The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Preferred name on student id

i’m an intl student starting in sep,i was wondering if i can put my preferred name instead of legal on my student id?do all unis allow it,i’ll be going to southampton
Idk if Southampton allows it but I do think that you should do what makes you most comfortable. I wasn't firm enough on wanting my preferred name on my student ID for Sixth Form, and I've spent the whole year regretting it, feeling uncomfortable, trying to hide my name on the ID with bits of tape and tucking it into my shirt. Don't make my mistakes- it will only make dysphoria (or uncomfortablness/ social awkwardness if you don't feel dysphoria) that much worse.
Best of luck!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
i’m an intl student starting in sep,i was wondering if i can put my preferred name instead of legal on my student id?do all unis allow it,i’ll be going to southampton

Hi,

Amazing to hear that you will be studying at the University of Southampton in September.

When you first start this will be covered in your induction, and as part of subscribing to your university accounts you can specify your preferred name, this will then be used for your student ID card and email.

If you have any other questions related to starting uni please ask.

Good luck,

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending