The Student Room Group

Resit Y13 at sixth form or resit as a private candidate at another college?

Any stories from any resitters and any advice on what to do if sitting externally
As someone who is doing re-takes this year, I like to frame it as if everything is going as planned. You really get to understand yourself and how you learn this year as you prepare for the examinations. You'll have a few days of exams and it'll be over. In terms of where you sit it, that's entirely up to you. I will be sitting them internally as it makes my life a little easier in terms of organisation but I may choose differently in a few months should my opinion on the matter change. If you feel uncomfortable re-taking them at your school, simply apply to a local college. Many people re-take exams so it's nothing to sweat about.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
How will you be able to change though?
Well I'll apply as a candidate in 2024, so that's a matter I'll think about then. It's just a matter of contacting my school/center and requesting to take the exam there, you'll have to pay a fee but that's about it.
Reply 4
Original post by quagmiretoilet
Well I'll apply as a candidate in 2024, so that's a matter I'll think about then. It's just a matter of contacting my school/center and requesting to take the exam there, you'll have to pay a fee but that's about it.

I mean my sixth doesnt allow private candidates so I'll have to look for a centre which does my exam board and if they don't i might have to just retake year 13 there tbh
Original post by delocalised34
I mean my sixth doesnt allow private candidates so I'll have to look for a centre which does my exam board and if they don't i might have to just retake year 13 there tbh

You may have to travel but most colleges that are state-run are not going to reject your request.
Reply 6
Are you talking about resitting the year, so teaching and exams; or just taking the exams again next year?

I get the impression that this conversation is about 2 different things !
Original post by GGIN
Are you talking about resitting the year, so teaching and exams; or just taking the exams again next year?

I get the impression that this conversation is about 2 different things !

I think you're dead on with that assessment, my bad.
Reply 8
I think you're dead on with that assessment, my bad.

I think the info youve given is really useful for part of the question as per the title which seems to be a pros and cons of the two options.

Am curious what are the pros and cons of doing it as a private candidate over resitting the year from your perspective ? Does it depend what the subjects are? Thinking practicals for science n stuff.

Also getting predicted grades seems a challenge if doing self study?

Sorry to jump on your thread OP!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by GGIN
I think the info youve given is really useful for part of the question as per the title which seems to be a pros and cons of the two options.

Am curious what are the pros and cons of doing it as a private candidate over resitting the year from your perspective ? Does it depend what the subjects are? Thinking practicals for science n stuff.

Also getting predicted grades seems a challenge if doing self study?

Sorry to jump on your thread OP!

In terms of the practical side of things, that is something that you will have to go and request for a bypass from your universities for. Essentially, let them know that you are taking particular A-levels that require a practical endorsement but for which you are applying as a private candidate.

The Pros for me were manifold, studying as a private candidate helps me hone my independent learning skills and discipline and also allows me to seek treatment for my mental health which I have neglected for several years. Also, I can take as many A-levels as I choose, I simply have to pay the entrance fee and sit the examination at a private institution. In terms of predicted grades, you can speak with your school to get their reference for your self-study, I spoke with my prior referee and they were more than willing to give me what I wanted for the two subjects I am planning to take independently. The predicted grade system is pretty flawed, students that get predicted lower can outperform their grades significantly because there isn't a rigorous or standardised method of acquiring them. As such, just have a down-to-earth conversation with your referee from a previous school, an academic tutor, or just a non-relative professional that can assess you and provide their details for UCAS to confirm your predicted grades.

Self-study changed my life, it opened my eyes to the mistakes I was making and allowed me to truly chase my passion. Nowadays my schedule is fluid, I jump between things I enjoy and end up studying far longer and with greater alacrity than I would have otherwise done in some college. Some of the greatest intellectuals of history were autodidacts (self-learned), Malcolm X, Avicenna, Averroes, Newton and many Greek thinkers come to mind.

If you have any more questions then feel free to drop them, more than willing to help!
Reply 10
In terms of the practical side of things, that is something that you will have to go and request for a bypass from your universities for. Essentially, let them know that you are taking particular A-levels that require a practical endorsement but for which you are applying as a private candidate.

The Pros for me were manifold, studying as a private candidate helps me hone my independent learning skills and discipline and also allows me to seek treatment for my mental health which I have neglected for several years. Also, I can take as many A-levels as I choose, I simply have to pay the entrance fee and sit the examination at a private institution. In terms of predicted grades, you can speak with your school to get their reference for your self-study, I spoke with my prior referee and they were more than willing to give me what I wanted for the two subjects I am planning to take independently. The predicted grade system is pretty flawed, students that get predicted lower can outperform their grades significantly because there isn't a rigorous or standardised method of acquiring them. As such, just have a down-to-earth conversation with your referee from a previous school, an academic tutor, or just a non-relative professional that can assess you and provide their details for UCAS to confirm your predicted grades.

Self-study changed my life, it opened my eyes to the mistakes I was making and allowed me to truly chase my passion. Nowadays my schedule is fluid, I jump between things I enjoy and end up studying far longer and with greater alacrity than I would have otherwise done in some college. Some of the greatest intellectuals of history were autodidacts (self-learned), Malcolm X, Avicenna, Averroes, Newton and many Greek thinkers come to mind.

If you have any more questions then feel free to drop them, more than willing to help!

Thats really interesting, thank you
Both tbh, not sure which one to do

Mental health is really something I need to work on so I was considering the private candidacy , but my exam board and spec for biology is so obscure that its hard to find resources or exam centres that do it . I even need a pre release article that is typically released to the school 3 months before the exam and it would be harder to obtain if I was a private candidate. I did psychology biology and chemistry and got CCD and I am waiting for a psychology remark so hopefully it becomes BCD . I am thinking of picking up AS Physics at my school since I am applying for a computer science foundation year and learning the maths would help a bit (And I am also dreading resitting an essay subject).
Original post by delocalised34
Any stories from any resitters and any advice on what to do if sitting externally

If privately, need to stop procrastination. use 1focus and stayfocusd to help with you that. I was a resitter. I'd say resit at a school that can give you support.

As someone who is doing re-takes this year, I like to frame it as if everything is going as planned. You really get to understand yourself and how you learn this year as you prepare for the examinations. You'll have a few days of exams and it'll be over. In terms of where you sit it, that's entirely up to you. I will be sitting them internally as it makes my life a little easier in terms of organisation but I may choose differently in a few months should my opinion on the matter change. If you feel uncomfortable re-taking them at your school, simply apply to a local college. Many people re-take exams so it's nothing to sweat about.

Yeah but it didn't exactly go to plan thjat year otherwise you wouldn't need to retake. Depending on how much to retake and what board (like edexcel IAL) you might need maany days to retake. And if self studying... it's hard.

For predicted grades one can simply use a tutor, and have them do the predicted grades.

Quick Reply

Latest