The Student Room Group

applying to child nursing and midwifery

hi so i'm a second year college student i'm applying for university for the coming year and i would like to go into midwifery or nursing i havn't fully decided yet is the problem though and was planning on applying to both but i read somewhere that i shouldn't apply to both as the uni would reject me i was just wondering if this was true and i do understand the diffrence between the two i was just hoping for some insight or help
If you're applying for UK unis through Ucas, the universities you apply to will not be able to see any of the universities/courses you have applied to - they will only see your application for their course at their university. However, your personal statement will be probably lean more towards nursing or midwifery and they'd be able to guess from that.

Apply for one or the other, it isn't recommended to apply to two subjects like midwifery and nursing at once due to how competitive they are.

Whatever you do, good luck and I hope it goes well :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by favorable-cat
hi so i'm a second year college student i'm applying for university for the coming year and i would like to go into midwifery or nursing i havn't fully decided yet is the problem though and was planning on applying to both but i read somewhere that i shouldn't apply to both as the uni would reject me i was just wondering if this was true and i do understand the diffrence between the two i was just hoping for some insight or help

Hi

I would strongly recommend that you don't put in a application for both midwifery and children nursing at the same time.
Reasons for this is that the university will look at your application for those two and will think that you are not interested in doing one so therefore probably reject your application at this stage.

Here's what you should do - if you're 110% sure that you want to become a midwife then you should concern your personal statement on why you want to be a midwife.
The same senerio goes for if you want to be a children nurse then solely concentrate your personal statement etc on this one.
You'll be up against thousands upon thousands of potential students who will also be applying for midwifery but there's only a very limited number of people who'll be offered a place on the midwifery degree course because of how highly competitive it is and also the training is intense as reasons why they only take in limited number of potential students, unlike children and adult nursing they take thousands more in.

If you apply for midwifery okay then if by chance you get offered a interview but you don't get offered a place on the midwifery degree course you might be offered an alternative nursing course like adult nursing and it will probably be similar for children nursing you might be offered an alternative course if you are unsuccessful

.A NHS registered midwife

Hi there,

Echoing what the other people have said, have a reflect and think about what course you'd prefer to do. Have you enrolled on an open day with a university? If you haven't already, I strongly recommend you do so, as you'll be able to see what both courses are like, and get a feel for which one you'd prefer to apply for. Plus, you'd be able to ask current students on those courses and staff and some universities (like LJMU) offer mock exams and some guidance on personal statements.

Good luck!

Nat (Current adult nursing student)
Reply 4
Original post by cloverpatches111
If you're applying for UK unis through Ucas, the universities you apply to will not be able to see any of the universities/courses you have applied to - they will only see your application for their course at their university. However, your personal statement will be probably lean more towards nursing or midwifery and they'd be able to guess from that.

Apply for one or the other, it isn't recommended to apply to two subjects like midwifery and nursing at once due to how competitive they are.

Whatever you do, good luck and I hope it goes well :biggrin::biggrin:

Main issue is - especially with your thread title - you need to pick between nursing and midwifery.
Children's nursing is about children.
Midwifery is about pregnant women and is definitely not about babies/small children.
You can go adult nursing to midwifery (via a top-up course, but these are very few and far between, and becoming fewer) but not children's nursing to midwifery.
So, the question is, do you want to care for children (under 18s, sometimes under 16s) or adults/pregnant women? Midwifery is definitely more competitive than any branch of nursing.

Hi,

I would recommend that you try and decide which one you are more passionate about and aim your personal statement at that degree as if you're mentioning both in your PS then it may come across that you are indecisive about what career you want to pursue.

I would echo what others have said and try to attend an open day with a labs simulation so that you can get a feel for each degree and see which one your gut is telling you to go with as it's so important in healthcare courses to be passionate about your courses that you can deliver the best care to your patients while on placements.

I hope this is of some help to you and I would say to do what you feel most passionate about as then you can talk about your passion in your PS and interviews which will help massively with your application!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nurse)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending