The Student Room Group

Childrens nursing/ applying to uni

Anyone starting childrens nursing?!
just finished 6th form and havent started uni yet but i need some advice on how to cope with the exam/s coursework etc.... any idea about placement and whats the £5k bursary we get from nhs, where can we use the money and does anyone have resources that will help me :smile: please message me !!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by FAZE_KAYE
just finished 6th form and havent started uni yet but i need some advice on how to cope with the exam/s coursework etc.... any idea about placement and whats the £5k bursary we get from nhs, where can we use the money and does anyone have resources that will help me :smile: please message me !!

The NHS bursary is for medics and dentistry students. For nursing (and AHP courses) you will be eligible for support from the NHS Learning Support Fund if you study at a uni in England. It offers a £5,000 annual training grant, parental support (if you have dependent children) and it covers transport/additional accommodation fees for placements. More info here:

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf
Reply 2

Hello there, I’m starting my first year studying MNurs adult and child nursing in a week so can help with the bursary question. The NHS learning fund is money from the NHS to help with your studies, it is not a loan so you will not need to pay it back, it is intended to ensure you can afford the study as healthcare courses require additional costs that other courses do not. That being said it is your money to spend, you will get £5k a year and it is paid in instalments. It’s useful to spend it buying any equipment you need and for accommodation. However another benefit that you can have is having some money reimbursed for any travel or accom you need for placement.
Reply 3
Original post by Feeb_05
Hello there, I’m starting my first year studying MNurs adult and child nursing in a week so can help with the bursary question. The NHS learning fund is money from the NHS to help with your studies, it is not a loan so you will not need to pay it back, it is intended to ensure you can afford the study as healthcare courses require additional costs that other courses do not. That being said it is your money to spend, you will get £5k a year and it is paid in instalments. It’s useful to spend it buying any equipment you need and for accommodation. However another benefit that you can have is having some money reimbursed for any travel or accom you need for placement.

When you say equipment... could you tell me more about what equipment :smile:

Hi! I've just finished my first year studying children's nursing so hopefully can offer some advice. In regards to preparing to begin your course, I can only suggest taking time to relax and enjoy the time off, and try not to worry too much about it. I remember feeling very worried about starting my degree and wondered how I was going to manage the assignments and coursework. From experience all I can say is to manage your time appropriately, make the most of the material/content provided in lectures and utilise the study support available at university. Everyone is in the same boat so try not to worry too much, even though I know it can be daunting! Once you've started you will be able to see what needs doing and when it is due, it should help you manage your time! If you enjoy the course and are passionate about children's nursing, you'll enjoy the content and the placements, which will make the process more enjoyable and less overwhelming! You will have a wide range of placements and will learn so much, so be proactive, ask questions and don't be afraid to ask for support if you need it.

Best of luck with starting your nursing journey, I'm sure you'll love it!
I hope this has helped :smile:
Ruth
WrexhamUniReps
WrexhamUniReps
Reply 5
When you say equipment... could you tell me more about what equipment :smile:

Our equipments list consists of things such as fob watches and the usual pens and notebooks and folders. However, people also like to invest in a name badge (these are supplied but people get their own on Etsy especially for children’s nursing as they’re nicer), stethoscopes are not necessary as they are provided but some people like to get their own especially if they’re going into resp, as well as bp cuffs which are also provided but are useful to have your own if you’re thinking of working in a gp practise.
It also helps to purchase things like a good bag for placement, shoes and compression socks. Also many people purchase a customised fleece but that isn’t necessary just nice to have and show pride in being an nhs worker.
Reply 6
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
Hi! I've just finished my first year studying children's nursing so hopefully can offer some advice. In regards to preparing to begin your course, I can only suggest taking time to relax and enjoy the time off, and try not to worry too much about it. I remember feeling very worried about starting my degree and wondered how I was going to manage the assignments and coursework. From experience all I can say is to manage your time appropriately, make the most of the material/content provided in lectures and utilise the study support available at university. Everyone is in the same boat so try not to worry too much, even though I know it can be daunting! Once you've started you will be able to see what needs doing and when it is due, it should help you manage your time! If you enjoy the course and are passionate about children's nursing, you'll enjoy the content and the placements, which will make the process more enjoyable and less overwhelming! You will have a wide range of placements and will learn so much, so be proactive, ask questions and don't be afraid to ask for support if you need it.

Best of luck with starting your nursing journey, I'm sure you'll love it!
I hope this has helped :smile:
Ruth
WrexhamUniReps
WrexhamUniReps

Hey since you finished ur 1st year, is it possible you can send me any practice questions or revison materials....anything which will make me have a headstart before i start :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Feeb_05
Our equipments list consists of things such as fob watches and the usual pens and notebooks and folders. However, people also like to invest in a name badge (these are supplied but people get their own on Etsy especially for children’s nursing as they’re nicer), stethoscopes are not necessary as they are provided but some people like to get their own especially if they’re going into resp, as well as bp cuffs which are also provided but are useful to have your own if you’re thinking of working in a gp practise.
It also helps to purchase things like a good bag for placement, shoes and compression socks. Also many people purchase a customised fleece but that isn’t necessary just nice to have and show pride in being an nhs worker.

Is a fobwatch necessary? lookss abit odd xD
Reply 8
Is a fobwatch necessary? lookss abit odd xD

Yes haha. It’s a necessity for nurses to be able to take many readings such as respiratory rates I’m afraid. Some people use their Apple Watches as you can get adaptations for them to turn them from wristwatches to fob watches.
Hey since you finished ur 1st year, is it possible you can send me any practice questions or revison materials....anything which will make me have a headstart before i start :smile:

Hi! Unfortunately I'm unable to send over any practice questions/papers, and it's important to bear in mind that each university will assess students differently and have different questions on exams. I really wouldn't worry about getting ahead before you start because they won't expect much from you in terms of in-depth knowledge - they will cover everything you need to know once you've started, and provide you with recommended textbooks/practice papers and so on. I know it can be tempting to get stuck in and ahead before starting a nursing course, but I would suggest to relax and enjoy the summer break before everything gets busy! In your first week your lecturers will provide links to relevant/recommended material for you to look at which is relevant to your assessments for the year.

Best of luck with starting your first year - you'll be great :smile:
Ruth
WrexhamUniReps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending