The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official Cambridge Postgraduate Applicants 2024 Thread

Scroll to see replies

hi all - I was waitlisted for an MPhil course last year and didn't end up securing a spot because all the existing offer holders accepted their offers. When asking for application feedback from my course's admissions team I was told that my application was "very good" and in summary, the logistics of a limited number of spots combined with an (unexpected) late flood of applicants was why I missed out on the 2023 intake.

I'm now in the process of reapplying for the 2024 intake however not sure whether to re-use/slightly polish my personal statement and research proposal from 2023 or re-write one (or both) from scratch? The waitlist period was quite lengthy and it did give me time to further reflect on exactly why I wanted to study at Cambridge so I was going to add that to my personal statement, however apart from that I'm flying a bit blind!

I do have some other ideas for alternate research proposals however have limited access to academic resources (libraries/journals) at the moment so can't explore them completely. I know that the research proposals aren't binding for the course so I'm not sure whether it's the subject matter or proposal structure that is more important for the admissions team (or it could be a possibility that this may vary course to course).

Anybody been on the re-application roller coaster and if so, any tips? :smile:

PS: Good luck everyone with their applications!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Anonymous
hi all - I was waitlisted for an MPhil course last year and didn't end up securing a spot because all the existing offer holders accepted their offers. When asking for application feedback from my course's admissions team I was told that my application was "very good" and in summary, the logistics of a limited number of spots combined with an (unexpected) late flood of applicants was why I missed out on the 2023 intake.

I'm now in the process of reapplying for the 2024 intake however not sure whether to re-use/slightly polish my personal statement and research proposal from 2023 or re-write one (or both) from scratch? The waitlist period was quite lengthy and it did give me time to further reflect on exactly why I wanted to study at Cambridge so I was going to add that to my personal statement, however apart from that I'm flying a bit blind!

I do have some other ideas for alternate research proposals however have limited access to academic resources (libraries/journals) at the moment so can't explore them completely. I know that the research proposals aren't binding for the course so I'm not sure whether it's the subject matter or proposal structure that is more important for the admissions team (or it could be a possibility that this may vary course to course).

Anybody been on the re-application roller coaster and if so, any tips? :smile:

PS: Good luck everyone with their applications!

If your course was strong enough to be waitlisted, i would slightly update and resubmit. Also try to submit early if the application is reviewed on a rolling basis. Good luck
Original post by Wired_1800
If your course was strong enough to be waitlisted, i would slightly update and resubmit. Also try to submit early if the application is reviewed on a rolling basis. Good luck

Will do - awesome - thankyou.
Reply 23
Anecdotally, don't put Trinity College and St John's on the same application. Allegedly they will both refuse if you put them both due to the rivalry between the colleges.

Highly recommend Selwyn as an alternative option. I'm at John's but I visited Selwyn with a friend recently and it was gorgeous and (I believe) guarantees first year postgrad accommodation. Dorms are newer, actual college is older/"classic" Cam.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by pelagic
Anecdotally, don't put Trinity College and St John's on the same application. Allegedly they will both refuse if you put them both due to the rivalry between the colleges.

Highly recommend Selwyn as an alternative option. I'm at John's but I visited Selwyn with a friend recently and it was gorgeous and (I believe) guarantees first year postgrad accommodation. Dorms are newer, actual college is older/"classic" Cam.

That's hilarious regarding the Trinity/St John's - reminds me of the rivalry between posh high schools!

Thankyou for the heads up - Selwyn is actually my first preference and Wolfson my second. I'm not a spring chicken, being in my late 30s and have been living out of home since 18 - so I have been going back and forth trying to decide whether to stick exclusively to mature colleges or bring Selwyn into the mix.
Highly recommend Wolfson for older (or any) postgrads. On-site accommodation for postgrads (including for couples) so you’re always close to facilities such as the dining hall, gym etc (this is quite rare for other colleges). No JCR/MCR split which leads to great culture and events. No 18 years old running around! Not that wealthy but most scholarships are directed towards postgrads due to the lower number of undergrads, and they do have provisions for funding throughout the year for research or overseas trips. Fantastic gardens and fairly large grounds. It does lack the gothic architecture but you get a good dose of that all through Cambridge!
Highly recommend Wolfson for older (or any) postgrads. On-site accommodation for postgrads (including for couples) so you’re always close to facilities such as the dining hall, gym etc (this is quite rare for other colleges). No JCR/MCR split which leads to great culture and events. No 18 years old running around! Not that wealthy but most scholarships are directed towards postgrads due to the lower number of undergrads, and they do have provisions for funding throughout the year for research or overseas trips. Fantastic gardens and fairly large grounds. It does lack the gothic architecture but you get a good dose of that all through Cambridge!

Great - thanks for the feedback. The community culture is definitely what I'm seeking, as well on-site accommodation/closeness to facilities. Corpus Christi/Leckhampton seems like a similar setup in that the MCR/postgrad community is bubbled away. I've got no problem living in dorm-like facilities although an en-suite room would be preferable, I guess it's similar to when I've had to live from hotels during much of my working life! :smile:

I'm drawn to Selwyn as it to have more of a community feel however I was a little concerned re: the age differential. I never got into Harry Potter (or TikTok, for that matter!), so the lack of gothic architecture and 18 year olds at Wolfson both suit me fine! :smile:
Yes, I believe Leckhampton also has a great postgrad community! They also have squash courts if you are into that…They are Wolfson’s neighbours. Most rooms have an ensuite in Wolfson and you can specifically apply for one. Alternatively there are standalone houses on site if you prefer a more traditional living situation (some have ensuites some have shared facilities) although these often go to couples/families.
Yes, I believe Leckhampton also has a great postgrad community! They also have squash courts if you are into that…They are Wolfson’s neighbours. Most rooms have an ensuite in Wolfson and you can specifically apply for one. Alternatively there are standalone houses on site if you prefer a more traditional living situation (some have ensuites some have shared facilities) although these often go to couples/families.

Also Trinity Hall and Jesus have decent PG communities. There are loads of excellent colleges other than Trinity, King’s and St John’s.
Original post by fedora34
You might not have one that you like, but do you have any that you definitely don't like? With an open application you run the risk of being put in one of those.

I can't say I chose my college because I thought "wow that's the only one for me". But there were quite a few which I was certain I wouldn't like, so I had to make a choice.

Colleges are certainly less important at PG level, but there are important variations which are worth considering. Some have more funding opportunities, either generally or for specific subjects. Some guarantee PG accommodation, either for all students or just for incoming students who haven't previously been at Cambridge - but many don't, so you may have to rent privately. Also think about how things like the college's proximity to your faculty, quality of food, number of summer tourists etc will affect you.

Google the Cambridge Alternative Prospectus - it's a great resource, written by students, and really useful for those judging colleges against those criteria.

Hi! What college would you reccomend for me as someone who's looking to gain admission into Masters architecture? I'm not from the UK so I have no way of knowing which I should pick
Original post by Tobytobias
Hi! What college would you reccomend for me as someone who's looking to gain admission into Masters architecture? I'm not from the UK so I have no way of knowing which I should pick

If you are looking for funding opportunities, you should apply to the colleges that will give you money. If you are flexible, i would suggest that you apply to Pembroke and Selwyn. Good luck
(edited 7 months ago)
If you are looking for funding opportunities, you should apply to the colleges that will give you money. If you are flexible, i would suggest that you apply to Pembroke and Selwyn. Good luck

Thanks, I'm definitely seeking funding. I've chosen Trinity and King's college, I heard they give full or partial funds. I hope they accept me
Thanks, I'm definitely seeking funding. I've chosen Trinity and King's college, I heard they give full or partial funds. I hope they accept me

Alright. Good luck
Reply 33

Have you actually applied to those yet, or just settled on those choices before applying? I kind of don't want to write this because if you have already applied, I don't want to make you disheartened or worried - chances are it'll all be fine.

But if you haven't already applied, I would strongly discourage you from applying to both Trinity and King's. One is absolutely fine, but it is generally not recommended to apply to two of the "big three" (King's, Trinity, St John's). There's a few reasons for this but principally it comes down to delays in acceptance and chances of rejection. Because they are all wealthy/famous/picturesque, lots and lots of people apply to them, and it can take quite a while for them to process your application.

Basically, at PG level it works as follows: You list a first and second preference for colleges during the application. Once (or if) you've been accepted onto your course, then your first choice college considers your application. If they reject you, then your application is passed to your second choice. If they also reject you, then your application gets passed sequentially to another three colleges with vacancies. You will get admitted to a college, but it might be one you never even considered.

Now the basic problem with applying to both Trinity and Kings is that, as I said, they get so many applications so the chances of rejection are higher. And because they get so many, they are notoriously slow in making a decision. Anecdotally, I know of people who applied to two of the big three and waited upwards of three months, only to find out that both colleges had rejected them. They then had to wait even longer for allocation to a different college, and they had no idea which colleges were considering them. This delay can then have knock-on effects for things like accommodation, consideration of college-specific funding and scholarships, etc. It is very much in your interest to be accepted to a college as soon as possible.

With that in mind, I would really suggest applying to either Trinity or King's, plus another. If you want a large postgrad community then think about Jesus or Caius; if you want more modern facilities then maybe look at somewhere like Wolfson. Just spend a bit of time thinking about which college best matches your living preferences. And all colleges offer some kind of postgrad funding opportunities, and funding certainly isn't guaranteed at the big three.

But look, please don't be worried if you have already applied - you may absolutely get into either of them, in which case there's no issue. And if you get accepted onto the course then you will get into a college, even if it's not one of your preferences. And every college is great in its own way, so in some senses it doesn't matter a great deal, especially at PG level.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by fedora34
Have you actually applied to those yet, or just settled on those choices before applying? I kind of don't want to write this because if you have already applied, I don't want to make you disheartened or worried - chances are it'll all be fine.

But if you haven't already applied, I would strongly discourage you from applying to both Trinity and King's. One is absolutely fine, but it is generally not recommended to apply to two of the "big three" (King's, Trinity, St John's). There's a few reasons for this but principally it comes down to delays in acceptance and chances of rejection. Because they are all wealthy/famous/picturesque, lots and lots of people apply to them, and it can take quite a while for them to process your application.

Basically, at PG level it works as follows: You list a first and second preference for colleges during the application. Once (or if) you've been accepted onto your course, then your first choice college considers your application. If they reject you, then your application is passed to your second choice. If they also reject you, then your application gets passed sequentially to another three colleges with vacancies. You will get admitted to a college, but it might be one you never even considered.

Now the basic problem with applying to both Trinity and Kings is that, as I said, they get so many applications so the chances of rejection are higher. And because they get so many, they are notoriously slow in making a decision. Anecdotally, I know of people who applied to two of the big three and waited upwards of three months, only to find out that both colleges had rejected them. They then had to wait even longer for allocation to a different college, and they had no idea which colleges were considering them. This delay can then have knock-on effects for things like accommodation, consideration of college-specific funding and scholarships, etc. It is very much in your interest to be accepted to a college as soon as possible.

With that in mind, I would really suggest applying to either Trinity or King's, plus another. If you want a large postgrad community then think about Jesus or Caius; if you want more modern facilities then maybe look at somewhere like Wolfson. Just spend a bit of time thinking about which college best matches your living preferences. And all colleges offer some kind of postgrad funding opportunities, and funding certainly isn't guaranteed at the big three.

But look, please don't be worried if you have already applied - you may absolutely get into either of them, in which case there's no issue. And if you get accepted onto the course then you will get into a college, even if it's not one of your preferences. And every college is great in its own way, so in some senses it doesn't matter a great deal, especially at PG level.

Thanks so much, I haven't applied yet I just did some research and put them in a corner of my mind. I'll definitely take your advice, thanks once again.

I honestly am a little hesitant on applying to colleges that have good scholarship opportunities, say, for a particular MPhil. What happens is that a ton of people from that MPhil end up applying and you have a much lower chance of getting in and very little of getting the scholarship. Of course, if it’s an incredibly specific studentship (this is for Peruvians researching baroque architecture) it’s different. But it’s such a hard balance to figure out!
Original post by Ethelreda
I honestly am a little hesitant on applying to colleges that have good scholarship opportunities, say, for a particular MPhil. What happens is that a ton of people from that MPhil end up applying and you have a much lower chance of getting in and very little of getting the scholarship. Of course, if it’s an incredibly specific studentship (this is for Peruvians researching baroque architecture) it’s different. But it’s such a hard balance to figure out!

I agree with you and it is a risky strategy.
Reply 37
Hi guys! Mature student here.

Current university: Glasgow
Degree: English Literature
Classification: First (predicted, skating on thin ice!)
College preference: Wolfson, Jesus

I’m essentially after a bit of funding advice, as a postgrad degree simply won’t be possible without it. Any colleges keen with the literature funding?

My research interests - and my current and likely my postgrad dissertation - are Raymond Williams’s The Country and The City as a framework for the comparative study of texts with strong rural and urban themes.

Can’t wait to take this momentous journey together. Best of luck to all x
Reply 38
U.S. applicant here -- my Mphil app just moved to 'under review' for what it's worth... I'm also a Gates Cambridge applicant. Plan to update, but not share too much info to maintain anonymity.

I think the earliest to hear back is Nov/Dec, which I've based on past student room postings
Great - thanks for the feedback. The community culture is definitely what I'm seeking, as well on-site accommodation/closeness to facilities. Corpus Christi/Leckhampton seems like a similar setup in that the MCR/postgrad community is bubbled away. I've got no problem living in dorm-like facilities although an en-suite room would be preferable, I guess it's similar to when I've had to live from hotels during much of my working life! :smile:

I'm drawn to Selwyn as it to have more of a community feel however I was a little concerned re: the age differential. I never got into Harry Potter (or TikTok, for that matter!), so the lack of gothic architecture and 18 year olds at Wolfson both suit me fine! :smile:

Just a small note on 'translation'. in the UK a 'dorm' is a large room with rows of beds where children at boarding school used to sleep pre 1980, or where junior soldiers sleep in training. There are no 'dorms' in universities, and although the UK will understand you mean 'sleeping accommodation' they won't understand what you mean beyond that, ie one bedroom, a suite, an en-suite, shared bathroom etc.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending