been a week since I've been kicked out. The first month, I was in education at a different sixth form but had moved due to the reason stated above.

When i said 'catch up' with attendance, I may have said it differently then you understood it but basically I meant u had to have the same average as everybody else. Yes, I was given a target attendance of 80 percent, you're right. The reason I wasn't able to catch up to the target attendance was because my sixth form was about an hour and a half away by public transport and was an absolute mission getting there and getting home everyday.

I had 11 assignments past due from before joining the sixth form, and an additional 6 when I was in it. I was able to complete and submit 12 of them (completing all the ones from before joining) yet I had 5 remaining.

The sixth form hadn't put any sort of measures to aid my probation and I was left to do it by myself.

thank you for for reading.

OK. Your reasons for switching sixth form sound very understandable. I assume you've had to switch course too, otherwise you'd have the "11 assignments past due from before joining the sixth form", because you'd have already produced them in your original sixth form. Have I got that right?

Presumably the fact that the sixth form you've just been asked to leave "was about an hour and a half away by public transport and was an absolute mission getting there and getting home everyday" meant that you weren't able to get there each day? Or weren't able to get there on time each day?

Given that the sixth form provided no help with regards to you catching-up, and left this entirely to you, it does seem a bit harsh to ask you to leave when you were clearly making good progress on the assignments.

Is this a done deal? There's no chance of them allowing you back in?

If no local sixth forms are enrolling, then the only other option I can think of is to study at home and enrol directly with an exam board as a "private candidate". This only works with qualifications which are exam-based rather than coursework-based (so A levels rather than BTECs, essentially). Is this something you've considered? It's not for everyone, as you need to be sufficiently focussed and self-motivated to actually study at home (rather than just watch TV or play video games!) and you also have to be comfortable with exam-based qualifications - e.g. A levels.

Failing that, you might need to take a gap year and join a local sixth form when they're next enrolling. :frown:

Hi! either i suggest going through sixth form next year or try and enrol in an apprenticeship course with GCSE qualifications. Check out multiverse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending