The Student Room Group

Universities getting rid of independent examiners?

I am going to uni soon and as I was looking for information online I found a post from a year ago saying the uni I go into through clearing (UoKC) has gotten rid of independent examiners and as such have devalued their degree. Is this still the case and should I be concerned about it? Should I try and go elsewhere/resit?
Thanks!

Edit: I want to do a postgrad at another uni, will this effect my chances of getting in?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Do you mean External Examiners? That would be very unusual...can you say what uni are we talking about here?
Reply 2
Kent (used to be Kent Canterbury)?

I don't think this is true.
Original post by smiggs
I am going to uni soon and as I was looking for information online I found a post from a year ago saying the uni I go into through clearing (UoKC) has gotten rid of independent examiners and as such have devalued their degree. Is this still the case and should I be concerned about it? Should I try and go elsewhere/resit?
Thanks!

Edit: I want to do a postgrad at another uni, will this effect my chances of getting in?

Hey!

As far as I'm aware, Kent still has external examiners; my coursework, moderation forms and exams were all sent off to external examiners & the exam board last year during my master's before I got my degree classification (I've just had a hunt through my emails and seen quite a few mentions of external examiners for various modules)! So no, don't be concerned about this; Kent is also still a decently ranked uni as well! :biggrin:

In terms of postgrad, I'm currently doing a PhD and have also done a master's so hopefully can offer some insight; for postgraduate study, universities are normally more interested in you, your academic capability (whether you meet the entry requirements; usually a 2:1/first) and research experience, rather than where you went to university! I also know others who have gone to lower ranked unis than Kent and been able to get on master's programmes at Kent and other much higher ranked unis! So honestly I wouldn't stress :smile:

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending